Jose Cuervo Tequila Train - Guadalajara, Mexico

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaseMeBro

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Just returned from doing a Saturday trip on the "Tequila Train", in Guadalajara, Mexico, run by Jose Cuervo. (Official site here: Travel in a Real Train with Jose Cuervo Express | Mundo Cuervo)

It's a day excursion which includes about 2.5 hours on the train, followed by spending the day in the town of Tequila (Jalisco State), with presentations on Tequila, a guided tour of the distillery, as well as time to explore (shop, eat, etc) on your own.

I went with two friends, and we booked into "Diamante" class - the second highest from the "top" offering of four available classes.

There are two possible schedules. You can take the "Sunrise" scheduled, which has a 9am train departure, day of activities, then a return on a tour bus in the evening. You can also take the "Sunset" schedule, where you head out on the tour bus, have your day of activities, and return on the train. We did the sunrise.

To keep this post from getting super long, I'll stick mostly to the train portion of the day, but have lots of other pictures and general trip info I can share.

We flew in to Guadalajara Friday evenining, in preparation for a Saturday morning "Sunrise" trip. (I believe the train only operates on Saturdays).

Saturday morning we had an early breakfast, then walked to the train station, about a mile from our hotel, to depart.

The train departs from an old Ferromex station, where the passenger terminal has been cleaned and somewhat dressed up to serve this train. While there is freight handled at the same location, you won't really see it when you arrive, and the passenger terminal, as far as I know, handles only the Tequila Train.

On arrival, they have coffee and light snacks available complementary, and vendors were also nearby selling other food items. While there are a few seats available, the departure "hall" isn't really what you'd call a lounge space.

You'll check in, based on what car you'll be riding in (e.g. what class of service). This, I thought, was an area where some improvement could be needed. They had one desk for each of 9 passenger cars, and you had to get in the correct line. However, the desks were only marked by 8x11 stand up signs, which you couldn't really see once lines of any sort formed around the desk. We figured this out after waiting in the wrong line for several minutes, til we got close enough to actually see the signs. However, once that was taken care of, check in went smoothly. They'll check your ID against the list, and give you a wrist band with your designed car and seat.

There's a very cursory security check (walking through a metal detector), and then you go out to the platform to board. Check in closes at 8:45, for a 9am departure. We were out on the platform maybe 8:30, and boarding opened a few minutes after, so we boarded about 15 minutes or so before departure. Our "Diamante" car had a mix of 4-place tables, 2 place tables, and sofa type seating, all with assigned spots. I was with two friends, and they put our group of 3 at a 4 place table. The tables are fixed in place, the chairs (which were pretty plush) were not. During the trip, they ask you not move between cars, so I'm afraid I didn't get to see or take pictures of the other classes of service.

A light breakfast (yogurt, fresh melon and berries, mint, and granola) was waiting at each seat upon boarding. Obviously, Tequila (the drink and the town) is a major part of the experience, so I'll make another comment below about how that tasting and general experience went.

Language could have perhaps been better managed. They don't ask during booking if you prefer English or Spanish. I'd say about 80% of our car was Spanish speaking, the rest English. From observation, it seems like most English speaking passengers chose either our class of car, or the top one/one higher. Though they didn't ask during booking, it's obvious they're trying to figure it out ahead - perhaps by looking at home address, or simply your name, as we were all designed "English" on our wristbands.

The staff at check in was largely Spanish only. I translated for our group, but they also had a "roaming" bilingual staff member at the check in desks to translate as needed.

On board, the "guides" were nominally bilingual. As a practical matter, though, most of their information and presentation time was devoted to Spanish (which makes sense, given the majority of passengers spoke Spanish), and the English, when used, was imperfect. I did a lot of translating for my friends, as well as a few others. That said, it didn't detract from the experience (IMHO), and after a bit of Tequila, everyone's conversation became more... lubricated.

The 2.5 hour train trip only takes you about 30 miles outside of town, from the city of Guadalajara to the town of Tequila. The first 30 or so minutes of the trip you're passing pretty gritty urban areas, but that gives way to suburbs, then rural fields. The train cars were very clean, and each had two pretty spacious and well-functioning restrooms.

You'll arrive to a very simple stop on the edge of Tequila (the town), where buses and vans are waiting to take you on a very quick 5 minute trip to the distillery and tourist town.

Here are some pictures, and I'll share more about the rest of the non-train aspects of the trip in a later comment.

Attachments

• PXL_20231021_144040176.jpg
    PXL_20231021_144040176.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231021_144002014.jpg
    PXL_20231021_144002014.jpg
    262 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231021_143754686.jpg
    PXL_20231021_143754686.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231021_143330720.jpg
    PXL_20231021_143330720.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231021_143226176.jpg
    PXL_20231021_143226176.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231021_143059424.jpg
    PXL_20231021_143059424.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231021_143055772.jpg
    PXL_20231021_143055772.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm still planning to put together a comment for this thread on the general experience (pros and cons both), along with some more photos, but that will take a bit.

