Info needed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakadirondack

Lead Service Attendant
My friend was talking about a device that let him listen to the trains operating crew’s conversations, I was wondering about it, is it illegal to use? If it is not illegal to use, how much does it cost? And where can I buy one? And what is it called and what does it look like? Just wondering about it.

Its a scanner, I dont think they are illegal to use. It depends on what kind of brand and model what the price is. You can get one at an electronics store. It looks almost like a walky talky.

I know Radio Shack has always carried them.

Another resource to buy good portable scanners is from Racing Electronics - they make a variety of handheld scanners that people use at races to listen to the crews and drivers.

E-Bay is also a good source to consider too.

Radio shack has them. You're going to need a basic scanner with 100 channels (as that is the ARR) standard. It'll cost anywhere from $90-120. Here is a page from the old OTOL site that has all the info you'll need on railroad scanners.

I have a scanner I purchased in 1998. Every single time I take the train I always listen in to the crews. I find it very helpfull, as sometimes I know the REAL reason for a delay :lol: . The scanner can also keep you in touch with exactly what is going on around the train.

A railfan as well-versed as amtrakadirondack has not heard of a scanner???

Anthony said:
Surprising isn't it. :lol:

I also got my 200 channel (or is it 150?) from radio shack, I love having it on the train, its good since few crews give info on delays. You also get to hear defect detectors and just ordinary coversations between conductors/engineers.

Examples: Hearing a conductor ask an engineer if he wants coffee, and should he bring it up front in Palatka or DeLand?

This past trip as I mentioned, I knew why we lost HEP and that we were just coasting.

April 2002, I heard over the scanner that Gunn was hired as Amtrak President.

Remember though to get rechargable batteries and headphones, considering you're really not supposed to have it blasting in coach, or in the privacy of your sleeper you don't need headphones, but either have it turned down or close your door.

Click Here for the OTOL Scanner page (currently under construction)

Click Here for the Amtrak Frequencies Page from OTOL.

Enjoy, I can't imagine railfanning without my scanner. :)

Plus at busier stations like New York, I can sometimes hear my trains track assignment in advance.

Amfleet said:
Radio shack has them. You're going to need a basic scanner with 100 channels (as that is the ARR) standard. It'll cost anywhere from $90-120. Here is a page from the old OTOL site that has all the info you'll need on railroad scanners.
I personally have a 30 channel scanner (Uniden Bearcat $70 at Best Buy) that does the job for me. I don't find it a burden to reprogram when I take a trip. If anything it makes my life easier so that when we roll channels I only have to toggle through 3 or 4 channels, not 30 something. But it's all a matter of personal preference. What I do when I program channels in I'm not familiar with off the top of my head, I create a cheat sheet on the computer and just tape it to the back of my radio so when it comes time to change I can use that as my guide.

Thank you all for the info! :) :) :)

Just one more question, the Scanner, is it like a walkie-talkie where you can talk to other people on it, or is it just a listening device?

amtrakadirondack said:
Thank you all for the info! :) :) :)
Just one more question, the Scanner, is it like a walkie-talkie where you can talk to other people on it, or is it just a listening device?
Listening only.

In order to talk you need a HAM radio license, but it is illegal to talk on RR frequencies, even though the radio recieves them. You can however talk on HAM frequencies with no penalty.

Some high-end scanners do act as walkie talkies, but if you EVER, EVER talk on a raillroad channel and/or railroad frequency that is considered illegal. Punishment will lead to you loosing your scanner, paying a fine, and possibly jail time.

Amfleet said:
Some high-end scanners do act as walkie talkies, but if you EVER, EVER talk on a raillroad channel and/or railroad frequency that is considered illegal. Punishment will lead to you loosing your scanner, paying a fine, and possibly jail time.
Mine actually this capability when I first purchased it. I had to have it taken out just incase I were to accidently press the button sometimes... B)

AMTRAK-P42 said:
Mine actually this capability when I first purchased it. I had to have it taken out just incase I were to accidently press the button sometimes... B)
How did you have it "taken out"?

battalion51 said:
Cut the wire?
Yes, I'm sure that would work, but I just have a hard time believing that someone with a high-end scanner that can transmit would actually damage their scanner in that fashion. What if they ever wanted to sell it?

Anthony said:
Excessive posting of that which lacks substance.

I was going to do a post about this topic a few days ago, but I am glad the site administrators decided to take this action.

Sure, all of us occasionally post a message or two that gets ignored.

But a true railfan without knowledge of scanners or GPSs, that's a bit much!

Allen Dee said:
Excessive posting of that which lacks substance.
I was going to do a post about this topic a few days ago, but I am glad the site administrators decided to take this action.

Sure, all of us occasionally post a message or two that gets ignored.

But a true railfan without knowledge of scanners or GPSs, that's a bit much!
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back