I'm off yet again

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Viewliner

Engineer
Well guys, it seems like yesterday that I started a similar topic, but I'm leaving yet again tomorrow on another round trip aboard the Silver Meteor, returning on the 26th. I'm going to be visiting my grandparents in South Florida. I hope this will just be one of many more trips to come, that the Bushes and Minetas of the world won't shut down Amtrak.

Word of advice, the T&E on your return trip from MIA-JAX isn't the friendliest bunch ever (even with me, and that's saying something).

Viewliner was on my train yesterday (02/18). He wasn't in my sleeper (I was working sleeper this trip), but he was in the #9710 sleeper. He is a nice young man, and seemed as if he was enjoying his trip. I saw him the next morning when we arrived at JAX, and I knew I had met him before but didn't realize who he was till he spoke to me. He told me that he remembered me from his previous trip. I told him that I post here in the forums as "Amtrak OBS Employee" therefore we made the connection. We were late leaving WAS due to HEP problems with the locomotive and had to switch it out for another one. I didn't have much time to speak him due to my sleeper being fully loaded, and having to concentrate on my car's passenger needs. Anyway, I recall him mentioning he was returning on train #98, but I am not for sure when. Hopefully, I will catch him on the return, and have a little more time to talk to him. I am back on the extra board now. I never know what train I am gonna get nowdays. In closing, I mentioned to him that I read the trip reports when I have time. And he quickly told me how far behind he was with his! LOL...

Anyway Viewliner, when you read this, I hope you enjoyed your trip and the same for you on the return. Maybe I'll catch you when you are going home. OBS....

Viewliner said:
I'm leaving yet again tomorrow on another round trip aboard the Silver Meteor, returning on the 26th.
Hmmm, I just noticed this!! LOL........OBS..

battalion51 said:
Word of advice, the T&E on your return trip from MIA-JAX isn't the friendliest bunch ever (even with me, and that's saying something).
Just got back a little over an hour ago, 98 was practically on time, maybe 5 mins late at the most into NWK. Overall it was a very nice trip, the crews were pretty good both ways (one notable exception). The one exception was an overzealous and misinformed Coach Conductor and Attendant on 97, they said I couldn't take pictures, and the coach attendant said if he wanted to he could take my camera...after that I was given a sort of lecture by the coach conductor. After that talked with the Lead Conductor, saying that pictures were indeed allowed and that he'd talk with those two. (I called Amtrak later and the agent on the phone found no such policy, said they were allowed)

Anyway, I managed as usual to get copies of the manifests so I could keep records of the consists. I didn't really talk much with T&E anyway...never really do. Alot of similarities with both trips...one of the same conductors from JAX-MIA, same dorm, same lounge (28016...still in Phase III Paint, badly in need of a new paint job), same diner, same sleepers (2 from 97, additional one on 98). In fact I was in the same room in the same exact car... Room A in car 62034 "Sea View"

More details coming soon...eventually. I've still got 1 and 2/3 trip reports left, I've got plenty of time though, next trip is in December.

Glad you are back. I failed to track your departure from Florida but did note you were almost on time in Newark. Looks like you are just ahead of some more bad weather. Will be anxious to read trip reports.

Back