In the mean time, some general travel advice for anyone else considering taking the trip will be in this comment.

We booked about 6 weeks ago (not long after I posted on here asking if anyone had any advice). As a group of three, we chose the Diamond/Diamante car because it offered a seating layout (four place tables) which were conducive to a group of 3. The "Elite" car, while a bit more luxurious, was mostly sofa and communal seating, and we wanted to stay more or less in our group mostly due to language concerns. The "express" and "premium plus" cars were also options, with seating closer to a traditional train - two by two seats, facing one another, with tables between.

The price difference though, wasn't much, and our tickets were about $250 per person for the Diamante car. Worth mentioning everything was billed in MXN, so I'd suggest using a card without a conversion fee. I'm sure it varies over the year, but I'd suggest booking at least six weeks out to get availability of cars/classes. Note that you don't get to select your own seat - you'll be notified of that in a confirmation email about a week ahead, but they'll seat you together with others on your booking. If you booked separately from others you'll be travelling with, it seems like you can email in advance to request to be seated together.

When you book, you'll receive a receipt fairly quickly by email. Then, about a week out, you'll receive an actual confirmation with your seat assignments and "reporting instructions", including the address of both the departure train station, and where the bus will return you. More on this later in the comment.

The weather for our trip was nice - we had a few sprinkles of rain during the afternoon portion, but not much. You will be walking and spending time outside, so consider that if you're booking during a warmer month.

Arrival at GDL was fine. My flight ran about 40 minutes late on departure, and we had a bus gate, so didn't actually reach the terminal until about an hour later than planned. Immigration was busy, but fast moving and took only maybe 10 or 15 minutes.

Customs had a line which was so astonishingly long it was almost hard to contemplate. It wound in multiple loops around the combined customs/baggage claim hall, snaking around literally every carousel and lining all the walls. While the line was moving fast, it was still quite a thing. I don't know if that was business as usual, or due to some unusual factor like a staff shortage or sudden convergeance of arriving flights.

Once clearing that, you'll be in the landside arrivals area. You can get a taxi, either at the curb or by prepaying at one of the official taxi desks. I asked there, and was told there was a half hour wait for a cab.

Instead, we got an Uber, which only took a few minutes, with pickup at a traffic circle just a couple minutes walk from the airport. If you haven't used Ubers in Mexico before, consider your car request. Wanting to start the trip "nice", I requested an Uber Black SUV. In the US, that'd mean something like an Escalade, Navigator, or Mercedes GLS. Here, it was a Kia Sorrento. Note that it was also much cheaper than the US, so I suppose it balances out. For other Uber rides during the trip, I requested an Uber Comfort, which is generally a midsize sedan or small crossover in the US, and got Nissan Versas each time - but, again, very inexpensive.

After booking the train, I emailed to ask if they had hotel recommendations, or hotels they partnered with. They replied simply that they did not. That kind of surprised me. So, I asked for the address of the departure railroad station (note that this information was supplied again, in the confirmation email later - but I asked early so I could book a hotel).

The departure was from the station in the historic downtown. I looked on my usual hotels site, saw a *ton* of hotels in that area. Most were independant, and priced budget to mid range. I booked at the Best Western Gran Centro Historico, which was reasonably priced, had solid reviews, and looked like a modern, 10 story building.

The hotel was basic, but clean. Service was good, with a decent coffee shop on the lobby level and a nice little rooftop pool. Some things were done to a standard which might be less than you're used to, depending on your travel experience. For instance, hotel doors in the US tend to be heavy, solid, fire rated doors - even in modest hotels. Here, the doors were lightweight, hollow core, interior doors. The locks (electronic proximity locks) seemed like very cheap offshore models. After joking about them with my friends, we found a video on youtube about how to very simply bypass them.

Also, one of our rooms had a beeping fire alarm. Not wanting to deal with a room change after our midnight arrival, I took a look - it was a simple, $10, battery operated smoke alarm - not linked or wired to any type of central fire alarm system, with no other sounders, sirens, or detectors in the room.

After arriving, we dropped our bags and wanted to head out quickly to grab a bite to eat. Walking out the front of the hotel, about midnight, we turned right, and the bellman quickly came outside to stop us. "Don't go to the right - maybe left is okay, but not right". We went to the left, walked for about five minutes, and my two friends decided they wanted to return back to the hotel after a few questionable encounters. After walking them back, I went out again to an Oxxo (convenience store), and bought some snacks and water - but through a small hatch in the security door since the store itself was locked and not allowing people in.

