Is there a New Boarding Procedure at CUS for Sleeper Passengers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We haven't been on a trip West though Chicago since August 2016. SInce we always travel in a bedroom, our connection between trains finds us at the Metropolitan Lounge. In 2016 you just showed your ticket at the front desk, you made yourself comfortable, they announced your boarding time and guided you to your train. We have read of changes to the boarding protocol at CUS and are wondering if there any difference in the boarding procedure for sleeper passengers?

Check in at the ML like before. They announce the train, point you in the right direction, then everyone walks as a group to the correct track, hopefully before anyone else has started to board.

Sometimes there is a lack of coordination with the gate dragons, conductor and lounge staff. This leads to some standing and confusion.

If you have any difficulty with walking or standing, get a red cap.

Since sleepers are assigned, is there any value to boarding sooner than later, as long as you're on time?

Since sleepers are assigned, is there any value to boarding sooner than later, as long as you're on time?
Nope. I've boarded about 8 minutes prior to departure from chicago... It's actually nice because there is pretty much no line at that point.

The only one I can think of is if you concerned about luggage space. My wife and I travel with folding bikes; and it's always nice if there is room in the rack (speaking about superliners of course).

From the replies I gather that the boarding procedure from the Metropolitan Lounge is the same as last year. They just announce now boarding train --- and they walk you down as a group to the loading platform. Got to love that new metro lounge. It is so much larger, brighter, modern and better looking than than the dingy old basement spot. The only thing that we miss is the luggage check room but so far the new self service baggage room has worked out and its been secure. .

They no longer walk you to the train, they just announce it. If you don't get a redcap, you have to ask the various Amtrak agents where to go if you are sleeeper / BC, etc.

I've only been through once with the new procedure and it went very smooth, with the first Amtrak gate agent I encountered letting me pass and go directly to the train.

No one takes you to the gate, they just point and tell you the track number. If on top of things, the Amtrak people at the entrance for the track will pass you in as Sleeper passengers, they should know that the ML is sending passengers over. But in Amtrak, there are times when the left hand doesn't have a clue what the right hand is doing.

When we boarded last month, it was fairly straightforward until we got to the gate and discovered that the coach passengers had already been sent to the gate. So many of the sleeper car passengers ended up in line for the coach cars and had to be directed to go around all the other lines to the front of the train where the sleeper cars were (SWC).

I was surprised that they didn't send the sleeper car passengers first so that they wouldn't have to try to get around all the coach passengers. Luckily there was no train on the next track but the sleeper car passengers were having to dodge not only the coach passenger lines but also the redcaps trying to get past the coach lines also.

Back