It's looking good for summer!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tubaallen

Lead Service Attendant
Hey guys....just thought I would share my excitement with you. As most of you probably know, I've been a bit concerned with all the budget issues going on this year whether they would have me back again this year. However, over the last couple weeks, I've been in contact with the crew base supervisor and he is expecting things to work out fine! Requisitions have been turned in, and he said to expect drug test towards the end of April, and to start Mid-May!!! I'm pumped!!!

gswager said:
Good luck and I'm hoping you'll have a wonderful job, if you get one! You'll might ride on a locomotive as a reward!
Already done! :)

Great to hear, congrats, you sound like you make one up one of the sets of the finer employees, sounds like a great experience. I'm envious.

Yes, the trains I will most likely be assigned to (the Chicago crewed trains) are the Builder, Zephyr, Eagle, and Lake Shore....however, I do believe there is sometimes one Chicago employee on the Chief, so I may occasionally be on that. And then of course in the outside chance that another crew base is out of people and they desperately need someone, I may be asked to go somewhere else and work another train...but I doubt that.

Looking forward to another great summer! :)

Wishing you the best! A good sleeping car attendant can make or break a trip, especially for people who do not naturally love trains as we do on this forum.

Those of us who love trains will keep coming back no matter what. But the public in general would not put up with some rotten apples I have encountered.

Best wishes for this summer , and perhaps a career, if that is what you want.

....going for my physical on Wednesday! Looking better and better... The thing is, I've learned...I know it's not for sure, until I'm actually, physically on the train, hehe. Guess what? I have to do a student trip...kinda crazy since I just did it all last summer. I don't know.

Allen

What is involved in a "student trip"? Does that mean riding around on a couple of trains learning what it is like? If you do that, could you tell us what trains it involves? Just curious.

Bill,

Yes, I took two student trips last year (which made sense then, because I was brand new). Actually, my trips were shortened because they started us so late in the season. Normally, as a Chicago employee, you do two trips...one westward on a Superliner, and one eastward on a single-level train. Generally, you go the whole trip, and work coach one way, and sleeper the other...this way you get familiar with all kinds of equipment. You are generally just paired up with an old-timer employee, and the two of you work together...this way you can always go to them if you don't know how to handle a situation.

For me, I just worked the CZ to Omaha, and the EB to Minneapolis. I don't know what the crew base will have in mind for me this year.

Allen

And yes, I will be happy (if I remember, and am not too busy) to tell you which train I'll be student tripping on.

I had an interesting and fun experience today. I just thought you guys would appreciate it, as you would have enjoyed it too.

I walk across the tracks, actually right where the train station is here in BNL, to get from my apt. to campus (I go to ISU). Occasionally, I'll be cutting across when 21/22 is coming through. Well today it was the same. I usually like to stop by and see if I recognize any of the crew when that happens...and normally I don't recognize anyone. Today was different, I recognized two of the coach attendants. In fact, one of them asked me if I was getting on, since I was standing on the platform, and when I explained why I was there, he said "what's your name?". I told him, and he said "did I meet you in Albany?" Sure enough! He and I had swapped sleepers on my only LSL trip...when I layed over in Albany because of track work to Boston. It was just kinda fun...and I just wanted to share it.

tubaallen said:
Normally, as a Chicago employee, you do two trips...one westward on a Superliner, and one eastward on a single-level train. Generally, you go the whole trip, and work coach one way, and sleeper the other...this way you get familiar with all kinds of equipment. You are generally just paired up with an old-timer employee, and the two of you work together...this way you can always go to them if you don't know how to handle a situation..
Gee I wonder if I can get credit for having completed a training run. I know how to make the coffee in the Viewliners with the old style of coffee pots. I know how to set up my own beds, top & bottom (Superliner too). Plus for extra credit, I had to show an attendent on the Lake Shore how to unhook the safety harness from the ceiling.

She couldn't do it and after watching her fight with the strap for about two minutes, I decided to help her out. I showed her that it's much easier to unhook the strap from the ceiling, if you don't have the bed lowered to the bottom. It's much easier when the bed is at the half mast mark. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back