Is Coast Starlight still cut off?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cheapfurcoat

Anyone know the status of the Coast Starlight since the tunnel fire on the UP cut the service off at Eugene?

I've seen an article that states the tunnel will open Monday. Don't know if the Starlight will start up right away or not.

As of yesterday, the Coast Starlight was still running an abbreviated consist between Seattle and Portland and Eugene. This is similar to what they did last summer when the UP was making tunnel repairs on the Cascades line. Apparently, the Starlight is running to Eugene, then passengers are bused to Klamath Falls where they board a train again for the rest of the way to Los Angeles. The process is reversed for the northbound runs. Neither Amtrak nor the UP knows when repairs will be made and normal service will return. Yesterday's southbound train had: a single P42 locomotive, 3 Superliner coaches, a sightseer/lounge, and two sleepers. There were no baggage car, diner, or Pacific Parlour car.

The Seattle-Portland-Eugene Cascades trains continue to run as usual with no apparent disruption.

UP has been rerouting its through freights via the Oregon Trunk line (Central Oregon) and its Overland route to Salt Lake and then to the LA area. I presume the UP cannot go on forever like this; I am hoping they will get this lined fixed as soon as possible.

I hope they get it all fixed up before the middle of October. I am going to Klamath Falls then via Coast Starlight.

I saw the (soutbound) Starlight pass by today, and it was a full-consist train. So, trains are running more or less normally; that means still with delays on occasion. Today's train had a deadheading Puget Sounder commuter car between the locomotives and the baggage. A Superliner lounge was substituted for a Pacific Parlour Car and another sighteer/lounge for coach passengers. Apparently, UP freights are also running normally again. Good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back