Hurricane Gustav

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They've already stopped the Crescent at Atlanta. I saw it stopped on the spur to an old steel plant (I think) next to the station this afternoon.Why do they stop in Atlanta? Why not Birmingham which won't be majorly affected, or Tuscaloosa where they could do an immediate about face, and not have to "stop" at all?
Birmingham station:

http://flickr.com/photos/ckphotoz/2231985841/

Looks like there's some room to park there.

How could they do an immediate about face in Tuscaloosa? Is there a "wye" there?

http://flickr.com/photos/hunter1828/963721611/ Tuscaloosa station

Looks like there's possibly room there too. Can't be hard to find a siding around town that could be used...?

They could run the locomotives around the train couldn't they? They'd have to place them back to back in New York isntead of elephant style like they do now, and it'd mean running the sleepers and baggage car in the very back, but why not?

I suspect the reasons those turnaround points were chosen were at least partly economic. Maybe Amtrak figured that the number of passenger boardings at Birmingham alone wasn't high enough to justify continuing the train past Atlanta.

According to postings on the "City of New Orleans Train" Yahoo Group, two FEMA trains left New Orleans for Memphis today. FEMA 1 had 16 Superliner cars and 4 single-level coaches, while FEMA 2 was expected to consist entirely of single-level equipment. Most of the single-level cars are coaches kept in N.O. for an emergency such as this, though some Crescent equipment may be used as well.
It's not known if additional trips will be made later this weekend, but it's considered a definite possibility.
Go Amtrak!

Yeah!

Good Job NOL & Good Luck!!!

They've already stopped the Crescent at Atlanta. I saw it stopped on the spur to an old steel plant (I think) next to the station this afternoon.Why do they stop in Atlanta? Why not Birmingham which won't be majorly affected, or Tuscaloosa where they could do an immediate about face, and not have to "stop" at all?
Birmingham station:

http://flickr.com/photos/ckphotoz/2231985841/

Looks like there's some room to park there.

How could they do an immediate about face in Tuscaloosa? Is there a "wye" there?

http://flickr.com/photos/hunter1828/963721611/ Tuscaloosa station

Looks like there's possibly room there too. Can't be hard to find a siding around town that could be used...?
First of all Birmingham is NOT a crew base. (Atlanta to Meridian, MS with a second engineer is the regular run.)It is a dingy station that does load a few numbers. There are no real facilities to service the train. Atlanta, last time I rode, had a carman who does the 1,000 mile brake test and changes an occasional brake shoe. As small as it is Atlanta is more prepared to accommodate a truncation. Also. Amtrak has to figure that this might be a Katrina style truncation where it may be months before trains are able to run into NOL (not to be confused with the stonewalling of the Sunset.) Tuscaloosa might work but the mileage run from Atlanta would hardly justify the handful of pax who board at Anniston, Birmingham and Tuscaloosa.

According to postings on the "City of New Orleans Train" Yahoo Group, two FEMA trains left New Orleans for Memphis today. FEMA 1 had 16 Superliner cars and 4 single-level coaches, while FEMA 2 was expected to consist entirely of single-level equipment. Most of the single-level cars are coaches kept in N.O. for an emergency such as this, though some Crescent equipment may be used as well.
It's not known if additional trips will be made later this weekend, but it's considered a definite possibility.
Go Amtrak!

Yeah!

Good Job NOL & Good Luck!!!
An NPR report from about an hour ago had a reporter at NOUPT saying it was packed, that trains were being efficiently loaded and departing according to the evacuation plan schedule, and that everything was proceeding like clockwork. EMTs are on board the trains to care for any medical needs. Trains are all going to Memphis (as has already been noted here).

YAY!

One question--are the SPVs self-propelling themselves to Memphis, or are they functioning as coaches and being pulled by P42s (or other diesels)?

Oh, and a second question--are these trains running non-stop (not even a crew change) straight from NOL to Memphis, with top priority and everything short of spiked switches? What's the top running speed for that track, and what's the shortest possible running time? How much faster is it than the CONL?

Last edited by a moderator:
had8ley
Can you take a 15 storm surge?

http://bulletin.aarp.org/states/la/article...for_gustav.html

AARP Bulletin:

A Louisiana State University scientist working with state emergency preparedness officials warned late Friday that Gustav could push as much as 15 feet of storm surge onto a wide stretch of the state's coastline west of New Orleans..
I sure hope so... we are about 30 miles north west of Lake Maurepas which is connected to Lake Pontchatrain. Any turbulance from either will send the Tickfaw River headed our way. We are .6 miles from the Tickfaw but in non-flood area for the time being...

The posters on that Yahoo group are wrong. Amtrak had kept 24 single level Amfleet I cars in the NOL area for over two years after Katrina. However, those cars were removed from the NOL area shortly after last year's hurricane season was over. All 24 cars were shuttled back to Bear yard in Delaware and a few of them even now are finally getting the needed work done and returned to normal service.

