I need some advice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viewliner

Engineer
I'm going to be building a Walthers Amtrak Station (Yes, I found one). I'm not sure which Station to do, so I narrowed it down to 2 possibilities:

1) West Palm Beach, FL (Yes I know it really doesn't look like it, but take the Silver Meteor there Yearly)

2) Jacksonville, FL

Which one do you guys think I should do?

Jacksonville, since it resembles it more, plus the station platforms Walthers has matches that station. You could also do Richmond. I have that station too, I left it universal though by putting no city name on it, but with the "Three Sheets to the Wind" logo (which I printed on heavy stock paper) scattered about the exterior walls. Looks pretty good.

Thanks Amfleet, but as I said it doesn't matter that it doesn't resemble WPB.

I'd also like to hear imput from the rest of you guys. :)

Amfleet, do you have a digital camera you can take a picture of it with?

Steve4031 said:
Well, if you want realism, name it after whatever station it most resembles. Otherwise, name it after your favorite station. AFter all, it is YOUR railroad.
Thanks for the advice Steve, thats a very good point.

I still would like to hear from everyone before I make a decision, besides I have 2 weeks before I start building.

Since you asked, I agree with Steve it's your railroad do whatever you'd like with it.

Here are seven photos of my modeled Amtrak station. Enjoy!

station1.JPG

station2.JPG

station3.JPG

station4.JPG

station5.JPG

station6.JPG

station7.JPG

Amfleet said:
Here are seven photos of my modeled Amtrak station. Enjoy!
station1.JPG

station2.JPG

station3.JPG

station4.JPG

station5.JPG

station6.JPG

station7.JPG
Here are the links, since the pictures don't work:

http://www.geocities.com/amfleet2002/station1.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/amfleet2002/station2.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/amfleet2002/station3.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/amfleet2002/station4.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/amfleet2002/station5.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/amfleet2002/station6.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/amfleet2002/station7.JPG

It's very nice, but I'm thinking of having a brown roof like on the box, and the good old "Pointless Arrow". As I said it will be either Jacksonville or West Palm Beach, but I'm waiting to hear from everybody (including Alan. :rolleyes: ) And I'd like to know which one you guys prefer.

How big's your layout?

B)Build it for Jacksonville. More Amtrak passanger trains go thur. Superliners and Single level equipment. Communter trains are lacking but there never fun to operator. Just Thinking. :rolleyes:

Thanks from the input. Although Jacksonville does have that, WPB did have Superliners till 1996 (approx).

Still open to suggestions.

Viewliner, my computer shows the photos just fine! I remember you having a probelm when viewing the pictures on AOL. Thanks for the links anyways incase others have trouble viewing them.

My layout is 4'x8' with a 5'x2' holding yard and matainance facility attched off to the left. The mainline is double track, with an locomotive facility inside the oval, along with the station, bank, two gas stations, a BK, and of course a HoJo. I used a grass product from Germany for the grass, gray framing board for roads and parking lots, and Snap Track from Atlas. Now that most of the basics are down, I will begin to add details. B)

Oh, and the trains sitting in the station is a Lake Shore Limited in progress (just need 2 more coaches and a sleeper for the BOS section) and almost complete Acela Express (need one more B. Class car). B)

What's your fleet (consist)?

I have yet to get a table, and all I have are:

-Amtrak AEM-7 901

-Heritage Sleeper Phase IV

-Viewliner Sleeper

-Heritage Diner Phase IV

-Amfleet II Lounge Phase IV

-Amfleet II Coach Phase IV

-Amfleet I Coach Phase III

-Metroliner Lounge 43306 Phase III

-Northeast Direct Coach Phase IV

-Amfleet I Cafe Phase IV

-Superliner II Trans Sleeper

-Superliner II (Auto Train Deluxe) Sleeper

-Superliner I Auto Train Lounge Phase IV

-Superliner I Coach Baggage Phase IV

-Auto Train Auto Rack Phase III

Here's my own Amtrak world :rolleyes:

Locomtives

P-40 806 Phase IV

P-40 832 Phase IV

P-42 52 Phase IV

P-42 107 Phase IV "Northeast Corridor" - Out Of Service due to paint thinner spill

AEM-7 907 "Acela Regional"

AEM-7 914 "Acela Regional"

AEM-7 921 Phase IV

Acela Express Power Car 2006

Acela Express Power Car 2007

MBTA F-40PH 1004

SW-1 Silver/Black Scheme

Passenger Cars

Amfleet I Coach 44649 Phase IV "Northeast Direct"

Amfleet I Custom Class 42185 Phase IV "Northeast Direct"

Amfleet I Dinette 20231 Phase IV "Northeast Direct"

Amfleet II 25037 Coach Phase IV

Amfleet II 25065 Coach Phase IV

Amfleet II 25093 Coach Phase IV

Amfleet II 25113 Coach Phase IV

Amfleet II 28019 Lounge Phase IV "Charlotte Club"

