If Amtrak Had Better Advertisements Like In The 80's

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get WNBC New York and KNBC Los Angeles via DirecTV and greatly enjoy the Acela and Amtrak California ads. Here in the Sooner Nation from time to time there are radio ads for the Heartland Flyer but interestingly they never mention Amtrak! It must have something to do with the state sponsorships.
Do they at least mention that Flyer passengers can connect to trains heading to Chicago via Fort Worth or to Los Angeles via San Antonio? Or do the ads simply act as if the national network doesn't exist? If so that seems like a wasted opportunity to sell more seats on the Flyer to folks who want to travel further than FTW. For me the Flyer remains unappealing due to the extended connection in FTW and the late arrival into OKC. If the Flyer were setup so that I could catch an entire OKC game with time to spare it would be more attractive to me.
Yes they do mention national connections are available at FTW, but again without mentioning the Amtrak name. There must be some legal or contractual reason they cannot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Additionally, "if the trains are 'full', why advertise........"?

I get the branding part, and think a series of 15 second ads would be wise, but the ads for LD trains, other than scenery, what are you gonna advertise? Meals? Service? Amenities?

In my neck of the woods, most people don't even know that passenger trains still exist. (Friends are amazed to learn I've taken trips on a train.)

Of course, in my neck of the woods, very few do! :(

In my neck of the woods, most people don't even know that passenger trains still exist. (Friends are amazed to learn I've taken trips on a train.)

Of course, in my neck of the woods, very few do! :(
Its not any better in California. People are amazed when I tell them that I take the train regularly. One issue and question that keeps creeping up in regards to the Coast Starlight is people have a vague knowledge of it, they have heard of it before, but just can't get the kind of information they need to actually go.

Since I cut the cable cord four years ago, any cable TV advertising would be useless for reaching me. I do subscribe to MLB.TV and think that would be a good place for some Amtrak ads, particularly since I took a day train trip to DC last month for a Phillies-Nats game. There must be other fans who can do likewise, and they should be reminded this is possible.

Heck, bring back the Nomar & A-Rod ad. :giggle:

Heh. I still have an original "NEXT TIME, TAKE THE TRAIN" bumper sticker from 1971. Pointless arrow and everything. :D

I'm with the others - media for niche products have moved way beyond TV. They really should be talking to Google, Facebook, et al, about ad placements on rail- and travel-interest sites.

The CSX, NS, BNSF and UP ads are for generating public goodwill, not business directly. You will see them ramp-up if there's regulation in the works that might effect them. You may have noticed more rail company ads when the truckers were trying to get NHTSA to allow super-large (60') trailers, and long doubles outside of the restricted Western corridors.

Since I cut the cable cord four years ago, any cable TV advertising would be useless for reaching me. I do subscribe to MLB.TV and think that would be a good place for some Amtrak ads, particularly since I took a day train trip to DC last month for a Phillies-Nats game. There must be other fans who can do likewise, and they should be reminded this is possible.
BNSF sponsors home runs on Seattle Mariners broadcasts -- the network puts up a "BNSF Blast" graphic and plays the sound of a train whistle.

WLkwlFf.png

Maybe Amtrak should sponsor the replay challenges. "When you're waiting while a group of people stand around, think of Amtrak."

The Cubs show the Amtrak logo behind home plate.

I can't find an image online, but I think trainman74 has one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back