In retrospect, I would not have booked near the train station if I had it to do over. At the end of the trip, the tour bus returns you to a Jose Cuervo campus of some sort, back in the city of Guadalajara. This was about a 30 minute ride back to our hotel. I'd book near the *bus return* location, which was in a newer, cleaner, and seemingly safter part of town. I'd do the 30 minute ride *to* the train station the morning of departure instead.

Departure Sunday afternoon was uneventful. After breakfast we took about a 30 minute ride to the airport. While your driver will likely suggest it, ask to be dropped off at the traffic circle with the flag pole just outside the terminal area. Walking the last bit is much faster than trying to navigate the scrum of the airport circle in a taxi.

Check in was quick, security impressively polite and fast, and the airport itself is pretty nice inside, with lounges, restaurants, and duty free for any more last minute tequila "needs".

EDIT: Photos below from hotel.

Attachments

• PXL_20231021_053713625.jpg
    PXL_20231021_053713625.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231021_125748883.jpg
    PXL_20231021_125748883.jpg
    275.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231021_125752882.jpg
    PXL_20231021_125752882.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm still planning to put together a comment for this thread on the general experience (pros and cons both), along with some more photos, but that will take a bit.

In the mean time, some general travel advice for anyone else considering taking the trip will be in this comment.

We booked about 6 weeks ago (not long after I posted on here asking if anyone had any advice). As a group of three, we chose the Diamond/Diamante car because it offered a seating layout (four place tables) which were conducive to a group of 3. The "Elite" car, while a bit more luxurious, was mostly sofa and communal seating, and we wanted to stay more or less in our group mostly due to language concerns. The "express" and "premium plus" cars were also options, with seating closer to a traditional train - two by two seats, facing one another, with tables between.

The price difference though, wasn't much, and our tickets were about $250 per person for the Diamante car. Worth mentioning everything was billed in MXN, so I'd suggest using a card without a conversion fee. I'm sure it varies over the year, but I'd suggest booking at least six weeks out to get availability of cars/classes. Note that you don't get to select your own seat - you'll be notified of that in a confirmation email about a week ahead, but they'll seat you together with others on your booking. If you booked separately from others you'll be travelling with, it seems like you can email in advance to request to be seated together.

When you book, you'll receive a receipt fairly quickly by email. Then, about a week out, you'll receive an actual confirmation with your seat assignments and "reporting instructions", including the address of both the departure train station, and where the bus will return you. More on this later in the comment.

The weather for our trip was nice - we had a few sprinkles of rain during the afternoon portion, but not much. You will be walking and spending time outside, so consider that if you're booking during a warmer month.

Arrival at GDL was fine. My flight ran about 40 minutes late on departure, and we had a bus gate, so didn't actually reach the terminal until about an hour later than planned. Immigration was busy, but fast moving and took only maybe 10 or 15 minutes.

Customs had a line which was so astonishingly long it was almost hard to contemplate. It wound in multiple loops around the combined customs/baggage claim hall, snaking around literally every carousel and lining all the walls. While the line was moving fast, it was still quite a thing. I don't know if that was business as usual, or due to some unusual factor like a staff shortage or sudden convergeance of arriving flights.

Once clearing that, you'll be in the landside arrivals area. You can get a taxi, either at the curb or by prepaying at one of the official taxi desks. I asked there, and was told there was a half hour wait for a cab.

Instead, we got an Uber, which only took a few minutes, with pickup at a traffic circle just a couple minutes walk from the airport. If you haven't used Ubers in Mexico before, consider your car request. Wanting to start the trip "nice", I requested an Uber Black SUV. In the US, that'd mean something like an Escalade, Navigator, or Mercedes GLS. Here, it was a Kia Sorrento. Note that it was also much cheaper than the US, so I suppose it balances out. For other Uber rides during the trip, I requested an Uber Comfort, which is generally a midsize sedan or small crossover in the US, and got Nissan Versas each time - but, again, very inexpensive.

After booking the train, I emailed to ask if they had hotel recommendations, or hotels they partnered with. They replied simply that they did not. That kind of surprised me. So, I asked for the address of the departure railroad station (note that this information was supplied again, in the confirmation email later - but I asked early so I could book a hotel).

The departure was from the station in the historic downtown. I looked on my usual hotels site, saw a *ton* of hotels in that area. Most were independant, and priced budget to mid range. I booked at the Best Western Gran Centro Historico, which was reasonably priced, had solid reviews, and looked like a modern, 10 story building.

The hotel was basic, but clean. Service was good, with a decent coffee shop on the lobby level and a nice little rooftop pool. Some things were done to a standard which might be less than you're used to, depending on your travel experience. For instance, hotel doors in the US tend to be heavy, solid, fire rated doors - even in modest hotels. Here, the doors were lightweight, hollow core, interior doors. The locks (electronic proximity locks) seemed like very cheap offshore models. After joking about them with my friends, we found a video on youtube about how to very simply bypass them.

