July 12-13: Chicago to New Orleans

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had Lala on my last trip to NOLA, she is incredible, always fetching things for passengers - the Trans-dorm isn't even her primary responsibility! As I recall she even kept the coffee going longer than the penny pinching accountants desire!
Yes! She had coffee and juice available all day, and she even came around in the morning to let us know when she'd made a fresh pot. :)

Great report Sarah. Our two trips to NOL were in April (birthdays for us) and October (our anniversary). Jim is correct, best time to go. Smaller crowds and much better weather than summer. No waiting on streetcars or restaurants.

Yes, do the riverboat cruises, Garden District walking tours with cemeteries, and plantation tours.

Really liked the hotel you stayed in. Will have to try that one on our next trip (which I hope will be soon, We Love NOL. :p

What a great trip report and the pictures are great. My Fiance and I are doing this trip in late August and it will be our third time. We Love taking the train and also Love going to New Orleans. Thanks for the great trip report.

Too bad about your fall, but what a nice lady to come over and help you (and yell at those terrible boys!)

Love the story about the PB&J happy hour!

PB&J happy hour was awesome!

It made me happy to see a bunch of adults sitting around with PB&J sandwiches and little bottles of milk, like we were all in kindergarten again. :)

Another great report that makes me want to go back to NOL again!

It's late and I don't have my "eyes" in, so I can't see well enough to know what kind of tree it is that has all the Spanish moss hanging in it. The small pink ones are crape myrtles. They're beautiful this time of year. I think I saw some banana trees in one of your photos, too.

I'm sorry about your tumble and so glad you weren't injured much. The boys should have known better than to act like that.

My wife and I have a trip coming up to New Orleans and your report and the included pictures have me looking forward to it even more. Thanks for taking the time and the effort on the report.

Wow what a great trip report. I *really* want to go visit New Orleans and this trip report was just another reason... Seems like such a nice and friendly place to visit...

I love your travel journal Sarah! I'm taking both the Crescent and City of New Orleans in a few months and your reports were amazing for providing information (and being fun to read)!

I love your travel journal Sarah! I'm taking both the Crescent and City of New Orleans in a few months and your reports were amazing for providing information (and being fun to read)!
Thanks!

I had a wonderful crew on both trains. I hope you get the same crews. :)

Ok, you convinced me to return to New Orleans. We drove there 11 years ago and you convinced it's time to return the visit by rail in March.

I have learned a lot from all the helpful tips/advice and a few other things on this forum. Plus, I have enough points for a roomette both ways from Minneapolis/St. Paul. :)

Another great report that makes me want to go back to NOL again!

It's late and I don't have my "eyes" in, so I can't see well enough to know what kind of tree it is that has all the Spanish moss hanging in it. The small pink ones are crape myrtles. They're beautiful this time of year. I think I saw some banana trees in one of your photos, too.

I'm sorry about your tumble and so glad you weren't injured much. The boys should have known better than to act like that.
I know it's been forever, but you actually answered my question. :)

I thought the Spanish moss was part of the tree, not a separate thing that grows on the tree. My friends just went to New Orleans and talked about it extensively. Their swamp boat guide told them that Spanish moss only grows in areas where the air quality is good, so if you see a lot of it, that means you're in a decent area (as far as pollution is concerned). I also learned that it tends to grow on Southern Live Oaks and Bald Cypress trees.

Anyway, I love the Spanish moss. It's always represented the deep south to me. I hadn't been that far south since our trip to Florida when I was 13, so it was a true joy to see the Spanish moss and swamps again.

Sarah, when you return to New Orleans, what is the minimum number of days you would stay next time?
Three full days.

If I arrived early enough the first day and left late enough the last day, two full days might be enough, but I doubt it. There are a lot of things I want to see. :)

Thought it might be and a good pointer.

Took a look at the Le Pavillon Hotel for next September or October, no rooms available only a few suites and that included November too, that's one very popular hotel to be booked this far out.

I'm sorry about your experience, George. I had such a lovely stay, and my (queen bed) room was in tip-top shape. It's really too bad the suite wasn't in great condition, especially considering how much they cost.

Yes, very popular, with great reviews. Those are the reasons I booked it.

As my review on TripAdvisor says, it's a great place, with great food and services.

I just wish that the furniture had not been threadbare and worn.

However, having said that, the staff in the dining room told me that under new ownership, there is a plan to spend $10,000 per room to rehab the place. That would be great. $10K would buy new desks, chairs, tables and bathroom fixtures - in a heartbeat. Those refurbs would make it a first class hotel.

I really hope they stick with the period decor, though. :)

I didn't get a chance to eat in the dining room. Maybe next time. I really loved that PB&J nighttime snack, though. That was so much fun. I never thought I'd see so many adults sitting around eating PB&J and drinking milk. It was like we were all in kindergarten again.

I agree, Sarah. It's one of those "one-of" places. I've searched through all the review sites for great "New Orleans-ey" places, and Le Pavillon always comes up high on the list. That's one of the reasons I was disappointed with some of the things I experienced:

IMG_4940.jpg

IMG_4943.jpg

If this were a Motel 6 or a Holiday Inn, you'd never go back, would you?

The period decor is a HUGE selling point, and it works.

If this place is refurbished, with furniture and appointments that are up to snuff, it would be absolutely spectacular. I loved the period decor, as did Mrs. George. It was the best. The paintings, the carpets, the curtains were wonderful.

And, Sarah, you're right. The PB&J buffet is one of those truly special things that makes Le Pavillon a place you want to go back to. That, and the wonderful service and dining.

Fix the furniture, and spiffy up the service and you'll have a wonderful place. Five Stars.

Back