If They Could Redesign The Superliners

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there's an issue of liability, but I really wish we could crack a window, especially when it gets too warm. Sometimes, those fresh air stops are few and far between, and it would be nice to breathe fresh air.

They could design the windows with a stop, similar to hotel windows on high floors, that would prevent you from opening it more than an inch or two.
In Europe a fairly good chunk of the trains have opening windows. And they go down to chest height. It's great for photography. That's usually where I am if the train has an open window car. And I have CSX safety glasses for my eyes. So it is doable. But those trains lack AC I think

I know there's an issue of liability, but I really wish we could crack a window, especially when it gets too warm. Sometimes, those fresh air stops are few and far between, and it would be nice to breathe fresh air.

They could design the windows with a stop, similar to hotel windows on high floors, that would prevent you from opening it more than an inch or two.
In Europe a fairly good chunk of the trains have opening windows. And they go down to chest height. It's great for photography. That's usually where I am if the train has an open window car. And I have CSX safety glasses for my eyes. So it is doable. But those trains lack AC I think
Not sure how well that will work on the Hi Line in January and it does not close all the way because its broken.

I agree, the stairs is the big thing. Taking my grandmother on this about a month ago, and she struggled getting up there.. If I wasn't with her, been no way she would of made it up.

I think it'd be cool to build a Superliner lounge/observation car for the rear of the train with a great view out the back. When the day comes we have to retire the PPCs, I think that's what the replacement should be.

I think it'd be cool to build a Superliner lounge/observation car for the rear of the train with a great view out the back. When the day comes we have to retire the PPCs, I think that's what the replacement should be.
It would indeed be 'cool', but the inflexibility of having a 'rear end only' car, has long been eliminated from the Amtrak roster, other than the special business and charter cars. Unless, they could build a 'compromise' type observation car that would still have an end door, with tall windows on the door, and the panels on either side of it, like the similar 'flat end' observation cars used to have. To make it more 'flexible', it would have both ends the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
It would indeed be 'cool', but the inflexibility of having a 'rear end only' car, has long been eliminated from the Amtrak roster, other than the special business and charter cars. Unless, they could build a 'compromise' type observation car that would still have an end door, with tall windows on the door, and the panels on either side of it, like the similar 'flat end' observation cars used to have. To make it more 'flexible', it would have both ends the same.
Or, they could remodel a transdorm into a coach configuration and use any of the many classic rounded-end observation cars out there dying for some attention and love. I'm sure they'd be able to get several from the island of misfit traincars.

- Double hinge the restroom doors (airplane style) so they don't have to open into the corridor. Change the dinky yellow lights outside the restrooms to lighted signs that actually say "in use" or display a pictogram.

- Change the incandescent lighting to LEDs. This has been done on the Auto Train. It looks nicer, runs cooler, and they saved enough electricity to extend the consist by a car.

- If there's some room under the stairs, add more luggage storage. When the wheelchair ramp storage was added it took away a large amount of luggage storage space.

- Find a place besides the luggage rack to store towels and supplies for the shower.

- There's got to be a way to distribute announcements & informational signage digitally (Ethernet?) so the quality is equal in all the cars.

- Build a transition sleeper. This would be just like the existing sleepers, but with a stair down to single level on the bedroom end. This could be used in place of the transition sleeper; the crew could be housed on the lower level, though they would have to share restrooms and the shower with passengers.

- Build a transition sleeper. This would be just like the existing sleepers, but with a stair down to single level on the bedroom end. This could be used in place of the transition sleeper; the crew could be housed on the lower level, though they would have to share restrooms and the shower with passengers.
There are already Transition Sleepers...

peter

1. Go full height like autoracks giving many cars ability to go between on both levels. (someone will flame this immediately)

2. Eliminate Roomettes. Offer one car with an attendant and lie flat style airline business seating in a 1/2 config with convection oven meals. Heck, an airline can serve Butternut Squash Ravioli at 35,000 feet with salad, roll and sorbet. So can Amtrak.

3. Build the cars for dining, sightseeing, sleepers and then contract out the service to a private company to provide. Leave Amtrak to doing basic transportation with both coach and business class and let someone else do the higher end stuff.

4. Sleepers would be at minimal similar to the new Prestige Class on VIA. Sleepers stay sold out at high prices as it is. With two complete levels, some nifty designs could be done.

5. Consider electronic window dimming ala the 787. Always have the shade as an option, but windows in the sleeper akin to the current windows in the Sightseer would be sweet!

6. As someone else said, updated electronics onboard for route info, etc. Also, as someone else said, the rear sleeper sightseer lounge with the big glass theater style viewing section ...what a wowzer that would be..and a big selling point.

7. Name the Cars...they deserve to be more than just a number.

8. Fresh Vending machines in the Lounge car providing cold sandwiches, etc. Franchise owners along a route can restock at specific station stops as needed (i.e. freshvending dot com) etc. In other words, remove food costs from the train but wind up providing a higher end service. Frees up lounge attendant to actually attend the lounge.

9. And for goodness sake, don't worry about what country is doing the building of the cars.

10. A "front of train view" on the in room or PED system...watch the view from the front of the train like you can from an Airbus 380 on certain carriers. A wifi based PED system (personal entertainment system) could contain route guides, things to watch for, advertise specials, book your next trip on board, etc. Even have ON Demand movies for people to watch.

1. Go full height like autoracks giving many cars ability to go between on both levels. (someone will flame this immediately)

2. Eliminate Roomettes. Offer one car with an attendant and lie flat style airline business seating in a 1/2 config with convection oven meals. Heck, an airline can serve Butternut Squash Ravioli at 35,000 feet with salad, roll and sorbet. So can Amtrak.

