Impressive #58 today

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NativeSon5859

Conductor
Hey guys,

I caught 58 passing through Kenner this afternoon, and she was really showing her stuff today....1 P42, 1 P32, baggage car, private all-black car, 9 or 10 Superliner cars, and 2 freight cars at the end....without question an extended consist for Mardi Gras. And yes...I got some good pics....hopefully they'll come out ok.

Is that yearly Mardi Gras party train still scheduled for this year?

Thanks!

Steve/NOL

Thanks for sharing this observation, native son 5859. Brings back memories...through the years one of the best times to watch trains has always been around holiday season, whether Xmas, Mardi Gras,etc or perhaps major sports events or political events when the trains might have all sorts of extra cars.

This would be particularly striking when most railroads (pre-Amtrak) co -operated with the pullman company so you could find strange sleeping cars from other railroads from all over the country on your train, due to the increased volume.(or perhaps working as substitute cars).

Maybe you will get to see the train again sometime between now and Ash Wednesday and you can see if it is still long.

Steve, when you say a P-32 do you mean a DASH 8 (Coast Guard Cutter) or a Genesis AC-DM (from the NEC)?

Must've been. An AC-DM would probably just blend in unless you noticed the NEC paint (unless it's one of the couple that have been rebuilt).

I caught 59 today as I was walking to my car out at the airport. She was running a little late, probably about 35 minutes or so. It was a typical consist: 1 loco, 1 baggage car, 7 Superliners.

God I can't wait to get back on Amtrak!

Back in the mid-late 90s, Amtrak used to run all sleeper special Marti Gras trains from CHI to NOL. Those days are long over it seems.

While Amtrak may not run a sperate train, the crew might get into the spirit of Marti Gras and decorate the lounge or something. Just to make the experience a bit more fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back