How would I get my tickets?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviva_dawn

Train Attendant
I'm traveling RIV-BFD-SKN-SAC-SLT on Thanksgiving day and returning the following Monday. I don't get paid until next Thursday and cannot buy my ticket until then. I don't want to risk recieving my tickets late by mail if I order online and cannot go into San Berdoo to pick them up. (Isn't the ticket office there closed anyway?)

I'm calling Amtrak to reserve my tickets but am unsure about what the drill after that is.

If I have no tickets, how would I be able to get on the first bus (RIV-BFD)? Would I be given a confirmation # to present to the driver and then pick up the rest of my tickets in BFD or what?

Thanks

While it will cost you a few bucks more, you can request Express Delivery of your tickets. More info can be found here on Amtrak's website.

You are on the right track aviva. I have taken the Amtrak California trains and thruway buses many times (including the specific one you will be traveling on) so I am very familiar with how ticketing works and understand your concerns.

What you need to do is call Amtrak at 800-USA-RAIL and make your reservation now, but tell the agent you want to pay for the tickets in cash; that way they won't make you pay for them and have them mailed to you now. They will enter your reservation into the computer system and give you a reservation number. Write down that reservation number and when you show up to board the thruway bus you will need to give the coach driver your valid government-issued photo id along with that reservation number. When you get to Bakersfield you can go in the station and pay for your tickets at the ticket counter; the station agent will return your photo id at that time.

Even though the schedule only shows 15 minutes between the thruway bus arrival and the northbound train's departure timel, all the thruway buses usually (barring unusual or extreme traffic) arrive fifteen minutes earlier than scheduled so you will have plenty of time to purchase your tickets and check any bags.

San Bernardino DOES remain unstaffed so going there wouldn't really help you. Your closest staffed Amtrak stations would be Fullerton or Los Angeles-Union Station, but going to them in advance to pick up the tickets would be a waste of time since all ticketing can be done at Bekersfield when you arrive on the thruway motorcoach.

Back