3. Build the cars for dining, sightseeing, sleepers and then contract out the service to a private company to provide. Leave Amtrak to doing basic transportation with both coach and business class and let someone else do the higher end stuff.

4. Sleepers would be at minimal similar to the new Prestige Class on VIA. Sleepers stay sold out at high prices as it is. With two complete levels, some nifty designs could be done.

5. Consider electronic window dimming ala the 787. Always have the shade as an option, but windows in the sleeper akin to the current windows in the Sightseer would be sweet!

6. As someone else said, updated electronics onboard for route info, etc. Also, as someone else said, the rear sleeper sightseer lounge with the big glass theater style viewing section ...what a wowzer that would be..and a big selling point.

7. Name the Cars...they deserve to be more than just a number.

8. Fresh Vending machines in the Lounge car providing cold sandwiches, etc. Franchise owners along a route can restock at specific station stops as needed (i.e. freshvending dot com) etc. In other words, remove food costs from the train but wind up providing a higher end service. Frees up lounge attendant to actually attend the lounge.

9. And for goodness sake, don't worry about what country is doing the building of the cars.

10. A "front of train view" on the in room or PED system...watch the view from the front of the train like you can from an Airbus 380 on certain carriers. A wifi based PED system (personal entertainment system) could contain route guides, things to watch for, advertise specials, book your next trip on board, etc. Even have ON Demand movies for people to watch.
You have some interesting ideas....

1....I suppose you mean like the cruise line cars on the Alaska RR....there may be some more restrictive limitations on Amtrak's routes, precluding their use, but yeah....I like this idea.

2. I wouldn't want to see Amtrak try to convert a Superliner into an 'airliner-on-rails'. For First Class travel, rail passengers would prefer the privacy of a private room, for one. Secondly, having lie-flat seats would not really increase capacity over roomettes, as you would give up the ability of having upper and lower bunks on each level of the car. And on long trips, people like the change of scene of strolling to a restaurant car, rather than being buckled in and served meals at seats.

3. Could possibly work, but Amtrak has not done that well in its history, sharing its consists with private operators....eg: AutoTrain Corp., American European Express, , Pullman Rail Journey's, etc.....

4, Maybe upgrade to that level, once the basic level of sleeper service is sufficient to fulfill the demand...Otherwise you would be excluding sleepers as transportation for many, and limiting it to wealthy 'cruise train' patron's.

5 I like that idea. Don't know how costly or reliable it would be on large windows, but the necessity of having curtains as a backup, in case of electrical failure, would take away any cost saving of eliminating the cleaning or maintaining of the curtains.

6 Nice, but see my earlier post regarding a rear end obs. car. I do like the electronic display idea.

7 Agreed.

8 Shades of the "Friendly Southern Pacific" Automat Cars. Actually, this idea may have some merit....don't know about the logistics of resupply enroute, what with LD trains often running way, way, off schedule....

9 Worrying about 'buying American' is a political reality for 'America's Railroad'.

10 Like this. Only concern, is Amtrak's 'track record' of maintaining such system's....

I like positive suggestions like these...why would anyone 'flame you' for offering them? That is what the purpose of AU is, isn't it? To discuss all things Amtrak?

PerRock/Peter,

The existing transition sleepers have 17 rooms for the crew. Some of these are reconfigured to have eight roomettes for passengers and nine for the crew. My thought is to have essentially a "normal" sleeper, but with transition stairs at the bedroom end. The crew would get the downstairs roomettes at the "family bedroom" end (five rooms) and have to share the restrooms and shower with the passengers. This would certainly be a sacrifice for the crew relative to the present situation, but would significantly increase revenue space.

- Bike racks on the lower level, like the California cars.

- Status update screens in the cars, with real time info about what's going on.

- Someplace other than the cafe car for staff to camp out.

None of those would require much, if any, redesigning. It's mostly just better management of existing people, resources and expectations.

I like the idea about automatic doors; you'd need automatic steps or better matching of train and platform heights. That's not rocket science, though, should be doable too.
I've seen steps pop out on Metrolink trains when needed and also on KTX / TGV derived trains. Also, regarding the crew hanging out, my observation from my last trip was that WAY too many revenue space were blocked for them. Does a coach car attendant really 4 seats blocked for themselves? Also 6 booths were blocked off in the dining car, with 2 used for storage and the rest used for crew to hangout on while passengers who wanted to eat in the dining car had to wait for a table. I think with automatic doors, you can eliminate most of the camping out problem. No offense to coach attendants but with automatic doors, you really don't need one for each car.
I get the impression that dining car booths are often out of commission because they can't serve that many people seated at one time, at least in their opinion. But the whole camping out phenomenon, including the operating crew acting like it's running a corporation in the cafe booths is too much and makes one wonder just who the train is being run for. I am curious as to why automatic door would reduce coach attendants and camping out, however.

Would be nice, but would make temp control even more of a challenge, and could lead to disputes.

Also, some silly improvements (because me):

-fire pole from upper level to lower.

-three words: hot tub car.

-rooftop bar on top of said car. (Those who've had too much will be taken out by the next tunnel)

-de-stressing puppies are released into the aisles every time a delay is announced.

-can the locomotive have a special smokestack that emits bubbles.

a real bar car would be fun WITH the hottub and fire poles.
And of course, a pool table!

Somehow improve the upper berth. At the least, put in a small window up there.
Yup, and make it so your your face isn't 3 inches from the ceiling.
And there is your challenge. The car can only be so tall, and if it has to be a bilevel, you'd either have take height out of the lower floor (with implications for bunks down there), or somehow make the bottom berth lower

The cars can actually be about 3.5' taller and still be withing Plate H/K loading gauge. Of course that would make their CG a little higher and provde a little more surface to cross winds thus making them a little more prone to topple over too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back