I am still going to ride the train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I'm in Coach, I find a vacant pair of seats and immediately go to building my nest, giving the impression 2 people are in those seats. And then if someone looks like they may want to take the seat next to mine, I growl at them and that is usually enough to move them along :p

I loved your story. I was reading it on my cell phone on the bus on the way home and I nearly burst out laughing. But I stopped myself, thinking someone on the bus probably writes their own blog and it would be on the internet about this lunatic (me) laughing to himself.
Glad to provide a laugh. It was amusing.

Dan

I have had only one "strange" trip and it was on the CZ about 2 years ago. It was a "sale" so we got alot of people who either hitchhike or take Greyhound, the train was full and my seat mate was a gang guy from California who had just been released from prison and was going to Chicago to see family that didn't really care for how he lived his life. He was an atheist and his family was Jehovah Witnesses. I'm pretty open to people wether they are homeless, gay, aethist, religious, black, white...whatever. I think parts of the conversation he had with me he was trying to "scare" me, and I just didn't buy into it. After awhile, he realized I wasn't fearful of him and we ended up having a really good visit on the CZ that was packed and running 12 hours behind. With Amtrak, I have seen all kinds!

When I'm in Coach, I find a vacant pair of seats and immediately go to building my nest, giving the impression 2 people are in those seats. And then if someone looks like they may want to take the seat next to mine, I growl at them and that is usually enough to move them along :p
...and if caught you should be required to immediately pay double for the other seat or be drop kicked off at the nearest cactus (water source) in the middle of the desert or some similarily desolate area! Just kidding of course! :unsure:

...and if caught you should be required to immediately pay double for the other seat or be drop kicked off at the nearest cactus (water source) in the middle of the desert or some similarily desolate area! Just kidding of course! :unsure:
Which brings up an interesting point which I think will be NO based on AMTRAKS TOC. Can you buy a ticket for the empty seat next to you if you wish to "spread out" and leave it empty for your use? Kind of like roomette lite :lol: .

Which brings up an interesting point which I think will be NO based on AMTRAKS TOC. Can you buy a ticket for the empty seat next to you if you wish to "spread out" and leave it empty for your use? Kind of like roomette lite :lol: .
Very large folks can for airplane flights. In fact, I knew one guy who had to buy two seats as he wouldn't fit in one.

"she was with another man who appeared to be her husband/boyfriend."

Guess again. She found another "husband".

Our Lounge Car Attendant on my last trip said he has heard of folks doing just that, buying 2 seats in Coach to assure they have a vacant next to them. And of course, if the train is to the point where it's down to final vacant seats, I'm happy to let someone sit next to me (and just pray I don't lose the "seat partner lottery.")

If you want to keep the seat next to you free, instead of putting all your stuff on it, tap it and smile at each passenger who looks like they might want to sit there - they'll get freaked out and find another seat :D

She ran into us near the train and said, "Oh my gosh I am glad you are here. I thought maybe I had missed my stop." NOTE--Her stop was Chicago, same as ours. It was also the last possible stop for the train. I would think even the most geographically challenged person may see that Albuquerque and it's dry, dusty appearance is NOT Chicago.
Even if she was geographically challenged, I think it would be very hard to miss the last stop - especially since CUS is a stub end track! :lol:
Except on the Silver Streak :D

I take the bus in to NY for work. Occasionally, I see people like this who sit on the outside and spread out to take up both seats. Nothing better than saying "excuse me" and then they are obligated to let you sit there. The best is when they look up and see a bunch of empty seats farther back. :lol:

If you pay for one seat, you should sit in that seat, and then use the luggage racks for the purposes intended.

I tend to agree that you should only be entitled to one seat. Even buying a second ticket to me is unethical because in the event of a sold-out train, you've just denied someone else the right to that space and in so doing, the transportation to their destination. Pretty self absorbed and petty if you ask me.

I'm on the 194 right now be there are no armrests between the seats in coach. I've also been listening to teenagers sing for five hours and am so glad that I reach my destination in 20 minutes.

No, they were not on key :( They were loud and miserable, and when another passenger asked them to quiet down, they refused. They were quite intimidating and I was thrilled when they detrained at 128, leaving me with 20 minutes of quiet until I got to Boston.

No, they were not on key :( They were loud and miserable, and when another passenger asked them to quiet down, they refused. They were quite intimidating and I was thrilled when they detrained at 128, leaving me with 20 minutes of quiet until I got to Boston.

After asking them once, I would have brought it to the attention of the attendant (away from their presence) since other pax were also irritated. No passenger should cause you to feel intimidated. If you had concerns about their possibly getting off at the same stop as you, the response would be different.

Its easy. Walk to the cafe car, tell the conductor of the problem, buy yourself some food, and walk back, innocently sitting down to enjoy your meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back