Do the SPVs have the ability to use regular HEP connectors to get electricity from a P42 or other regular locomotive?

When FEMA is in charge, are the hours of service restrictions for the crew still in effect?

The posters on that Yahoo group are wrong. Amtrak had kept 24 single level Amfleet I cars in the NOL area for over two years after Katrina. However, those cars were removed from the NOL area shortly after last year's hurricane season was over. All 24 cars were shuttled back to Bear yard in Delaware and a few of them even now are finally getting the needed work done and returned to normal service.
The single-level cars that were stationed in NOL this summer weren't the Amfleet I cars that were kept there last summer ... according to the group's posters, the emergency cars kept in NOL this year were coaches borrowed from Connecticut DOT.

The single-level cars that were stationed in NOL this summer weren't the Amfleet I cars that were kept there last summer ... according to the group's posters, the emergency cars kept in NOL this year were coaches borrowed from Connecticut DOT.
Interesting you should mention those CDOT cars. I saw a YouTube video just last night where the Crescent was rolling through Austell, GA trailing 5 of the CDOTs.

Another update, again compiled from reports on the CNO Yahoo Group:

The FEMA-1 evacuation train is made up of the last inbound consists of the CNO and the Sunset to make it into New Orleans, along with 4 of the former Connecticut DOT coaches that had been kept in New Orleans for emergencies. That train got to Memphis yesterday evening and arrived back in New Orleans early this afternoon, presumably to make another evacuation run north.

The FEMA-2 train includes the equipment off the last inbound Crescent, along with 5 of the emergency coaches. It arrived in Memphis later last night. No information has been posted on its current status this morning, but I would guess that it's probably on its way south again now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Way to go Marc Magliari (sp), Amtrak spokesman!

He just spelled out Amtrak's accomplishments on the cable weather channel. They let him speak at length. The last train leaves N'Orleans between 3 and 5 or so this afternoon (Saturday). He distinctly mentioned the coming down of the flood gates as the limiting factor. He mentioned the omission of Amtrak usage during Katrina. He said the trains were carrying over 1,000 people (each, think he said) towards Memphis where they were being released to FEMA's care. He said the trains were being cleaned and refueled in N'Orleans. I didn't get the sense that they were all elderly at this point. It appeared that they had to come down to the UP Terminal and register before getting on the train.

The blurb is sure to be repeated. It's an Amtrak coup to have him on the spot to make the case for Amtrak.

I wonder where these evacuation trains are unloading in Memphis, since the route into Central Station from the south is presumably still closed by that sinkhole?

Way to go Marc Magliari (sp), Amtrak spokesman!
He just spelled out Amtrak's accomplishments on the cable weather channel. They let him speak at length. The last train leaves N'Orleans between 3 and 5 or so this afternoon (Saturday). He distinctly mentioned the coming down of the flood gates as the limiting factor. He mentioned the omission of Amtrak usage during Katrina. He said the trains were carrying over 1,000 people (each, think he said) towards Memphis where they were being released to FEMA's care. He said the trains were being cleaned and refueled in N'Orleans. I didn't get the sense that they were all elderly at this point. It appeared that they had to come down to the UP Terminal and register before getting on the train.

The blurb is sure to be repeated. It's an Amtrak coup to have him on the spot to make the case for Amtrak.
Fantastic! I just went to weather.com, then clicked over to the television section (the Weather Channel's official page), looking for this clip. I didn't find the interview with Magliari, but I did watch half a dozen 60-90-second clips about storm preparedness and evacuation, several of which showed brief 1-2-second video of people boarding trains (specifically, CDOT and Superliner cars) along with several mentions of Amtrak and train evacuation. Just brief mentions, no specifics, in those clips, but buses were not receiving much more mention in specific so it's nearly "equal air time" :)

Going back to a thread from long ago, another difference between the Katrina and Gustav evacuations is that this time people are allowed to bring pets on official evacuation vehicles. They didn't explicitly say "pets are traveling on trains as well as buses", but they showed official evacuation pet carriers (presumably for those bringing their dogs on leashes--anyone with a cat already has one) in huge stacks at NOUPT, it's broadly announced that people can bring pets, and officials say the response has been overwhelming--many people who refused to leave last time are readily willing to leave early this time because of this policy change.

CNN FEMA spokesman on now (Sunday) said that there was 1 train today versus 2 yesterday. He said that there were 3 floodgates which each had to be closed as soon as the train passed.

Pets were going in air conditioned trucks in carriers...had read previously that they were chipped so that they could be reunited more quickly with their owners.

Poor sods. After Katrina you might have thought they could get on with their lives and return to some sort of normality. Hope it works out for the best and there is no huge loss of life like last time.

