Japan train rescue saves woman who fell into gap

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DET63

Conductor
TOKYO (AP) - Dozens of Japanese train passengers pushed a 32-ton train carriage away from the platform to free a woman who had fallen into the eight-inch gap between the train and platform during the busy morning rush hour Monday.
The act of heroism was captured by a newspaper photographer, whose photo of the rescue ran in the Yomiuri daily's evening edition.

After just an eight-minute delay, the train went on its way.

Read more

TOKYO (AP) - Dozens of Japanese train passengers pushed a 32-ton train carriage away from the platform to free a woman who had fallen into the eight-inch gap between the train and platform during the busy morning rush hour Monday.
The act of heroism was captured by a newspaper photographer, whose photo of the rescue ran in the Yomiuri daily's evening edition.

After just an eight-minute delay, the train went on its way.

Read more
Excellent and notice the "after an 8 Minute Delay" Part, woulda been more like 8 Hours here! ;)

That 8 minute delay results in hundreds of employees handing out "late slips" for commuters to take to their boss, excusing their absence! (Scroll half way down to "Delay Certificates")

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I'm not seeing this detail, but were passengers still on the train being "rocked" to the side?

I'd be a little nervous to be on board, plus you'd have to think that the train would be much lighter

if passengers detrained. But it's hard to see you you clear out an entire train, do the rescue, and

get everybody back on in the span of just eight minutes. Either way, pretty amazing!

Eight inches seems like a pretty big gap. I don't think I've ever walked over a platform gap that was so easy to fall through. Did they have a misalignment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back