Issues with the Amtrak App...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

VAtrainfan

Service Attendant
"Cool Story Bro" time...

No email from Amtrak or any other communication prompted me to check my reservation, I just looked up my res to see my arrival time because my ride asked me in conversation and I couldn't remember exactly. And that's when I went down the rabbit hole.

"⚠ Service Canceled"

❓❔❓

Checked my email, checked the junk and deleted folders, nothing from Amtrak telling me anything was amiss. And my trip is 3 days away. So will I be standing on an empty platform?

Tapped the ⚠ and was taken to a list of every single track construction-related schedule disruption scheduled for the next six months. The NEC and Keystone lines were both mentioned frequently, but no mention of any canceled trains. Just schedule adjustments of between 5-15 minutes. So I may have to get to the station a few minutes earlier on my return trip. Big deal. Why all the ⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠ then?

Thinking this was just the app being weird, I went to the desktop website to check. It got even worse there. Went to My Trips and I see my reservation. Clicked on Details and see "Canceled" all over the place. All four segments. But no mention of a refund, no re-booking, no option to change anything. Just a whole lotta "Nope!"

Okay. You're gonna make me talk to Julie. I join the queue at 1-800-USA-RAIL. After a lot of "I didn't quite get that" and "I still didn't understand that" because my Virginia/Carolina hybrid accent isn't DC enough for Julie, I got to listen to the digitally-compressed Don Henley playlist. But only for 20 minutes, which was longer than the 15 Julie told me I would wait but far less than the hours I've heard about people waiting.

The reservation agent cleared it up in 15 seconds. But if I hadn't called, it's possible (even likely) the conductor would have gotten an error when scanning my ticket. Apparently, the Keystone was changed from non-reserved seating to reserved seating. Since I booked before the change and was still listed as a non-reserved seat, my reservation was in limbo. And the app was ⚠ all over itself, but completely unable to help or explain why.

Now that that's cleared up, it's still ⚠ me about service disruptions on the NEC and Keystone. None of those disruptions apply to my travel dates or even my train numbers, but it just sees the words "Keystone" or "Northeast Regional" on the list of future track work schedule adjustments and goes all ⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠⚠ over it.

pennyk

Amtrak Rider
Staff member
Administator
Gathering Team Member
I just encountered a similar experience with "service canceled" notation on app and on my account on website. I have AGR status, so I called AGR (and this was an AGR reservation to San Diego in October). The first time I called, I was told the wait was 30 minutes, which I did not have so I hung up and tried again an hour later. Again I was informed the wait would be 30 minutes, but I had the time and decided to do something else while waiting. The wait was less than 10 minutes and the agent was very nice and apologized for the "antiquated Amtrak reservation system." There were 2 schedule changes on my outgoing trip which caused the system to cancel a couple of segments and book me on the same segments with the new times. I have a new eticket now. Since there is a lot of time between now and October, I guess I should expect more cancellations/schedule changes.

When Amtrak is short of telephone staff, telephone agents should not have to deal with simple issues such as this.

Train3414

Train Attendant
Jokingly it seems to me that airlines design their web presence to reduce call traffic to their agents. Amtrak being very innovative designs it to increase phone traffic to their agents. Go figure! :D
We flew with American over the holiday season and a simple change of flights after they changed the schedule and we wanted a different flight than the one they gave us required calling them. Their hold sequence actually includes a message telling us we should use their website.

TheCrescent

Lead Service Attendant
When my Amtrak train has been canceled, I got an email.

When my American Airlines flights have been canceled, I could re-book through the app.

After reading this thread, I checked my own circle trip reservation. The CVS-ATL portion on Crescent showed "Cancelled." I called AGR and, after researching, they told me that it was a computer glitch, that nothing had changed. I guess we all should check our future reservations regularly. We have to do that with airlines because they frequently cancel or change flights. But this problem with Amtrak seems to be due mainly to systems incompetence.

VAtrainfan

Service Attendant
When my Amtrak train has been canceled, I got an email.

When my American Airlines flights have been canceled, I could re-book through the app.

The difference is that those trips were actually canceled. Mine wasn't, it was just in limbo because of seat reclassification that the computer didn't know what to do with so it just shoved it to the side and forgot about it.

Arctifox

Train Attendant
The difference is that those trips were actually canceled. Mine wasn't, it was just in limbo because of seat reclassification that the computer didn't know what to do with so it just shoved it to the side and forgot about it.

Last year I had a "broken" reservation as well. I booked an Acela round trip at the Amtrak 50 years sale which at some point I wasn't able to open anymore at all (it showed up in "My Trips", but I couldn't open it, and using the booking reference resulted in an error). Eventually there was a minor schedule change which made the booking "work" again, but I ended up cancelling it anyway. However, the travel credit I got from the cancellation was still somehow broken and I was not able to redeem it online (unlike others I had) so I had to call in for that. It was no problem to use the credit on a phone booking and it was done very quickly.

Shanson

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Ahh, the app. We have just completed the first leg of a four-leg trip, and now the rest of the legs aren't showing. Have others experienced this as well? Sounds like a programming flaw...

Well, think I figured it out. When looking at my paper/eticket, I noticed that our AGR numbers weren't on the printout! Guess I will email them.

Last edited: