Jan 2016 NEC/East Blizzard (was How does Amtrak handle snowstorms?)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With regards to the blizzard, I live in Northern Virginia, NW of DC. Got somewhere between 25" to 30" of snow; hard to tell exactly how much because the wind pushed the snow into deep drifts. Nasty wind gusts yesterday and last night leading to near white out conditions as I was trying to shovel my driveway. I've seen my share of Nor'easter blizzards over decades of living in the Mid-Atlantic region and for a few years in Massachusetts. From the single data point of my driveway & house, this was possibly the most snowfall and worse blizzard I have been in. I think it dumped even more snow here than Snowmagedon in 2010.

It will likely take days for travel to get fully back to normal in the entire region.

Looks like the southbound Vermonter yesterday terminated in Philadelphia and the northbound one originated from there. Also Empire Service 250 was cancelled today

How was the ridership for Sunday?
Most of the NEC trains were cancelled. The one I was rebooked on in the evening was packed, I assume because it had all the passengers from the cancelled trains as well.

How was the ridership for Sunday?
Most of the NEC trains were cancelled. The one I was rebooked on in the evening was packed, I assume because it had all the passengers from the cancelled trains as well.
We only had two Regionals running from Boston to DC yesterday, and I know the first one was nearing sold out by the time it got to Providence, and almost the entire trip down the corridor.

I don't work for operations, I'm part of onboard service, so I generally don't pay much attention to train length. 163 was the normal arrangement I believe... 1 Business Class, 1 Quiet Car, 1 Coach, 1 Cafe, and then 4 coaches. I was surprised they didn't add an extra coach. 135 was the only other train I boarded, and they were only going to Philly, and I didn't see the passenger load, nor did I even glance at how many coaches.

One ACS64 on both of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Overall it looks like Amtrak handled WS Jonas MUCH better than NJT or the LIRR!
Because Amtrak is interstate (so it doesn't have to answer to a governor) and the only reason they suspend service is because it's unsafe or impossible to provide service, not to encourage people to stay home.

La Crosse singers foil monster storm to perform in Carnegie Hall

http://lacrossetribune.com/news/local/la-crosse-singers-foil-monster-storm-to-perform-in-carnegie/article_e59d2c51-9a65-582e-90a5-aad4d8264406.html

Five members canceled because of the delay, but another chorale member checked the Amtrak schedule out of Chicago and determined that a train would leave for New York City at 9:35 p.m. So the others flew to Chicago, hopped the subway to Union Station and caught Amtrak’s Lake Shore Limited for a 21-hour train ride to the Empire State, Rusterholz said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back