At least there seems to be some sort of plan this time.....

Here's an excellent hurricane tracker. It looks like the Amtrak cities of N'Orleans, Houma, Beaumont, and Houston stand to be affected badly.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26295161
And it looks like as the week goes along, the Texas Eagle and Heartland Flyer could come under the gun as well, especially if this holds on as an "inland hurricane."
It's not often that America thanks Cuba for anything, but for Gustav we should take a moment to consider Cuba's loss and be thankful that they probably spared us a lot of damage--the landfall over Cuba knocked Gustav from Cat 5 to Cat 3 and destabilized its eye. While it may pick up again, and while it's still huge, there's notably less wind in Gustav today than there was yesterday. Given that hurricanes tend to lose two Cats upon landfall, the difference between going from 5-3 and going from 4-2 (or maybe even 3-1) will make a huge difference on any effect upon the Eagle and Flyer.

Hopefully Amtrak won't use this hurricane as an excuse to cut more service.

Compliments of Shawn Levy in Amite, LA, Chris and other e-mail reports:

Amtrak is shuttling 2 "evacuation" trainsets from New Orleans to Memphis. The trains are operating "pull-pull" with a pair of P42 locomotives at each end. The trainsets are:

FEMA 1 (City of New Orleans and Sunset Limited equipment)

AMTK 87 P42DC

AMTK 63 P42DC

AMTK 1203 Baggage Car

AMTK 39024 Superliner II Transition Sleeper

AMTK 32077 Superliner II Sleeping Car

AMTK 38065 Superliner II Dining Car

AMTK 33035 Superliner II Sightseer Lounge

AMTK 34030 Superliner I Coach

AMTK 34008 Superliner I Coach

AMTK 34052 Superliner I Coach

AMTK 34116 Superliner II Coach

AMTK 31035 Superliner I Coach Baggage

AMTK 37006 Superliner I Cross Country Cafe

AMTK 39013 Superliner II Transition Sleeper

CDOT 1673 Commuter Car

CDOT 1625 Commuter Car

CDOT 1633 Commuter Car

CDOT 1671 Commuter Car

AMTK 68 P42DC

AMTK 139 P42DC

FEMA 2 (Crescent equipment)

AMTK 13 P42DC

AMTK 12 P42DC

CDOT 1001 Commuter Car

CDOT 1621 Commuter Car

CDOT 1623 Commuter Car

CDOT 1629 Commuter Car

CDOT 1675 Commuter Car

AMTK 25107 Amfleet II Coach

AMTK 25058 Amfleet II Coach

AMTK 25074 Amfleet II Coach

AMTK 25027 Amfleet II Coach

AMTK 25016 Amfleet II Coach

AMTK 28022 Amfleet II Cafe/Lounge

AMTK 62025 Viewliner Sleeper NORTHERN VIEW

AMTK 62022 Viewliner Sleeper MOUNTAIN VIEW

AMTK 1762 Baggage Car

AMTK 169 P42DC

AMTK 22 P42DC

The CDOT cars are the retired Budd SPVs.

The trains are operating on a "load and go" basis - no set schedule. Each trainset is expected to have 1000 to 1500 evacuees per load, and make 4 evacuation trips (8 total).

FEMA 1 left New Orleans Saturday at 11:30 as Amtrak 87 North. The train suffered an air problem (reports vary; air hose or air line) and was delayed enroute. The train passed Hammond, LA at 13:52.

FEMA 2 left New Orleans Saturday at approximately 3:00 as Amtrak 13 North. The train passed Hammond, LA at 16:54.

Photos by Shawn Levy:

FEMA 1 north end

FEMA 1 south end

FEMA 1 CDOT 1625

FEMA 1 CDOT 1671

FEMA 2 (Crescent equipment)
AMTK 13 P42DC

AMTK 12 P42DC

CDOT 1001 Commuter Car

CDOT 1621 Commuter Car

CDOT 1623 Commuter Car

CDOT 1629 Commuter Car

CDOT 1675 Commuter Car

AMTK 25107 Amfleet II Coach

AMTK 25058 Amfleet II Coach

AMTK 25074 Amfleet II Coach

AMTK 25027 Amfleet II Coach

AMTK 25016 Amfleet II Coach

AMTK 28022 Amfleet II Cafe/Lounge

AMTK 62025 Viewliner Sleeper NORTHERN VIEW

AMTK 62022 Viewliner Sleeper MOUNTAIN VIEW

AMTK 1762 Baggage Car

AMTK 169 P42DC

AMTK 22 P42DC
What did they do with the Heritage Diner from the Crescent trainset?

I assume there's no food service; are they using the diners and cafes for "coach seating"?

Are they doing anything with the baggage cars, or are they just along for the ride?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back