I'm Backkkkkkkkkk!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Missed your commentary... glad to have you back!
smile.gif

welcome back Steve. There is actually a question I had for you while you were gone...

thread: http://discuss.amtra...__1#entry329236

A ban on outdoor smoking went into effect recently. One of the reasons cited was to reduce track fires. Since posting the thread, I did some digging into my town's track fire history. We have had 2 track fires since 1996 when such records started. How many cigarette related track fires have you see / know of? Most track fires I've experienced were related to embers lighting some small underbrush on fire beside the tracks...

Edit: Grammar

Last edited by a moderator:
welcome back Steve. There is actually a question I had for you while you were gone...

thread: http://discuss.amtra...__1#entry329236

A ban on outdoor smoking went into effect recently. One of the reasons cited was to reduce track fires. Since posting the thread, I did some digging into my town's track fire history. We have had 2 track fires since 1996 when such records started. How many cigarette related track fires have you see / know of? Most track fires I've experienced were related to embers lighting some small underbrush on fire beside the tracks...

Edit: Grammar
In our "local" we have two sections of track. That is the NS Trenton Cut Off and the Septa Lansdale/Doylestown Line. In the years I've been with Barren Hill I can tell you the only related train emergency is a Septa EMU that caught fire. We couldn't touch it until we had confirmation that both tracks had the caternary shut down. Now as far a Track Fire. You would need something for it to burn on (wood ties perhaps, leaves), and an ignition source. Now with Diesel units it could be anything, but with electric trains it's a little harder to figure out where an ignition source would come from. At least Septa trains.

Now we did on the 20th of November have an Emergency Rail Training Drill at the Miquon rail station. Which covered what to do how to do it. All the basics. Well planed out too.

Back