Kansas City Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wcswingdance

Train Attendant
I am traveling from Chicago to KCY on the Southwest Chief in a few weeks. My final destination is a hotel by the airport. Does anyone know the best way to get out to the airport area? Are there taxis at the amtrak station? It looks like it is quite a distant out to the airport. Thanks for any information.

I am traveling from Chicago to KCY on the Southwest Chief in a few weeks. My final destination is a hotel by the airport. Does anyone know the best way to get out to the airport area? Are there taxis at the amtrak station? It looks like it is quite a distant out to the airport. Thanks for any information.
If you don't have a lot of luggage, there's a Rapid Transit bus line that stops right in front of Union Station and runs to downtown, where you can transfer to another bus serving the airport. You'll save lots of money compared with a cab because the airport is indeed a long way from the station. It's north of the Missouri River.

The public transit system in KC is pretty limited, especially after 6PM. Guest's sugguestion of taking the bus would work if you were arriving on a Weekday via the Eastbound SWC or the early MORR (Train #311)

However, if you are coming to KC on the Westbound SWC, on the late MORR (Train #313) or on any train on a weekend, the bus won't work for you.

The last bus to the airport (Bus 129 - I-29 Express) departs downtown at 6:02PM.

Since you stated you are arriving on the westbound SWC, a Taxi is going to be your best (and likely only) option. Generally, there are several taxis waiting for passengers in front of Union Station when the SWC arrives.... on the rare occasion that there are none, a quick walk to the opposite corner of Pershing and Main will take you to the Westin, where you would have no trouble getting a cab.

I took a cab from Amtrak KCY to the airport last year. The fare was about $50 plus tip. If your hotel has a free shuttle to and from the airport, another option is the Supershuttle van from the Westin hotel. That runs $17 per person. Take it to the airport, then get your hotel's shuttle the rest of the way.

i will echo the super shuttle option. do not waste all that money on a cab. also, probably wouldn't hurt to call your hotel and ask them if they have a free shuttle that would pick you up downtown somewhere.

Thanks everyone. Looks like you have saved me some money. I will check into the Super Shuttle for sure!

Thanks everyone. Looks like you have saved me some money. I will check into the Super Shuttle for sure!
We went to KCY from ABQ on the chief last week. Westin is a short walk mostly inside. If there are two or more of you, reconsider the taxi. After spending a day in the city, we took a cab to our airport hotel from the steamboat museum downtown. Sure it was more expensive than the shuttle ($34 for 2) at about $40 but there was no wait for the shuttle, no stopping at multiple hotels and no need to get from the airport to the hotel - all while schlepping luggage.

Oh! Get this. The "skylink" - enclosed walkway that goes from station to Westin to stores to Hyatt - is closed at the station so you have to walk outside then enter it to get to Westin. They're apparently putting an IRS office on second floor of the station and Americans are not trusted by their government to approach government facilities.

Thanks everyone for your help. I have returned from my trip to Kansas City. Turns out the Super Shuttle picks up at the Amtrak station if you call ahead and schedule. It was waiting for me when I arrived and took me to the airport where I met some friends. We then took the hotel shuttle. Worked out great!

For my return trip, I used a transportation company the hotel uses and it was only $40 in a nice town car. I didn't want to make the extra trip to the airport since it was so early in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back