Is The Eclipse A Missed Opportunity For Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Carbondale special got a lot of play in local TV reporting about the eclipse. In addition, local broadcaster/podcaster Steve Dahl recorded his podcast aboard the Carl Sandburg headed to Quincy to an eclipse party. So, I think Amtrak got some pretty good publicity yesterday.

For what it's worth... I was on a southwest flight yesterday from Denver to nashville for work. Was just a regular flight.. But since it traveled during the eclipse southwest gave out free southwest branded glasses, and offered free drinks (mimosas and bloody Mary's) and free cookies.

The pilots also did some high banked turns to try to give passngers a view of the eclipse when possible.

A TV report that features scenes from the eclipse special that ran from Portland to the Oregon State Fairgrounds. The southbound train was on time, but the return trip northbound was delayed two hours for reasons I can't figure out. That's unfortunate, since it was probably a difficult day for families with small children, but the gridlock traffic jam on I-5 from Salem to Portland yesterday afternoon meant the two-hour train delay was probably still a faster trip than driving.

http://katu.com/news/local/hundreds-catch-train-to-salem-for-eclipse

A TV report that features scenes from the eclipse special that ran from Portland to the Oregon State Fairgrounds. The southbound train was on time, but the return trip northbound was delayed two hours for reasons I can't figure out. That's unfortunate, since it was probably a difficult day for families with small children, but the gridlock traffic jam on I-5 from Salem to Portland yesterday afternoon meant the two-hour train delay was probably still a faster trip than driving.

http://katu.com/news/local/hundreds-catch-train-to-salem-for-eclipse
Three separate broken air hose incidents were the cause of those delays.

Hi,

I understand that the Chicago to Carbondale Eclipse Train had 6 coaches. A coworker who lives in Chicago decided at the last minute to take his family, so they drove. It took them 6 hours to get there and 12 hours to drive home in the crawling traffic jam on I-57!!! The normal drive time is just over 5 hours. The Amtrak passengers definitely had a faster and more enjoyable trip.

Posted on another site 2 AM1, 4 Horizon, 1 AM1 split club, a P42 at each end. I don't know if the seats in the split were sold or they used that car because it was available. There was talk that extra sets were being added, that would have been a way to add some without making the train longer.

Amtrak Eclipse Trains in 2024!!!!!

Amtrak will have an opportunity to run many more Eclipse Trains in 2024, depending on how many spare passenger car & locos they then. Amtrak trains run through many of the "total eclipse cities" and 2024 will km have a longer 4-1/2 minutes total darkness event. The "Lake Shore Limited could be the defacto eclipse train. Some of the cities with a total eclipse will be Dallas, Carbondale (again!), Indianapolis, Toledo, Cleveland and Buffalo. Amtrak won't have short storage track problems on Eclipse Trains to Indianapolis because the could lay over at Beach Grove. The Lake Shore Limited could run with extra sections and special overnight trains from NYC to Buffalo would be sold out in less than a day!!! The eclipe is on April 8th, so the summer surge equipment can be utilized to help carry more passengers. Here's a link to the path of the 2024 eclipse.

https://m.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/missing-2017s-total-solar-eclipse-start-planning-for-the-next-one-in-2024/70002507

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on the Carolinian #80 yesterday and it was at least partly an eclipse train. Oversold they kept saying. I got on in Durham and the train was pretty full by then. I had driven from SC to Chapel Hill Sunday evening - the traffic on I85 was not that bad in either direction. Apparently it was much worse if one went to the mountains in western NC. So a lot of people on #80 coming back from the eclipse, very talky, very social trip. Friendly conductors, pretty good OTP, adequate equipment. There were two PV cars, one at the front directly behind the engine and another at the end behind the baggage car + 4 coaches, BC car, cafe car and baggage car. Much much nicer than the Dog going down.

