I'm back

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

battalion51

Engineer
I have returned from Baltimore with many tales, a good amount of video, and a whole bunch of pictures (somewhere in the neighborhood of 225). I will post my Travelogue both here and on OTOL as soon as I finish it up, so far I have completed through Wednesday. I hope to have many of the pictures up on my website within the next week or so in a special section of the website, the page will gradually expand once launched so check back often for updates. I had the peasure of meeting several respected railfans in Baltimore, among them Dave Warner (Webmaster of OTOL), Charlie Dunn (Regional Vice President of NARP), and Bill Hakkarinen (a respected photographer in the Northeast). So I look forward to post-convention activities as much as I did the convention itself. (To put the question to rest, yes I did have a good time.)

I most likely will take care of the Amtrak stuff first as that's the most interesting stuff (motives, cars then stations), then move onto private cars, and finally steam/doodlebug pictures (just because I am not a steam fan myself).

Jon, Jon, Jon, would there be any other way to do it besides digital? I have seen all the pictures already, and the vast majority of them turned out well. I was able to bring my iBook with me so I have cropped out a few things here and there, but I still have to resize the pictures on my PC, as well as page construction, and thumbnails, I hope to have the beginnings of the page up by Sunday.

battalion51 said:
Jon, Jon, Jon, would there be any other way to do it besides digital? I have seen all the pictures already, and the vast majority of them turned out well. I was able to bring my iBook with me so I have cropped out a few things here and there, but I still have to resize the pictures on my PC, as well as page construction, and thumbnails, I hope to have the beginnings of the page up by Sunday.
On my recent Downeaster trip I took 50 photos with a standard snap and shoot camera. My film bill was $25, not only for the prints, but I got everything on a CD so I would not have to do any scanning. That said my parents bought a digital camera a few days ago for them and me to use. Can't wait for my Chicago trip on the Capitol Limited in August as the photos will be pouring in!

Make sure you get some memory for that, I would have been screwed if I had to rely on internal memory, in a period of two days I shot 109 pics, my internal memory holds a grand total of 14 pictures. Get some memory for it, even if it's a 32 or 64 MB card, it makes a big difference.

What I'm doing right now is purchasing a laptop, so when it gets full I will download them on to my computer. I think the camera holds about 30 or 40 photos, but I have to check. My main concern is being able to spend a day touring Chicago without filling up the memory by 2 in the afternoon. I will certainly look into getting more memory.

I personally find its easier to download as you go. I really could have gone the entire week without downloading, but I like the flexibility of being able to take pictures until I'm blue in the face.

I've had a digital for over a year now. Take it from me, get an extra memory card. If you want good resolution on your pictures, they take lots of memory and it fills up the cards fast. :)

And your laptop might not always be handy.

I'm with Alan on this one. Most of the time I would download at night, erase the camera and be fresh for the next days activities. Also, all of my pictures are originally four times the size that they show up on your computer screen, I scale them down because the good quality makes them huge at original size.

AlanB said:
I've had a digital for over a year now. Take it from me, get an extra memory card. If you want good resolution on your pictures, they take lots of memory and it fills up the cards fast. :)
And your laptop might not always be handy.
Does the resolution depend on the camera or the memory card? I would like to have moderately high to high resolution photos. Also what is the price range on these memory cards?

Couple other questions. When on a moving train, does one bump to the camera while taking a photo blur the picture. I know when using film you can by film that prevents this. Alan, I've also noticed that the photos you've taken are quite large, now when they are downsized the photo does not look as clear. Will all cameras make such a large photo?

Amfleet said:
Does the resolution depend on the camera or the memory card? I would like to have moderately high to high resolution photos. Also what is the price range on these memory cards?
Resolution depends upon the camera totally. I would recomend getting a camera with at least 2.1 megapixles and preferably even higher if you can. If you have higher res camera, you can always ask it to take lower res pictures to conserve memory. However you can never ask a lower res camera to go higher.

Now moving to the memory cards, the res that you set your camera at does impact how fast you use the card up. I have a 3.1 mega camera a that setting I can typically fit about 64 pictures on a 64 MB chip. If I lower the res to the next step 2.2 megas, then I can get closer to 84 shots, if I go even lower to 1.6 then I can now store 113 pictues on that same 64 MB chip.

Now there are a few different types of memory chips and you must buy the correct one for your camera. They are not interchangeable. I think that I paid around 40 bucks for that 64 MB chip, but I don't really remember now. You can get a good idea on the prices just by going to CompUSA's website or similar type of store. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back