If you could pick your seat/dining mates, they'd be:

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garethe7

Train Attendant
Celebrities? People of prominence? Amtrak officials? The President of the United States?

Who would be your dream dinner companions?

Being a soccer guy, I'd enjoy Freddie Ljungberg, David Beckham, or any of the Sounders team at my table.

In coach, probably a comedian to keep me laughing, Robin Williams or Bill Cosby!

And if I needed a serious "talking" type trip, I think Oprah would be great for that. Or one of the other well-known journalists like Leslie Stahl or Brian Williams.

Edit: Just realized I probably should have put this in general, didn't even think about it because I spend 95% of my AU time in this group, feel free to move it there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gare, this is a great topic IMO. I've sat with Joe Biden on an AE from WAS. That was a treat. I think anyone who is well known by the public would be a great seat mate! :) I've ridden with some big money makers on AE some are nice some are complete jerks who think they rule the world. But that happens in life. I once rode with some folks from Finland who were on their way to DC. They were the coolest people to talk too! :) I found out a lot about their culture, which is something I like to do. Learn something new everyday! :)

Gare, this is a great topic IMO. I've sat with Joe Biden on an AE from WAS. That was a treat. I think anyone who is well known by the public would be a great seat mate! :) I've ridden with some big money makers on AE some are nice some are complete jerks who think they rule the world. But that happens in life. I once rode with some folks from Finland who were on their way to DC. They were the coolest people to talk too! :) I found out a lot about their culture, which is something I like to do. Learn something new everyday! :)
I wondered if anybody had ever travelled with a celebrity and that's what led to the creation of the topic so I suppose it does have specific Amtrak relevance especially since campaigning by train was once very common back in the day and perhaps still is. Wasn't it FDR that did had his own rail car? I'm not sure Air Force One existed back then.

FDR did have his own railcar I believe someone might know more then I would. It would make sense since he had polio and was paralyzed. He would be put on the train and then off then went. Truman was a big campaigner by train. The current President campaigned in Pennsylvania on the "Main Line" to Harrisburg by train and went to DC by train. That was a very big deal in the Northeast.

My ideal dining companion is my wife Paula. As for the ideal company; any regular active forum member(s) here would be nice. As we can be quite chatty, some of the more vocal regulars would be great on the LD trips .

We have no interest sitting with self absorbed celebrities or lying corrupt politicians.

I just hope for a personable person, with whom I can have a pleasant dinner conversation. I really don't care if they are famous or not. Matter of fact, I would probably not enjoy sitting with a famous person because such would distract from (compete with) the meal.

Since I'm currently unattached, the best I can hope for is a similarly unattached attractive woman, riding coach, who would love to see what a sleeping car roomette looks like...

But since that hardly ever happens, I think I have to agree with dlagrua and the guest who posted before me.

Since I'm currently unattached, the best I can hope for is a similarly unattached attractive woman, riding coach, who would love to see what a sleeping car roomette looks like...

But since that hardly ever happens, I think I have to agree with dlagrua and the guest who posted before me.
This made me laugh. :)

I'm pretty quiet and prefer to keep myself. I hate awkward silences and trying to make small talk with strangers. So, if it isn't another AU member, I'd prefer no one.

Or, the Golden Girls. That would be a fun train ride. :)

Hmmm. Lots of options:

Narcissists - "prefer to sit by myself."

Obsessives - "prefer to sit with very orderly engineers."

Railfans - "prefer to sit with railfans."

Oh, the options seem endless. LOL

For My Train Companions(First Group) I'd take Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Bill Maher and My Late Wife Barbara!

Second Group: Leonardo Da Vinci, Edgar Cayce, Steven Jobs and Mrs. Robinson (Anne Bancroft) from "The Graduate!"

As John Kennedy Once said @ the White House when Hosting an Evening in Honor of Nobel Prize Winners:

"There hasn't been this much Intellect in the White House since Thomas Jefferson Dined Alone!"

Sitting with Bill Maher would be amazing. Adding Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert would make it a great mix.

Sitting with Bill Maher would be amazing. Adding Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert would make it a great mix.
They woulda' been next Sarah but I didnt want to Hog too many Tables and Swivel Chairs in the PPC!! (The Coast Starlight would be my Amtrak Train of Choice for this Trip of a Lifetime!)

Bill Clinton as a seatmate? I voted twice for the guy, but let's face it, nobody else can get a word in edgewise when he's around.

I enjoy sitting at a diner table with Brits, Danes, Swedes and Norwegians. They're always well educated, well informed, and in general interesting. Best diner mate I ever had was a retired London detective superintendent who loved to read mysteries and police procedurals. I write those things, and listening to him tell how to avoid inaccuracies was like taking a college course in the subject. Another one was a VIA locomotive engineer on the Canadian, returning from a vacation in Halifax. He was full of interesting stories about shepherding trains over the Rockies. Just before we got to Jasper during lunchtime he excused himself and said his vacation was over and he had to go forward to drive the train.

For the dining car, I like a good story teller, even if the stories aren't true! :giggle:

For the coach car, someone who is polite about their cords and doesn't talk much ... nothing worse than wanting to listen to your music and nap and the person next to you wants to tell you their life story. This seems to be a bigger hazard on airplanes though as I can recall many many Northeast Corridor seatmates who didn't bother me hardly at all.

It's different on LD coach but on a trip that long ya gotta make friends with your end of the car or you'll go nuts. :help:

miley-cyrus-and-her-tongue.jpg

wikileaks-edward-snowden-has-requested-asylum-in-6-more-countries-but-were-not-saying-which-ones.jpg

Aloha

I have had lunches and dinners with various celebrities, I would very much prefer meals with the AU Family!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back