Joliet to St. Louis questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MetraUPWest

Service Attendant
I'm looking to take a trip to Six Flags St. Louis sometime in April. Since I have never ridden the Lincoln Service before, or any other HSR, I think it would be an awesome experience to take it down there as opposed to driving.

I only live about 18 minutes from Joliet, so that part is easy. Does anyone know if it's possible to get from the STL terminal to Six Flags pretty easily? I would be open to renting a car, but if there are other forms of public transportation to get me to the park and a hotel that would be ideal.

I would really like to check out the City Museum as well. I've never been to STL at all, so I really have no idea of their transportation system, or even if this trip would even be feasible. I can just drive there in about 4.5 hours, but the train would be much more fun!

City Museum is easy, you can walk there no problem from the Amtrak station. It's only a few blocks, and great if you've got small kids in tow. If you are bringing small kids, I recommend you invest in a homing beacon and associated tracking device, or you will loose them in all the nooks and grannies and crawlspaces they have access to but you don't. Or you could invest in some knee pads (they actually sell them there) so you can follow them around on hands and knees. So, yes taking Lincoln Service for a City Museum trip is a great idea in my opinion.

Unfortunately, not so much for going to Six Flags. The light rail doesn't go there, so you're limited to bus or rental car. The bus takes about 90 minutes each way plus wait time to board. Car takes about 30 minutes plus time to walk to the rental agency, pick it up, turn it in. If time in the park is your priority, I think in this situation you're better off driving in from Joliet.

There is a Drury Inn near the station that we have stayed at and is really great. It has a railroad theme and many of the rooms have rail views.

City Museum is within walking distance, althought it is probably close to a mile. City Museum is awesome but does get crowded. Try to get there when it opens.

Six Flags, I think a rental car is your only real option, it is a pretty good ways out of town. That being said, I find Six Flags Great America up in Gurnee near you to be far superior to the St. Louis one. I would recommend other options like GrantsFarm, or the Zoo / Science Center. Both of which are more in the city and a little easier to get to (although Grants Farm may not be much easier).

The train trip is great, but keep in mind the "HSR" part is only about 30 miles between Pontiac and Dwight. Most of the remainder of the trip is 80 MPH, but the section between Alton and St. Louis can be a bit of a crawl.

HSR will only be certain trains between the mentioned location. Work continues to be done to expand the ability to run faster along the whole route. I agree that between Alton and St Louis the ride crawls - when and if this gets resolved - plans are supposedly underway - it should cut a bit of time off the trip. Similar issues exist when leaving or arriving into Chicago.

Everyone always seems to never mention the Sheraton Hotel St Louis right next to the Amtrak station and right across the street from MetroLink - which is also easily accessed from Amtrak station. Cabs are easily located at the front of the station. It is rare not to have several queued up waiting for passengers.

Keep in mind when taking a late evening train from Joliet Union Station - that the Amtrak waiting area will be closed. This can cause serious issues with passengers in regards to comfort and safety. I've had some every mixed experiences at that station. In 2011 outside work was done to refurbish passenger waiting area by tracks - no one bothered to put overhead protection. So passengers are still exposed to weather when boarding or de-boarding. Bathroom options in Joliet station are deplorable.

At some point a new station should get built in Joliet - I don't think work has started - but plans have been discussed for several years now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back