Ideas about increasing Amtrak ridership

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not so much the one about the overnight on the NEC.
For the most part, these videos are fair and balanced and capture the essence of a LD train trip including both the good and the not so good things that can occur. In many ways, these are more honest and believable than something produced by an obvious Amtrak shill. The videos that Jeb Brooks produced later in the series do to convey more enthusiasm for traveling long distance on a train. Watching them makes me want to take a LD Amtrak trip so perhaps they might for others, too.

Thanks for the links to the Jeb Brooks travelogues. I enjoyed the Empire Builder video. I nearly gagged when looking at those "flex" microwave meals. I wish they could have shown the dramatic change in terrain going from Browning to East Glacier. It seems like you go from high plains to mountains in just an instant. You can get a rough idea at the 19:52 point. Jeb Brooks does a good job. I would like to see him do the Coast Starlight from LA to Seattle.

I quite agree The best way to promote Amtrak is for Amtrak to clean up many of the problems it has. Problems relating to the on-board experience. Rude attendants and incompetent Amtrak staff, booking difficulties, unclean restrooms , poor food quality, and unacceptable on-time performance These things don't exactly promote interest and enthusiasm for potential Amtrak riders. I am getting to the point where I don't like to suggest an Amtrak trip to friends, as so many people have a negative experience after taking an Amtrak train.

I think Amtrak could be promoted with video route guides, not just on YouTube, but though other media outlets such as PBS. Let PBS have a series on Amtrak, showing many of their interesting train routes. Show various Amtrak train stops around the country, displaying fun things to see and places to go in each stop along the way. Have the videos, for a number of the routes, presented on the Amtrak website.
An interesting travelogue which does show ( although briefly) all of the stops along the way of the Empire Builder I would like to see similar presentations for many other Amtrak routes.

https://is.gd/c79q4R

H

Back