Viewliner Sleeping Car 62028 Phase IV "Palisades View" - Possible Scrap from falling 5 feet off my layout to the floor

Viewliner Sleeping Car 62029 Phase IV "Palm View"

Viewliner Sleeping Car 62037 Phase IV "Southern View"

Viewliner Sleeping Car 62042 Phase IV "Sunrise View" - Possible Scrap from falling 5 feet off my layout to the floor

Heritage Sleeper 2440 Phase IV "Pacific Beach"

Heritage Diner 8512 Phase IV

Heritage Baggage 1228 Phase IV

Heritage Baggage 1721 Phase IV (converted coach)

Heritage Full Dome 9350 Phase III

Superliner I Coach 34012 Phase IV

Superliner I Coach Baggage 31037 Phase IV

Superliner I Coach Smoking 31532 Phase IV

Superliner I Sleeping Car 32054 Phase IV

Superliner I Auto Train Lounge 33104 Phase IV

Superliner II 34124 Coach Phase IV

Superliner II 34118 Coach Phase IV

Superliner II Sightseer Lounge 33027 Phase IV

Superliner II Dining Car 38041 Phase IV

Superliner II Sleeping Car 32078 Phase IV "Florida"

Superliner II Sleeping Car 32503 Phase IV "A. Philip Randolph"

Superliner II Transition Sleeper 39017 Phase IV

Acela Express End Business Class 3409

Acela Express Business Class 3510

Acela Express Business Class 3510

Acela Express First Class 3208

Acela Express Café 3312

MBTA Horizon Coach 396

MBTA Horizon Coach 367

MBTA Horizon Coach 322

MBTA Horizon Coach 351

MBTA Horizon Cab Car 1653

MHC 1507 Phase IV

MHC 1524 Phase IV

Wow, Impressive.

I hope I'll be able to have such a fleet soon, I'm supposed to get a set with a Phase V P-42, a Superliner II Coach, Superliner II Sightseer Lounge, and a Superliner II Diner, but not for a few months.

I'm going to the Big Railroad Hobby Show in Springfeild in February where I may trade and purchse some new items. I'm in search for a P-42 Phase V, 10-6 Dorm Lounge Phase IV, Amfleet II Coach Phase IV, and an Acela Express B. Class car. I will probably end up with 2 of the above. My collection started back in 1997 and I took most of last year off from the hobby and now I've just begun to slowly add on again.

If you don't get your P-42 in Phase V, you could try ebay, or if your willing to you can buy the set I talked about in the last post. It does have Atlas snap track which could allow you to further expand. I'd like to see more pictures of your layout. If you'd like to know where to find that set, let me know and I'll PM it to you.

Frankly, I don't need the whole set since I have enough Superliners as it is, plus, I've already completed laying the track. I'm positive I'll find one at the show, thanks for the tip though. I'll post some pictures for all you guys to view. If your layout is up Viewliner, I would like to see a couple of shots. B)

You kidding, I have more cars than track. I only have a small oval of life-like power-lock which is only until I can get a table for my HO Scales (I have an 0-27 Table). When is that hobby show?

I'm unhappy, because I didn't take such good care of my AEM-7, which I may look for on ebay in the future to replace it. My Viewliner, isn't too good either, its diaphragms are broken. Do you kitbash?

I'll get some shots once I get a layout. I did get some nice Amtrak Posters Recently.

Umm, well after the paint spillage on my parents wood floor, spilling paint thinner on a P-42, wrecking $50 worth of other equipment, cutting my hand, and gluing my fingers together I've decided kitbashing isn't for me. However, I do detail byt putting on grab irons and decals and I also make nescessary repairs. I'll have those photos up in about 20 minutes.

Here we go. I'll describe each one from left to right going down.

1. Locomotive matainence facility with 2 AEM-7's, P-42, and a SW-1 switcher.

2. Burger King

3. Exxon Gas Station

4. Howard Johnson (aka HoJo) Resteurant

5. Citi Bank

6. Shell Gas Station

7. View of city center

8. View of outskirts with station and locomtive facilty

9. Matainence facility in side holding yard, MBTA F-40 in fore ground

10. Left end of holding yard leading into the mainline

11. Holding yard

12. Lake Shore Limited in station

layout.JPG

Forgot to mention the hobby show is February 1&2 in Springfield, MA at the Big "E". More info can be found here.

Very nice for a small layout. Wish I had the time, patience, money and space to do something like that. I do hope Santa brings me some of the model trains I asked for this year. :)

Viewliner,

Since you asked for my opinion, I’ll tell you that while I did at one time have a rather extensive HO layout (it’s now collecting dust), I have no idea what a Walthers Amtrak station is. I’ve never heard of one, and if I’ve ever seen one then I had no clue that I was looking at one.

That said, I’d probably vote for West Palm, as I seem to think that station looked nicer than JAX, at least in my minds eye that hasn’t seen either station in about 2 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back