Isaak Walton Inn

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn

Service Attendant
OK, I am thinking of taking the EB from Seattle to Essex on April 8, stay at the Izaak Walton Inn on the 9th and catch the westbound EB on the 10th. Just a quick getaway...more for the train, of course...

But, has anyone ever stayed at the Izaak? I see lots of MIXED reviews about the place...I am wondering if anyone has any alternative ideas, such as Whitefish or Havre?

Ideas, thoughts, experiences?

THANKS!

OK, I am thinking of taking the EB from Seattle to Essex on April 8, stay at the Izaak Walton Inn on the 9th and catch the westbound EB on the 10th. Just a quick getaway...more for the train, of course...
But, has anyone ever stayed at the Izaak? I see lots of MIXED reviews about the place...I am wondering if anyone has any alternative ideas, such as Whitefish or Havre?

Ideas, thoughts, experiences?

THANKS!
I stayed there for a couple of nights in November. First night I was the only guest there.

I am fairly picky about my hotels, but the staff were friendly,Crystal the waitress was really funny and interesting to talk to, my room was trackside and very comfortable, although not awash with hot and cold ice machines and 70"plasma TV screen, but I didn't expect that anyway.

The noise from the trains wasn't too bad, except for a bout of horn blowing at 0500 one morning, the restaurant produces hearty tasty food, the trout with pesto is superb and they carry a decent range of microbrews.

I liked it. Even if the weather is bad, then it is good switch off time and sit and relax and watch the trains go by.

Most of the bad reviews I read on Trip Advisor seemed to refer to the cabooses they have over the other side of the railway.

we have stayed at belton chalet at belton (west glacier). we took the eb from spokane. if they still have low season rates for the lewis and clark cabins i would recommend it. it's the original great northern glacier park hotel. about a mile hike to lake mc donald. good x-country skiing (though not as good as the issac walton). check out the belotn chalet website

Well, dang, I keep thinking of what would be a good short trip from here and not a repeat of what I did last year (BEL>PDX>SPK>PDX>BEL). I can catch the Empire Builder in Everett easily and would love to hop to Glacier and back. I need to put your itinerary on my list of possibilities.

Great staff! There's a red van that picks you up at the station and transports you to the hotel. The food there is also really good!

There's no TV's! Just trains! Turn off your cell phone, there is no cell phone service. They do have a pay phone.

But my overall rating is A+!

Thanks,

Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back