Info needed on variable frequency drives like those used on AC locos

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crescent ATN & TCL

OBS Chief
I'm attempting to do a research paper in a motor controls class based on VFDs used in AC traction motors. I would like to do it based on the systems used in an ACS-64. Can anyone direct me to where I could find information on this? Ideally from the utility supply point all the way down to where the electricity enters the motor and turns the wheels.

Have you asked Siemens. I'm sure they can provide detailed information and have a comms department who can handle your inquiry.

having said that, your question is a bit vague though and I think the more precise your question is, the more likely you are to get to a reply. I can imagine that folks at Siemens don't have time to explain the whole of the electric transmission chain to you from first principles (you might be better of researchinbg that on the internet or buying a book), but if you have specific questions that can be answered with a yes, a no, a number or a short explanation (such as what voltage is X or what semiconductor type is this or can I see a circuit diagram of this part) the more likely you are to get a short and precise reply.

There will always be certain facst they won't share with you as they may be trade secrets, but generally most technical stuff they will share.

Before going to loco manufacturers you may want to come upto speed on the basics.You might wish to take a look at pages on the web like:

1. Electric Traction Drives

2. Electronic Power for Trains

3. Electric Locomotive Glossary

This may help you formulate more specific questions to ask the loco manufacturers or others. There is a whole hos of pretty detailed materail available on the web. A judicious Google search is highly recommended before one starts bugging enigneers at the manufacturers.

VFDs in general have gained poularity in many applications since they tend to be more energy efficient as compared to throttling or voltage control (like DC motors) They are in wide use in newer industrial and mechanical (HVAC) applications. The ability to deal effectively with high current applications reliably is due in no small part to the advances in solid state controls, and a good starting point for your research may be to look at information about IGBT controllers. There is quite a bit out there.

Back