Just wondering

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael061282

Lead Service Attendant
I was looking at some on my old National Timetables from Amtrak from the 80s or early 90s and I saw a small unnamed train that only seemed to run between Schenectady, NY and Albany-Rensselaer. It got me wondering if that was Amtrak's short ever regularly scheduled revenue train, distance wise. I have no idea what the purpose of that train was. It only lasted 2 or 3 years from what I could tell.

I was looking at some on my old National Timetables from Amtrak from the 80s or early 90s and I saw a small unnamed train that only seemed to run between Schenectady, NY and Albany-Rensselaer. It got me wondering if that was Amtrak's short ever regularly scheduled revenue train, distance wise. I have no idea what the purpose of that train was. It only lasted 2 or 3 years from what I could tell.
Just guessing but I think that was an equipment positioning train~ they moved a train back to Albany and thought they might pick up a few pax on the way.

Just guessing but I think that was an equipment positioning train~ they moved a train back to Albany and thought they might pick up a few pax on the way.
I've found the train on the October 29, 1989 timetable. I think you're right that Amtrak just didn't want to layover equipment in Schenectady. The morning ALB-SDY run would get there just in time to be turned into the Electric City Express; the evening SDY-ALB run would be the just-arrived Hudson Highlander returning (and becoming said ALB-SDY train in the morning). When did Amtrak cease terminating trains at SDY?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back