LATER: By the way, I saw additional evidence Sunday that all of our transportation system doesn't work well at least some of the time. The bus from Lynchburg was late Sunday morning so folks on that bus missed their transfer/connection north here in CVS. They had to go on to Richmond and hope for the best there. There was chaos there when we arrived. Many, many delays and the woman in the seat next to me on the way south on a totally packed bus had spent the night in that station as a result. It reminded me of Austobuses Americanos in San Antonio. It was not pleasant although the effect on me personally was minimal. Last May I arrived at MSP airport for my United flight home only to be told AT AIRPORT CHECKIN that the flight was canceled. Period. No offers of any assistance or anything. When asked if I could rebook for the next day they said yes and did so but no conciliatory offers at all. Just shows me that they, like Greyhound, simply don't care, because they don't have to.

In the two Sleepers on 92 out of Columbia early morning yesterday there were only 5 rooms not originating in Columbia! The rest were all boarded at Columbia. Almost all of those rooms turned over en route from New York, so they were used at least twice, some three times. I am told the situation was similar on the Meteor out of Charleston, though have no first hand knowledge.

For the next one, for getting to Buffalo and Rochester from New York, I don't see LSL as the primary means. I think there will be additional Empire Service arranged between Amtrak and NY State. LSL will play a role only from the west.

There will be an opportunity from New York to Plattsburg too either on the Adirondack or a special train.

Hi,

I understand that the Chicago to Carbondale Eclipse Train had 6 coaches. A coworker who lives in Chicago decided at the last minute to take his family, so they drove. It took them 6 hours to get there and 12 hours to drive home in the crawling traffic jam on I-57!!! The normal drive time is just over 5 hours. The Amtrak passengers definitely had a faster and more enjoyable trip.
I drove as well (saw too late that some space had opened up on the special). But my return drive was a little under nine hours (excluding stops) from Paducah, KY to Chicago (about six normally) as my nav app took me up some blessedly empty back county roads 10 or so miles east of I-57 for the first 100+ miles.

For the next one, for getting to Buffalo and Rochester from New York, I don't see LSL as the primary means. I think there will be additional Empire Service arranged between Amtrak and NY State. LSL will play a role only from the west.

There will be an opportunity from New York to Plattsburg too either on the Adirondack or a special train.

It took an extreme amount of cooperation to get these trains added. A lot can happen in 7 years but CSX is notoriously stingy with that route. They'd probably need to start negotiating now to make it happen in time.

AC, our SCA on the Meteor, said that on Monday they had over 200 passengers up to the eclipse viewing area.

Just to give you some idea, the Star had to extend its stop at Columbia to over 20 minutes to board everyone on Monday night. Lines were stretching out the back door of the little station building there. And this was only for the Southbound. There were already a couple of dozen Northbound passengers at the station though their train was more than an hour away.

Actually that's fairly common here in Columbia. We tend to do decent traffic in and out with several colleges, fort Jackson, and other destinations. But it should be noted the train should if ontime get into Columbia at 125 am.

Hi,

The Chicago to Carbondale Eclipse Train was popular, but the track space was limited to only a six car train. Depending on negotiations with CSX, Amtrak can run MULTIPLE long trains to Indianapolis since they can park the trains at Beach Grove during the layover! The April 8th eclipse date means the long distance trains are still using their shorter consists, so there will be more equipment available for extra trains than there was last week.

Actually that's fairly common here in Columbia. We tend to do decent traffic in and out with several colleges, fort Jackson, and other destinations. But it should be noted the train should if ontime get into Columbia at 125 am.
I bet you don't normally board all rooms except 5 + staff rooms in Sleepers from Columbia every day

Hi,

The Chicago to Carbondale Eclipse Train was popular, but the track space was limited to only a six car train. Depending on negotiations with CSX, Amtrak can run MULTIPLE long trains to Indianapolis since they can park the trains at Beach Grove during the layover! The April 8th eclipse date means the long distance trains are still using their shorter consists, so there will be more equipment available for extra trains than there was last week.
The CDL train operated with 7 cars and had an engine on each end. That being said, CSX is notoriously stingy with their slots. Additionally, the route to IND requires the cooperation of multiple railroads. However, if the states push the right buttons and the routes haven't been downgraded, there is plenty of room in Beech Grove. Who knows...maybe the Midwest Bi-levels will be online by then.

I bet you don't normally board all rooms except 5 + staff rooms in Sleepers from Columbia every day
That is true we normally don't board that many. But the coaches Thad actually fairly normal surprisingly. Columbia does brisk coach business. More so on the northbound.

Back