If I miss my train, will Amtrak let me on the next train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToniCounter

Service Attendant
If I miss my train, will Amtrak let me on the next train? I assume I'll have to pay the fare difference?

Thanks1

If I miss my train, will Amtrak let me on the next train? I assume I'll have to pay the fare difference?

Thanks1

It depends on the availability. If the next train is sold out, it is likely you not be able to board the next train.

You can get on the next train if you pay the fare difference and there is room available unless it is unreserved in which case you can use your current ticket and get on any train on that route.

Thanks1
If it is unreserved, yes. If it's reserved, but has multiple departures, probably yes, if not the train after next. If it is a long distance, or a once-a-day corridor train, it's kind of a gamble, so you may have to wait a day or more.

They may or may not accommodate on the next train. Theoretically a "reserved" ticket is void if you miss the train and it doesn't get scanned in time, but you can call Amtrak and try to get your trip modified before your entire trip is cancelled.

Just as an example, I've missed my stop before, and I was allowed to continue to the next stop without any penalty. Once I completely missed my stop, and the conductor wrote me a note for another conductor to let me back to my destination station. If it's an honest mistake, I've seen cases where they did try to help as best they could.

how would you miss your train? If your train is late, and you planned plenty of connection time, Amtrak will out you on the next train it can get you on, but if it is not Amtrak's fault, then "oh well, get on the next train or bus."

When you say miss your train, are you referring to a blown connection or an untoward incident that gets you to a station late? As to connections, there are "guaranteed connections" where Amtrak will assist in various ways, or not guaranteed where other factors come into play. Reserved vs unreserved, availability on the next train of coach/accommodations/BC, all factors. If you know you are going to be late, pick up the phone before your train leaves, your reservation can be cancelled as a no show, then the fun would really begin. (especially if boarding at an unstaffed station)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back