Just found you, hello

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello from northern California. I just found this site yesterday and already got very helpful information - the National Car Rental place in Flagstaff - great tip - that guy will meet you with the car at 5AM, and the tips about taking a bit of tape for things that jiggle and several more I wrote down but can't remember now. Thanks to all - this is very helpful to me.

In the next few days I will book a ticket for a trip from Petaluma, California to Flagstaff, Az. This involves several AMTRAK buses and the San Joaquin train and the Southwest Chief. I will be aboard the SWC from about 6PM to 5AM. Would you pay the extra for a sleeper or get a coach seat downstairs or just a regular coach seat upstairs? Pros and cons would be great. . Thanks, again, glow

Welcome glow!

Personally, I would just go coach, unless a bed to sleep horizontal is that important to you. Although a sleeper includes meals, since you're leaving the train well before breakfast, the only meal you would get is dinner the night before. And on the return, the only meal would be breakfast, but due to the arrival time in LA, I think they stop serving at something like 7 AM or before!

FYI - the cost of a "lower level seat" and an "upper level seat" is the same! In fact, you can choose where to sit when you board.

Would you pay the extra for a sleeper or get a coach seat downstairs or just a regular coach seat upstairs? Pros and cons would be great. . Thanks, again, glow
As the_traveler said, the decision to book a sleeper is based on personal preference, but purely on a cost/benefit ratio, booking it for a single traveler with only one meal doesn't sound like a good way to spend money.

As for the upper/lower seat, I would definitely recommend the upper seat unless you have accessibility needs and climbing the stairs would be difficult. The scenery is much better from 15' above ground than from 5' above ground. Also, the doors between cars (e.g. your coach and the lounge and dining cars) are on the upper level, so sitting up there makes it more convenient to move between your seat and those cars.

Back