Interactive Amtrak Map

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dart330

OBS Chief
I have been trying out a new software and ended up loading all of the Amtrak rail lines and stations available from the National Transportation Atlas Database onto a Bing Roads map with imagery available. I hadn't seen anything like this posted here, so thought I would share. It is not perfect, but lets you trace your route pretty well. I had been curious to see how we would get into WAS from the South, now I know.

http://bit.ly/y6GtAN

Enjoy!

Pretty cool idea. I'm not much of a track route expert but I can say fairly conclusively that the route the map shows the Texas Eagle taking into or out of San Antonio is not entirely correct. Not sure I completely understand where this map is getting its data from or why it's off but I can supply more information for the SAS city limits if you want it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I noticed SAS too, as I had just visited over New Years.

This is the source of the data: http://www.bts.gov/publications/national_transportation_atlas_database/

It has each track segment broken out by railroad owner, and if Amtrak uses it or not. I don't know how often the Amtrak information is updated, and I know in places like STL where it can take multiple routes leaving the city towards CHI, there is only one line, so that may be the case with SAS; multiple possibilities and they just show what the host RR designated as used by Amtrak at some point in time.

If you click on the rail line, it will tell you who the host RR is. Clicking on a station dot gives you the name, code, and address.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool. Thanks for taking the time. I will refer to this in planning (or even fantasizing about) any trip.

The Newport News segment is a little funky too unless it means that the train extends beyond the station (which is the NER terminus) to get turned around.

Well at least now I know which way the empire uses between pasco and spokane!
laugh.gif

Well at least now I know which way the empire uses between pasco and spokane!
laugh.gif
Not quite. :lol: The route shown on the map is used by eastbound EBs. Westbound, the EB uses the tracks that are shown to the left of that route on the map. At some point a few miles from Spokane (and I'm not sure of the exact spot) the rail lines merge.
Good to know!

Cool. FYI, the station site in Greensboro NC is incorrect. The map shows the former site of the station. In 2005 Amtrak moved back into the 1927 station, which was restored, at the junction of the two yellow lines. Also the station in Durham NC has moved to the north side of the tracks, in essentially the same location.

The problem with the BTS Amtrak data, besides the fact that it is not always up to date, is that it does not include the Canadian trackage.

I'd be happy to include more accurate data if someone can provide it in a GIS compatible format. The BTS data was the only source I could find with the nationwide network.

I'm trying to go from the state studies I have read over the years, that is one Line I had laying around that was pulled from an old Amtrak schedule, I don't know why MO/IL dropped it. Going to add in the Iowa City and Madison line next if I can find the proposed route maps or timetable. Also have one connecting KC to Denver without going through Omaha.

I got the Denver - Topeka route added from the KS study of March 2000. That is probably the most unrealistic one I will add!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back