It was an Adventure

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crazy Vacationer

Train Attendant
Part One of three: I think the best title for our trip is "It was an Adventure."

Our train wasn't scheduled to leave until 11:15 pm, Saturday, June 18, which made the day really move slowly. The whole family was waiting to get going on the trip and we had to wait all day. The Empire Builder hadn't been running for a couple weeks, and we were worried that it wouldn't be running for our journey from St. Paul-Minneapolis to Glacier Park. Fortunately, it started up again on Wednesday and we were leaving Saturday. The time came to finally head to the train station. We loaded our suitcases into the minivan and arrived 15 minutes later; we live nice and close to the station. We checked our bags, got the code to the First Class Lounge, and sat down to wait. We entered the lounge at 10:00 pm to await the 10:30 arrival. I wanted to be in the lounge before the train entered the station because I wanted my 10 year old son to see it come in, especially since it is a long train.

Well the train was delayed and didn't arrive until 11:15pm, 45 minutes late. And my 10 year old? He was in the bathroom and missed the entrance. My older son, 15, commented that it just kept going and going and going. The conductor came into the lounge and collected our tickets and told us to wait for the SCAs. They came into the lounge and proceeded to check us in. We were in the Portland sleeper and were the first group to be checked in. Darryl let us know it would be just like Grammar School, and that we needed to answer when our name was called. There was a family split between levels and he was successful in getting them adjoining roomettes. He led us down the platform to our car and helped everyone in. We were in the family bedroom and when we got there the beds were already down. It was a little crowded with four bodies, 6 backpacks and the beds down, but we pretzeled our way around everything until we got settled. The room took a while to cool down, but it was nice to be horizontal. It took a while for me to get to sleep I kept wanting to look out the window. One bad thing about the family room is its proximity to the trucks, but we did enjoy being together in one room. Next time, however, I think I'll get two roomettes, upper floor, across from each other. The car was hooked up so we were traveling backward. It really didn't bother me that much, though.

We finally left MSP at 11:45 pm, 30 minutes late.

Megan was the handling all the reservations and wait lists in the dining car. She did a great job. My wife walked the 5 intervening cars to get our name on the list for breakfast. When I started to head up to do the same for lunch, Darryl stopped me and said he'd take care of it. I'm lucky I hadn't gotten too far.

The meals weren't bad and we enjoyed eating on the train. It was nice to be able to look out the windows and watch the world roll by. After breakfast, we spent a little time in our room sitting and reading. Darryl had put the room to its daytime configuration while we were at breakfast definitely a bit more room than at night. After a while, we went to the Sightseer Lounge and enjoyed the bigger windows. We sat at a table played some games before we eventually went back to our room. After lunch, we stepped downstairs to look at the Rails and Trails information they had a compass used by Lewis and Clark on their expedition. That and the other artifacts were fun to see. The boys went back to the room to watch a movie on the laptop, and my wife and I journeyed to the dining car for the Wine tasting. We enjoyed the cheeses and favored two of the four wines we're not big red wine drinkers. And, lucky for me, the trivia question I answered correctly was for a wine we liked the Gewurtzriminer. (I like Rieslings, too.) Trivia question: when President Lincoln was shot, he had five dollars in his pocket. From which country were those five dollars? Answer: Confederate States of America. I knew several other of the trivia answers, but you could only win one bottle of wine. We had an enjoyable time and sat across from a young couple from Illinois.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part Two of three: We got out to stretch our legs in Minot and Havre as well as take pictures. In Minot, we were already a couple hours down and we needed to wait for a new crew, so that put us an additional hour behind. The Havre stop was shortened, but not enough to get us back on time. The water was almost to the tracks; it was like being on a boat in the middle of the lake. I feel sorry for those who have lost so much with this flooding.

At Dinner time, we backed onto a siding so 2 freights and Empire Builder number 8 could pass us. That added more time to the delay, but we didn't have to deal with a rocking train while eating our dinner, which was a benefit. Darryl made our first sleeper journey on Amtrak enjoyable; he had a great attitude and a fun sense of humor. The food we had for our meals was good; service at breakfast and lunch was satisfactory; dinner service was much better, but we had a different attendant. When we finally arrived in East Glacier, we were about 6 hours behind; we got into our hotel room at 1:00 am. Unfortunately, due to our schedule on Monday, we were not able to enjoy the lobby and grounds of the Glacier Park Lodge.

