I feel like I cheated the system!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squeakz2001

Service Attendant
A couple of weeks ago, hubby and I booked our tickets from CIN to KIS. We booked roomettes the whole way through the trip. I went online yesterday to see if the prices had gone up yet (to see what a good deal I had gotten) and was surprised to see that, for one leg of my trip, a bedroom was actually cheaper than a roomette! So I called AMTRAK to see if I could upgrade to a bedroom for that leg, and the poor operator couldnt figure out what I was talking about. She said that roomettes are always cheaper than bedrooms, so this is not possible. After about 10 minutes of telling her that I was staring at it on my computer right then, she finally found the bedroom that was indeed cheaper than the roomette on my train and switched the reservation over. And I am going to the station this weekend to get my tickets exchanged and get the 50 dollar difference back! How cool is that!

Incidentally, the roomette prices on the train did NOT go down, so I dont think they added another car. How did this happen?

Yeah for cheating the system!

Kim <><

What I *THINK* happens is that one Viewliner Bedroom which is specifically reserved for use by the disabled is released for general sale about 2 weeks or so before a train operates in the event that a disabled rider does not reserve it. Typically, this room is more attractively priced.

I remember looking at the Cardinal a few months back and was suprised to see a Bedroom available in the mid 200's when I was used to seeing Roomettes typically priced in the 300's on this train. Suffice it to say, this was right about 2 weeks before that train was actually to run.

Congrats on the steal! This should allow you a nice comparison between roomettes and bedrooms on the train!

Ive seen the same thing on the Coast Starlight a few times over the years. Bedrooms or Family Bedrooms cheaper then the roomette. I would imagine a high demand for roomettes and a lower demand for bedrooms.

When coach is almost sold out and only higher coach fares are available thats when sleeping accomadations can really make sense. Ive seen on a few occasions a roomette cheaper then a coach seat pricing out PDX-CHI. Remember when you get a sleeper your base fare (rail) automatically defaults to the lowest base (rail) fare offered.

I tell everyone whos new to rail travel play around with the dates of travel to get the best deals. Too bad its so confusing, but it is what it is.

I went to the Cincy station last night to exchange my ticket for the upgraded one, and it was a really neat experience! The station is in a museum (though the station is only open from 11pm-6am) and it was cool to walk through the museum to get to the station. The ticket agent was really cool, and even gave me a new time table. When I told him that this would be my first ride (june8), he offered to let hubby and I on the platform when the train came in, too bad it was coming in a 1am and we had a 1 hour drive home!

I'm really stoked now!

I'vebeen checking back on various times but no luck for me. I was trying to get a bedroom that I could afford on the CZ. I already have a roomette in May. One could hope. Maybe I'll wait until It is closer to my time of departure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back