Indianapolis Amtrak station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lepearso

Lead Service Attendant
Tell me about the Amtrak facility at Indianapolis.

Is it good or bad as far as appearance or functionality? Does Greyhound harm or enhance the service there?

I hear that it was home to a shopping mall comparable to St. Louis Union Station but that the venture failed. Tell me the story there.

I hear that there's almost no parking and that the access from the streets is difficult. Is that true?

I also wonder why it is taking so long to restore checked baggage service. I seem to remember back when the station had checked baggage service in years past that they did NOT handle Amtrak Express shipments. Any particular reason?

Are there any plans to enhance or improve things when and if the Cardinal goes daily?

Anything that anybody can share would be helpful and interesting.

Tell me about the Amtrak facility at Indianapolis.

Is it good or bad as far as appearance or functionality? Does Greyhound harm or enhance the service there?

I hear that it was home to a shopping mall comparable to St. Louis Union Station but that the venture failed. Tell me the story there.

I hear that there's almost no parking and that the access from the streets is difficult. Is that true?

I also wonder why it is taking so long to restore checked baggage service. I seem to remember back when the station had checked baggage service in years past that they did NOT handle Amtrak Express shipments. Any particular reason?

Are there any plans to enhance or improve things when and if the Cardinal goes daily?

Anything that anybody can share would be helpful and interesting.
Indianapolis Union Stations Amtrak facility is not that great. It's in what used to be the baggage room of the depot. There are some of the orginal wooden benchs they moved from the main depot, however they're in pretty rough shape now..and thats really ashame. Greyhound does share it, but it doesn't really do much to enhance anything. Other then a snack counter that's open most of the time. There is an elevator up to track level. But it can be very busy at train time. I normally just use the stairs, dragging my luggage along. Just picked up tickets for an upcoming trip. The station agent told me they are working on getting the checked baggage started..but there is still no firm startup date. But she thinks it will be fairly soon. There is almost NO parking close. There is a passenger drop off area in front of the station that can be accessed from Illinois Street (one way north) Don't know much about the mall but it has been closed for several years. If the Cardinal goes daily, about the only thing that might improve would be the station hours. But I dont see much else happening. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back