Independance day Travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A plea for advice from UK. My wife and I would like to take the Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville. We arrive into Chicago from Minneapolis on the 3rd July and had intended to take the Zephyr out on the 4th. We are now considering celebrating Independance Day in Chicago and travelling on the 5th. Do trains run on the 4th? Is Independance Day like Christmas in UK - a public Holiday where all shops bars retuarants are shut and everybody has gone home -? Is Chicago a good place to spend Independance day or is it a better plan to be on a train. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Jim

All Amtrak trains will operate as regularly scheduled on July 4th. You can find specific times and availability at amtrak.com by using the fast fare reservations finder. Independence Day is not quite like Christmas. Retail shopping, restaurants and the like will all be open. The only establishments that are usually closed for Independence Day in the U.S. are government ones such as the post office, schools, courts, etc. Chicago would make an excellent place to spend the 4th of July (name more commonly used for the holiday here instead of Independence Day) and I'm sure you could find a nice place in the city to view a fireworks display. I hope this information helps.

Regardless of whether you choose to ride Amtrak on the 4th or wait to the 5th, don't wait long to decide. This is Amtrak's busy time, and that train oftten sells out, especially if you want a sleeper.

So book soon! :)

I have taken the Zephyr out on the 4th. Much busier than I expected.

Also, unless things have changed, Chicago does their fireworks (and, thus, most of the celebrating) on July 3rd. Taste of Chicago should be happening at the same time.

Jimbo88hk said:
A plea for advice from UK. My wife and I would like to take the Zephyr from Chicago to Emeryville. We arrive into Chicago from Minneapolis on the 3rd July and had intended to take the Zephyr out on the 4th. We are now considering celebrating Independance Day in Chicago and travelling on the 5th.
Aloha

In 2001 I rode the Coast Starlight from LA to Seattle on July fourth. It was a great trip. Saw a number of Firework displays, including ariving in SF for theirs. The crew was also in a party moode so the trip was a special ride. This trip was on my way east on the Empire builder the next day, Chigago was still in a celebrating mood the following weekend when I arrived.

9436949-M-1.jpg
The Navy Pier was quite interesting. So you can enjoy whatever you want.

Aloha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back