How will they get me to my train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

cheapfurcoat

I have been monitoring the habitual lateness of the northbound Coast Starlight. The train has not made the connection with the Empire Builder in at least two weeks. In 4 weeks I will be trying to make that connection.

So I call Amtrak.

The person I spoke with was polite but rather vague in his claim of, "we will get you to your train".

I asked him if a bus would be at the Klamath Falls station once it became obvious that the CS was hopelessly late. He said he did not know (?)

Now could somebody please explain to me just how a bus traveling back roads is going to catch up to a 65mph train once it gets going?

I was also told that if I rent a car and do the drive to Portland myself, there will be no refund of my fare for that portion of the trip.

What is up with that?

First off, the train probably won't be going 65 MPH with all the curves along the river.

However, the real time savings with the bus, is thanks to that old adage, the shortest distance between to points is a straight line. The Coast Starlight runs basically due north, while the Builder runs due east. That forms a 90 degree corner. However just path Kalamath-Falls the Starlight takes a sharp turn and runs west for a ways.

The bus bridge between the two trains will be running north-east along that proverbial straight line. So it will be covering less miles and will therefor be able to make up some time. You should also know however that the bus will not bring you to Portland, you will join the Builder at a stop further down the line. Which stop you'll board at will be based on just how late the Starlight is.

Of course if the Starlight it super late, then you could find yourself remaining on the train to Portland and then spending the night in a hotel room courtesy of Amtrak.

Yeah you shouldn't worry too much. I missed several connections, yet they are very courtious at getting me there. Weather it be by bus, give me some cash for food and cab fare, and put me in a descent hotel. If you can't be delayed for a day, then they will fly you if you have to be at your final destination on the actual day of your scheduled arrival. The person you talked to on the phone really can not know what they do, because it can be slightly different everyday. When you return, if there is any part of the trip you were dissatisfied with, simply call the customer service and they will take your complaint and give you a travel voucher or anything else. (I got a free first class upgrade once)

So hope you have a good trip. Remember to just sit back and enjoy. The Starlight and Empire Builder are one of the best American routes to ride.

Chris

They no longer have the satisfaction guarantee. They'll still give out travel vouchers, but it has to be for something really bad, not "anything you [are] dissatisfied with."

We took the Starlight and Empire Builder eariler this month. Rather then risk a misconnection we planned an overnight at Portland.

Connecting passengers on the northbound Starlight, which was running about 2 hours late, were advised that they would be bussed from Eugene to connect with with # 28 at Portland.

The next afternoon the Empire Builder's departure was about 45 minutes late waiting for the connecting passenger's bus to arrive.

The thing is, if I miss that connection I will lose my Family Bedroom reservation to Chicago. Therefore I CANNOT miss that connection.

Riding in Coach with a 3 year old and a po`ed wife for 2 1/2 days will not even begin to describe "dissatisfied". :unsure:

Last year we were bussed from Eugene to Portland. The EB was waiting about a half hour, plus dinner was in our room ready for us with a free bottle of wine. Spot

Well, I cancelled the Portland-Klamath Falls, Klamath Falls- Portland portion of our trip.

I have reserved a Ford Escape to rent in Portland and we will drive to Klamath Falls and back.

I just did not want to take any chances on not catching that eastbound Builder.

Julie with Amtrak reservations was very cordial and arranged for a full refund of the cancelled portion of the trip.

Now all we need is for Mt. St. Helens to erupt and screw up the whole plan. :unsure:

Mt. St. Helens is 50 miles North of Portland. The Builder heads east at Vancouver so it's unlikely it would cause a disruption to that train if it blew it's top. The Starlight and Cascades would be the services in the most trouble.

-Firebert

Back