Iran train travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 6862

Engineer
Is there any personal info on this forum for train travel in Iran? Yes I have read Seat61 and one or two other sites but looking for a little more personal information should there be any.

Part of a longer LD train journey but this is the country I'm looking at as the first in the journey that may need a lot of work to enable.

Thanks as usual, here is always my first port of call for help.

Is there any personal info on this forum for train travel in Iran? Yes I have read Seat61 and one or two other sites but looking for a little more personal information should there be any.

Part of a longer LD train journey but this is the country I'm looking at as the first in the journey that may need a lot of work to enable.

Thanks as usual, here is always my first port of call for help.

There's a trip in Iran I'd like to make, too, v v - the overnighter to/from Turkey. But independent travel in Iran has too many barriers for me at present, mostly to do with US foreign policy screwing down access to funds and using credit-cards.

In addition to which, the USA then makes it difficult to obtain a visa for travel to the US once a traveller has visited Iran.

Australia is a member, like Iran, of the Asian Football Federation, and Oz national as well as club sides play Iran and Iranian club sides in competition. I've been amongst Iran fans at the Asian Cup when it was held in Oz, and they are a fine bunch of joyous supporters (women were present in the crowd at the games in Oz: they're not in Iran, and they took great advantage of the ability to support Iran at the tournament), and I'd be keen to catch a big match in Tehran if poss.

That and the cradle of civilisation.

I've read the major lines and trains are German-supplied and engineered, so the sooner normal circumstances apply, I'm there! Good luck on your planning, and I'll be following your updates.

There's a trip in Iran I'd like to make, too, v v - the overnighter to/from Turkey. But independent travel in Iran has too many barriers for me at present, mostly to do with US foreign policy screwing down access to funds and using credit-cards.

In addition to which, the USA then makes it difficult to obtain a visa for travel to the US once a traveller has visited Iran.

Australia is a member, like Iran, of the Asian Football Federation, and Oz national as well as club sides play Iran and Iranian club sides in competition. I've been amongst Iran fans at the Asian Cup when it was held in Oz, and they are a fine bunch of joyous supporters (women were present in the crowd at the games in Oz: they're not in Iran, and they took great advantage of the ability to support Iran at the tournament), and I'd be keen to catch a big match in Tehran if poss.

That and the cradle of civilisation.

I've read the major lines and trains are German-supplied and engineered, so the sooner normal circumstances apply, I'm there! Good luck on your planning, and I'll be following your updates.

The plan is... this fall Argentina and Chile which is part planned and mostly booked but sadly very little train available, 2024 from Paris to Dhaka (no not Dakar).
The second trip will be almost all by train but will take a lot of planning if possible at all.
Two problem countries may be Iran and Pakistan, Iran due to political problems and Pakistan due to safety issues.

If we stay healthy we will make both trips, in fact we can't wait.

Will keep you updated as general and train advice comes together

Yeah, this is one country I will not be visiting. Best of luck if you try it.

But you wouldn't be bored riding the rails across Iran, that's for sure! But do understand what you mean, we are all different with different likes/dislikes and levels of risk.

This DW documentary is a few years old but shows a bit of the flavor of train travel in Iran

Absolutely intriguing, thank you for finding that

My risk factor is serving in the US Army. No need to be someone pawn. Can’t risk it, too easy of a mark. A simple google search will raise flags if your looking for a chip in your game. Too many trains, too many countries, that have yet to visited to take that kind of risk.

I understand fully, no offence meant.

I'm eager to hear as well - it's my understanding that Iran is actually a very urban and sophisticated country. I've had colleagues (much older) who worked there in the 70's and said the people were very warm and gracious.

I have heard the same too.

Iran is a very ancient civilisation so I understand which has much there to discover. Obviously it isn't a heavily visited country now so no too much information to be found that is up to date.
Currently we are concentrating on this year's travels in Argentina and Chile, but starting to look for any scraps of info for the 2024 long distance train ride.

Back