Is hot water easily available on CZ for Sleepers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We will be traveling on the CZ in another month. We have a bedroom. I must have a cup of coffee in the morning and always bring a travel french press and my own coffee. Can I get hot water on the Sleeper car?

Thanks

It is if you take it out of the shower.

Also: They have it in the dining car. I'm sure you can go in there and they'll be happy to give it to you. Or even a cup of water at breakfast you can drink it there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ask your SCA for the hot water. If you want your coffee when you wake up, ask the SCA

to wake you and bring the hot water at the same time.

Hello,

I bought this immersion heater at my local Ace Hardware:

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1333319

This thing is amazing, just make sure you put it in the water BEFORE you plug it in, and unplug it BEFORE you take it out of the water. If you do not have it covered with water while it is plugged in then it will short out. Honestly this is the best purchase I have made for my travels even when I am staying in a hotel I use it to boil the water. I just stir it around a little with a spoon to get an even heating, let it do it's thing, unplug it, take it out of the cup, and put it in the tea bag or instant coffee. I usually wait about 30 seconds before I take it out of the cup after it boils just to make sure it is not too hot and shorts out.

best travels,

BOS-T-Time

Caution! That Ace Hardware immersion heater uses 200 watts of electricity. I am not certain what the ratings are for the 110 volt electrical outlets in the sleeping rooms. But I would assume that they can deliver 200 watts.

The outlets are 120V, and a 200W appliance would be rated at 0.6Amps. I'mm sure the breakers are the same, running 15-20A per segment. Not sure how many outlets are connected to one breaker though...

Would it still be hot enough by the time you got it? The little immersion gadget seems a safer bet to me. ??Enjoy your trip!
In what way does boiling water with an electric appliance in a confined roomette on a bouncing train seem to be safer? :blink: :lol: :giggle:

Also: How quickly does any hot beverage on the train cool down? They would be putting it in those paper cups with a lid I'm sure, and the diners not on the other side of town, just one or two cars over...

The outlets are 120V, and a 200W appliance would be rated at 0.6Amps. I'mm sure the breakers are the same, running 15-20A per segment. Not sure how many outlets are connected to one breaker though...
200W at 120V is roughly 1.7 Amps assuming a PF of 1.0 (good assumption with a resistance load).

200W at 120V is roughly 1.7 Amps assuming a PF of 1.0 (good assumption with a resistance load).
I must greatly apologize for my miscalculation. You are correct. The reason for my apology is that I'm an engineer. No, not a choo choo engineer, but an electrical and electronics engineer.

I must greatly apologize for my miscalculation. You are correct. The reason for my apology is that I'm an engineer. No, not a choo choo engineer, but an electrical and electronics engineer.
Hey Krazy, I was SHOCKED to find that you are an Electrical Engineer!!

A 15 Amp plug doesn't necessarily supply all 15 amps but instead should be limited to no more than 15 amps.

However, a 200 Watt load only draws (about) 1.8 amps which is small enough that it shouldn't be a problem.

Would it still be hot enough by the time you got it? The little immersion gadget seems a safer bet to me. ??
In what way does boiling water with an electric appliance in a confined roomette on a bouncing train seem to be safer?
Looking at the reviews of the product, there seem to be a lot of failures in the first few uses. Whether this is due to user error or a problem with the device, I don't know. But with that high a failure rate, I wouldn't trust it.

--

Bud

Bringing this discussion back to water, I'm a big fan of drinking my own cup of tea in the morning and watching the sunrise and terrain go by before breakfast, so I've needed hot water in many occasion. I've always been able to get it from the dining car, either through the SCA or, when a less than stellar employee (a shocker, I know!) wasn't present, by going and asking myself. The water was always still steaming and still plenty hot enough on the walk back to the sleeper. I will say however that the cups Amtrqk provides only hold about 3/4 cup of water theay they fill them up, so if you bring your own larger travel mug like I do, you may want to get in the habit of asking for 2.

~ DCTE

am i missing something, on my sleeper last year the SCA

had a coffee pot that had hot water for tea plus the pot of coffee

so i assume there is hot water in the sleepers

There is only a teakettle present in the sleeper if there is also a stellar SCA like Charles (EB to/from PDX), who brings his own when he is on duty. I've been lots of long distance trains, and Charles is the only SCA I've *ever* seen that brought a teakettle for his passengers! So you can't count on it. You also can't count on them being willing to fill any other container than a paper cup with hot water, though they will usually fill my mug for me in the diner (almost never in the SSL lounge). The water is always plenty hot.

You also can't count on them being willing to fill any other container than a paper cup with hot water, though they will usually fill my mug for me in the diner (almost never in the SSL lounge). The water is always plenty hot.
I'm wondering whether it would be proper to bring a 1 Liter thermos and have them fill that with hot water?

--

Bud

am i missing something, on my sleeper last year the SCAhad a coffee pot that had hot water for tea plus the pot of coffee

was that on a viewliner or superliner?
I am a tea drinker and am always looking for hot water and lately I have not seem hot water dispensers in sleepers. The Viewliners used to have machines that would dispense hot water. I think all of them are broken and they use only coffee pots now. The only hot water dispensers in sleepers that I am aware of are on the Auto Train.

I'm wondering whether it would be proper to bring a 1 Liter thermos and have them fill that with hot water?
Well in theory it costs them nothing extra to fill it for you, so any crew member in the diner should be happy to do so for a sleeper customer. But that is in theory, you could easily hit an employee who doesn't want to be bothered to make the effort.

am i missing something, on my sleeper last year the SCAhad a coffee pot that had hot water for tea plus the pot of coffee

was that on a viewliner or superliner?
I am a tea drinker and am always looking for hot water and lately I have not seem hot water dispensers in sleepers. The Viewliners used to have machines that would dispense hot water. I think all of them are broken and they use only coffee pots now. The only hot water dispensers in sleepers that I am aware of are on the Auto Train.
My SCA on the LSL (a viewliner) in November told me they took out the boiling water spigots due to liability isses. So, if you want hot water you have to make it yourself or ask for it in the diner or lounge. If you ask for it in the lounge, they will only put it in a paper cup, and tell you various stories why they can't fill your container (health dept rules or inventory control, you fill in the real reason).

Well in theory it costs them nothing extra to fill it for you, so any crew member in the diner should be happy to do so for a sleeper customer. But that is in theory, you could easily hit an employee who doesn't want to be bothered to make the effort.
They have it there and it costs them nothing. But they give it out to sleeper customers only? Very strange?? If they can't be bothered to make the effort to provide a simple service like filling a thermos, then there goes the tip. 20% of a $20 (dinner) meal is only $4, but you would think that those in the service industry be interested in providing good service and getting tips.

--

Bud

KKoala: "...a safer bet" means "more likely to happen," as in "the water is more likely to be hot enough for making coffee." Perhaps you don't understand some of our expressions? Did not mean to confuse you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back