It's been a difficult summer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amfleet

Engineer
The writer is Amtrak president and CEO. The article originally appeared in the August edition of Amtrak Ink. – Ed.
By David L. Gunn

For every month since the beginning of this year, Amtrak’s ridership has been the best ever, and we are on track to serve a record 25 million passengers this year. At the same time, however, this summer has brought a number of challenges our way – especially for our long-distance trains – unprecedented freight congestion and construction, a shortage of equipment and poor on-time performance.
Full letter can be found here.

Agreed, Amfleet. glad to know he is aware of the horrendous problems and does not plan to throw in the towel. It is time we got a statement like this from him.

It's time someone at Amtrak produces a short video to be shown in the lounge cars on the long distance trains detailing these problems and Amtrak's efforts to resolve them. It would take quite a bit of pressure and anger off of Amtrak and shift it over to the freight railroads (namely Union Pacific). It would also relieve the onboard and station personnel from explaining the same thing over and over.

Mr. Gunn produced a video a few months back regarding Amtrak's new efforts and strategic five year plan. It's time for a more direct one detailing the current crisis.

(If I was a lounge attendant on a longhaul train over UP tracks I would have a bunch of comment cards available so customers could express their anger toward UP. After they filled them out they could drop them in a slot and I'd mail 'em all to UP! It might not do much to improve service, but it would let them release their anger in the right direction.)

jccollins said:
(If I was a lounge attendant on a longhaul train over UP tracks I would have a bunch of comment cards available so customers could express their anger toward UP. After they filled them out they could drop them in a slot and I'd mail 'em all to UP! It might not do much to improve service, but it would let them release their anger in the right direction.)
The comment cards would probably just wind up in the trash before any UP executive or representitive ever sees them. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back