Impact of a Russian cyberattack on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? We had a few computer down times that lasted several hours to 2 days (I think) in the last year I worked in a clinical lab (2012), but there was definitely a plan that we would use in those circumstances. It was a big pain, though.
You have better management then I do.
We have zero people with clinical training or clinical experience in our upper management. We often run into problems because the MBA types have no idea what the clinicians are doing during day to day/person to person as health care is delivered.

Last edited:
I'm sure that today no one even knows what a manual fall-back is, much less how to use one.
Every plant I support has a manual fallback. So long as the loading and measuring equipment remains powered the trucks still role.

When’s the last time you saw a filing cabinet in a shipping office?
Last Friday. It holds tickets for hand entry that are replaced with electronic versions (short outage) or scanned and FedEx'd to the HO (long outage).

Fear mongering seems to be a worldwide pastime these days, what about the impact of an alien invasion from outer space on Amtrak? Discuss...
Plot Twist: Amtrak was built and managed by aliens!

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/an-alien-origin-for-life-on-earth

Are there not dark territory lines in other countries? Genuinely curious.
I don't know the current situation but in the UK at least there were many rural branch lines dispatched using tokens with manual signal boxes at the crossing places. I suspect many of them have been automated due to the labor cost of having manned signal boxes at these locations.

The Amtrak train booking online has been down this afternoon. Cyber attack?
Seeing the same thing on this end.

1648591919499.png

DihSRkdVsAApBzd.jpg

I'm able to at least "find trains" for my test booking. On both the website and the app. (just now)

Probably Arrow being Arrow rather than a cyber attack. Honestly if Russia were to launch a cyberattack, they'd go after the airlines way before Amtrak.

Knowing our technology they would struggle with it. Our boarding computer software is more 1980s than Arrow and that's hard.

Well, it would still effect a LOT more people than if they were to go after Amtrak.
It would definitely effect me. Hopefully when they do it is on one of my better overnights so I can at least enjoy it. Amtrak could have a big impact if they shut the Hudson tubes down.

MODERATOR'S NOTES: A number of posts about the wonders of Solar Flares have been moved to their own little thread in The Lounge. You can see it at:

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/all-about-solar-flares.81648/
Please focus the posts in this thread on Russian Cyberattack effects on Amtrak in particular, and on railroads in general.

Thank you for your understanding, cooperation and participation.

Back