I picked up our rental car Monday morning from Dollar Rent A Car. If you are in the Glacier area and need a car, I highly recommend these folks they were very helpful as you'll later read. Somehow I managed to fit all the suitcases and backpacks into a Chevy Malibu, and off we went. We spent our entire time in Glacier National Park, enjoying boat rides and hikes. We stayed in the Many Glacier area at the Swiftcurrent Cabins great place and I would stay there again. Wildlife seen: Black bear, grizzly bear, mountain goats, big horn sheep, moose, snowshoe hares, and ground squirrels. According to one ranger, there was twice as much snow as normal over the winter. The Going to the Sun Road was still closed; they were maybe hoping to have it open in mid-July, but they weren't sure. Both my sons did the Junior Ranger Program. We had a fantastic time and the scenery is incredible.

When we were at the St. Mary's Visitor Center, the ranger mentioned that a group of scouts got out on the last train. A few hours later, we heard again that the trains had stopped running. So, while we were at Rising Sun waiting for lunch and our cabin check in, I called Amtrak. No trains. They had been cancelled indefinitely. OK How am I going to get my family home? The two different representatives I talked to on Thursday gave no assistance and just said that Amtrak was not offering alternative transportation. They did offer me a full refund once I returned my tickets. I spent the entire afternoon trying to figure out how to get home. We needed to stick to our schedule. Our original plan was to arrive home Monday morning at 7:00 am since we would be meeting an eleven-year-old on a flight from Northern Ireland Tuesday evening. He's going to be spending the summer with us in St. Paul.

The closest car I could find for a one-way trip was in Spokane and it would have been over $600. Flights from Spokane were $250 a person, $200 less than out of Kalispell. The best thing I found was bus tickets, still $100 more than I paid for the train tickets. We decided to cut our vacation short and I canceled the last two hotel nights. Thursday evening, my wife and I packed for the bus trip. We managed to consolidate everything into the five suitcases and four backpacks. Friday morning, we got moving and drove to the East Glacier Amtrak station to return my tickets for a refund.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part Three of three: The first thing the agent at GPK told me was they were rerouting people at no extra charge. The reroute would have been to Seattle, Sacramento, Chicago, and then St. Paul; and it would have taken five days. After checking availability, the earliest we could have gotten home would have been in fifteen days. Now why couldn't the Amtrak representatives the day before have told me that they were rerouting passengers? Well – I returned the tickets for a refund, we got in the car and started driving toward Whitefish/Kalispell. On the way, as soon as we had cell service, we called the car rental folks. They were very helpful. I got detailed directions to their Columbia Falls location, they called ahead to the bus station and informed them of four passengers to St. Paul and made sure the held the bus for us. Per their instructions, I pulled up to the office, left the car running, and moved to the back seat with my ten-year-old on my lap. The owner jumped into the car and drove us to the bus station. That's what I call customer service and why I recommend them.

So we began our thirty-one hour journey on a bus from Kalispell, MT to Minneapolis, MN. Fortunately, the buses were not that crowded and we each had two seats for most of the ride. My sons were fantastic on the trip home.

My wife isn't too sure about taking Amtrak again; I'd like to give them the benefit of the doubt. My biggest complaint is the lack of assistance in finding alternate transportation.

All-in-all, our vacation was fantastic and we had a great time.

Resolution:

I talked with Amtrak Customer Relations today. I gave positive feed back for Darryl and Megan and then discussed the situation with the canceled train. Very pleasant representative on the phone.

She said she'd forward the comments appropriately and offered me a $400 voucher. I told her that was perfectly acceptable and thanked her for her time. Now - to give the Customer Service reps the same training that Customer Relations has.

Happy 4th weekend to everyone.

Tom

For me, this is an interesting read, as I was on the other end (ABQ-PDX) trying to get to WGL on those dates. I gave up, stayed in PDX! Glad to hear everything worked out!!!

The best thing I found was bus tickets, still $100 more than I paid for the train tickets.
I'm sure it doesn't make you feel any better; but I found this interesting considering all the threads claiming that Amtrak is so expensive. Especially, if you had sleeping car accommodations on the return.

Yes - I received a refund and a $400 voucher. I should see the voucher in the next week or two. We might use the voucher to cover rail fare to Chicago for a couple days, or save it for a trip to Washington, DC next spring. If we use the train for DC, we'll probably take the train out and fly home. That would give us an extra day for sightseeing.

I'm sure my bus tickets were so expensive because I wanted them right away. I had booked my rail reservations last December; I was able to get the family bedroom for $274 each way.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back