Internet via Sprint

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ayndim

Train Attendant
I will be taking the Sunset Limited to New Orleans tomorrow. I have quite a bit of homework due Saturday night. I was going to try to get it done tonight but you know how it goes. Anyway, I have mobile broadband through Sprint. Does anyone know how likely I am to have some internet service, at least at some point? Thanks

I will be taking the Sunset Limited to New Orleans tomorrow. I have quite a bit of homework due Saturday night. I was going to try to get it done tonight but you know how it goes. Anyway, I have mobile broadband through Sprint. Does anyone know how likely I am to have some internet service, at least at some point? Thanks
Youll probably have service around cities that are large enough for computer /phone technology and/or where there is a college, you didnt indicate where you were getting on but West Texas is very desolute and my Sprint Phone didnt work for hundreds of miles last time I rode! Between Houston and NOL shouldnt be bad except possibly out in the swamps where theres more gators than people! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode the Sunset Limited from Houston to New Orleans in 2005 and had T-Mobile Internet coverage practically the entire way. The tracks for the most part follow I-10 and Highway 90 in that section so you're usually in cell range.

So you probably have a good chance for Sprint coverage there as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a few minutes to pull together a map showing Sprint's DATA coverage for the regions in which the Sunset Limited runs. I have added a line roughly approximating the Sunset's route. If I have the route drawn correctly, you should have data coverage for most of the trip, allthough in the areas shaded in light gray and tan, data speeds may be limited. The only areas where it appears you will have no DATA coverage all seem to be between El Paso and Del Rio.

SunsetLimitedSprintDataCoverage.jpg

I took a few minutes to pull together a map showing Sprint's DATA coverage for the regions in which the Sunset Limited runs. I have added a line roughly approximating the Sunset's route. If I have the route drawn correctly, you should have data coverage for most of the trip, allthough in the areas shaded in light gray and tan, data speeds may be limited. The only areas where it appears you will have no DATA coverage all seem to be between El Paso and Del Rio.
One other thing to check before your trip... If your data plan allows for free roaming (most do nowadays) take a moment to ensure that your system is set up to allow roaming.

Here is how to do so using two of the more common connection programs:

* Sprint SmartView - Tools menu > Settings > Mobile Tab.... set "Network Selection" to Auto.

* Sprint Mobile Broadband - Menu > Settings > Sprint Mobile Broadband - (your card model name) > Ensure "Automatic" is selected in both the Mode and Roaming sections.

In the Sprint Mobile Broadband application, you can also disable "Roam Guard" if you wish... this will prevent warnings from appearing if you try to connect while roaming. (The warnings are irrelevant if your plan includes free roaming)

The same is true for your phone and voice coverage... make sure roaming is enabled (provided it is included on your plan.. it is included on most plans now) to minimize gaps in service.

Thanks. You guys are awesome. I do have roaming on my cell and on the mobile broadband. Well 300 MB on the mobile broadband while roaming. Since most of my work can be done offline, I think I'll be okay. I just need to be able to send it to my professor via email when it is done. The nice thing about the route is that I will hit the 4G area, where I have unlimited usage. Although I have never even approached my 5 GB limit in a month anyway. I guess I can upload some pics to Picassa when I am in the 4G area.

Youll probably have service around cities that are large enough for computer /phone technology and/or where there is a college, you didnt indicate where you were getting on but West Texas is very desolute and my Sprint Phone didnt work for hundreds of miles last time I rode! Between Houston and NOL shouldnt be bad except possibly out in the swamps where theres more gators than people! :(
My experience matches Jim's and the data map that was posted. I had no Sprint service through most of west Texas when I rode the Texas Eagle last month. Not sure of the coverage farther east since the TE splits off at San Antonio. I didn't try the roaming, though (didn't know if it was free on my plan and didn't want to take any chances).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back