Also, one of our rooms had a beeping fire alarm. Not wanting to deal with a room change after our midnight arrival, I took a look - it was a simple, $10, battery operated smoke alarm - not linked or wired to any type of central fire alarm system, with no other sounders, sirens, or detectors in the room.

After arriving, we dropped our bags and wanted to head out quickly to grab a bite to eat. Walking out the front of the hotel, about midnight, we turned right, and the bellman quickly came outside to stop us. "Don't go to the right - maybe left is okay, but not right". We went to the left, walked for about five minutes, and my two friends decided they wanted to return back to the hotel after a few questionable encounters. After walking them back, I went out again to an Oxxo (convenience store), and bought some snacks and water - but through a small hatch in the security door since the store itself was locked and not allowing people in.

In retrospect, I would not have booked near the train station if I had it to do over. At the end of the trip, the tour bus returns you to a Jose Cuervo campus of some sort, back in the city of Guadalajara. This was about a 30 minute ride back to our hotel. I'd book near the *bus return* location, which was in a newer, cleaner, and seemingly safter part of town. I'd do the 30 minute ride *to* the train station the morning of departure instead.

Departure Sunday afternoon was uneventful. After breakfast we took about a 30 minute ride to the airport. While your driver will likely suggest it, ask to be dropped off at the traffic circle with the flag pole just outside the terminal area. Walking the last bit is much faster than trying to navigate the scrum of the airport circle in a taxi.

Check in was quick, security impressively polite and fast, and the airport itself is pretty nice inside, with lounges, restaurants, and duty free for any more last minute tequila "needs".

EDIT: Photos below from hotel.
Really nice Day Trip, thanks for sharing.😎

I made this trip years ago ( circa 2010)and am surprised @ what it now Costs, since it was only about $4,500 Pesos when I took it, but of course there were no Delujo Tourist Class Cars, just Coaches, and you paid for all your Food and Drink from Vendors that worked the Train.

Also, your suggestion to avoid staying in the Train Station area is a good one, as Guadalajara has become extremely dangerous,especially @ night.

Really nice Day Trip, thanks for sharing.😎

I made this trip years ago ( circa 2010)and am surprised @ what it now Costs, since it was only about $4,500 Pesos when I took it, but of course there were no Delujo Tourist Class Cars, just Coaches, and you paid for all your Food and Drink from Vendors that worked the Train.

Also, your suggestion to avoid staying in the Train Station area is a good one, as Guadalajara has become extremely dangerous,especially @ night.
It was indeed a good way to spend a day/weekend trip.

Did you mean 4,500 MXN Pesos? I ask because that's about $246 USD today, which is right on the dot for what we paid, per person, for the "Diamond" class car, with the simpler cars running even less.

It was indeed a good way to spend a day/weekend trip.

Did you mean 4,500 MXN Pesos? I ask because that's about $246 USD today, which is right on the dot for what we paid, per person, for the "Diamond" class car, with the simpler cars running even less.
The Peso was 90 something to the US Dollar, so it was only about $50 USD Return when I took this Trip!

The Peso was 90 something to the US Dollar, so it was only about $50 USD Return when I took this Trip!
Ah, gotcha. In my head, I was thinking that 2010 was long after the revaluation of the peso (which I just checked happened in '94). I didn't consider how much the exchange rate had shifted, even absent a revaluation.

For whatever it may be worth, the basic class, "Express", which now includes food and drink seems to go for about $190. So even with the additional inclusions, it's certainly outpaced inflation.

Still selling out weeks in advance, though, so it looks like the price they've set is proving viable.

@jiml Thanks very much for sharing that. I like DownieLive's style (it was one of his videos that turned me on to doing the Rockies to Red Rocks as well).

He did the "sunset" trip - which starts with the tour bus, and ends with the train. I kind of suspect he did so because they book up later, and tend to have more availability. IMHO, it's definitely preferable to do the "Sunrise", and start with the train.

For starters, you avoid that rush hour traffic crush he mentions. When you start with the train, you settle down into a nice comfortable seat, and start your trip enjoying the train and relaxing. Not on a bus in traffic. By the end of the day, you're tired and a little tipsy, and the bus ride back in the dark is a nice conclusion/wind down.

The schedule and flow of starting with the train, also, I think are much better - you get most of the guided activities early in the day to enjoy them, then can wander the town and get lunch.

Also, by the time you get to the agave fields, with the music and dancing, everyone is "pre lubricated", vs arriving to dances in the morning.

He went in the "Elite" car, which is one notch above "Diamante" which I took. I think if you were a couple/with one friend, the Elite is a nicer choice. In a bigger group, the Diamante car had better seating options.

He also highlights the same thing I experienced. Even if your reservation is marked "English", you still will benefit from speaking some Spanish, as many of the events/classes/toasts are conducted in Spanish.

It's defintely a great time, though.

Back