Kansas City Union Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortline

Conductor
I have some business in KC next week, flying in, renting a car, dropping the car back at the airport, then cabbing over to KCUS to catch the Southwest Chief to LAX for another meeting later in the week, used to go into KC regularly, but that was 20+ years ago, when the station was essentially gutted with an inflatable dome inside for the station. I know it's now been restored, and am familiar with the surrounding area (usually hit Jack Stacks across the tracks when in town...) but not familiar with the station anymore-

Is there a restaurant, or bar in the station now open until the WB Chief departure? Would like to get dropped off early and have a few beverages before boarding and heading to bed. if not is there a lounge area to drop bags (not checking, just carry on, since I have plenty of space, everything else was booked, so I'm solo in the Family Bedroom) like Chicago so I can walk to a bar or resteraunt? Any good dining in the station like Trax in LA?

First time on the Chief, anything special to look out for along the trip? Thanks all,

This was on our itinery for the gathering in St. Louis a few years back. The station is very grand. We had a meal at a restaurant in the main lobby area, I believe one of the "Harvey House" restaurants there was being restored also. Sorry I can't say whether there is a bar or restaurant open in the evening... maybe google it if no one else can help.

Ed :cool:

I spent some time at the Pierponts bar waiting for the westbound Southwest Chief. Ended up cutting my departure a little close thanks to a wide selection of liquors. Also enjoyed their "chicken chorizo tacos" whatever that is.

I spent some time at the Pierponts bar waiting for the westbound Southwest Chief. Ended up cutting my departure a little close thanks to a wide selection of liquors. Also enjoyed their "chicken chorizo tacos" whatever that is.
Thanks-is that in the station? Never mind, googled it, looks like it is. If I can find a place to dump bags for a few hours, think I'll make a reservation, looks like exactly what Im looking for!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks-is that in the station? Never mind, googled it, looks like it is. If I can find a place to dump bags for a few hours, think I'll make a reservation, looks like exactly what Im looking for!
No problem. I had my usual rollaboard and a laptop bag which they could easily handle. Most Amtrak stations don't have anything this nice or convenient. I don't visit Kansas City often but if anyone else is passing through I wouldn't hesitate to point them in the same direction. I'm not sure the full restaurant was open, might have just been the bar, but the kitchen was still open when I ordered some appetizers. My information isn't that old but I think it's a good idea to give them a call to double check closing times and such.

venue_pierponts-2.jpg

There are three options in the station. One is Pierpont's, a high end steak place in the east corner of the station. The other is Union Café on the south side of the station. The last is Harvey's a old fashion diner on the east side of the station. It is only open to three PM. If you like BBQ there is a place right across the bridge over the tracks to the north of the station. Also the nearby Crown Center has a food court. The Chief still leave KC around 11 with not much to see until you get into western Kansas. After breakfast in the dinner, head for the lounge car and spend the day seeing the sights of Raton Pass. This year might be the last time you get to ride this route if the Chief get rerouted to the southern line though OK and TX. The track out in western Kansas has become rough with the effect of the Chief losing time on this part due to the slower speeds.

There is an enclosed walkway that will take you across the street to the Crown Center Shops with lots of dining options. It's a very enjoyable walk since it's temperature controlled. KC Union Station is beautiful. The Crown Center shops will have cheaper eating options if that interests you.

Union Cafe is reported as closed since 2010 or thereabouts.

03:00PM Harvey Closes

06:00PM Crown Center Closes (Mo-We,Su)

09:00PM Crown Center Closes (Th-Sa), Pierponts Closes (Su-Mo)

10:00PM Pierponts Closes (Tu-Sa)

10:11PM Westbound Southwest Chief Arrives

10:45PM Westbound Southwest Chief Departs

My experience (Summer 2013) was that the bar at Pierponts remained open long enough for you to be the last person boarding before departure. Can't ask for more than that.

Aside from the above restaurant/lounge suggestions, you can eat and drink at the Westin's Brasserie.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/dining/attraction_detail.html?propertyID=1039&attractionId=29011

which is connected to Union Station via "The Link"

According to their webpage, the lounge is open until 12:45p.

And, it's worth the walk just to see the lobby, rock formations and waterfall.

When you enter the hotel, go through the lobby to the escalators and go up and you will be greeted by the sight of this waterfall. The rock formations were exposed during construction and were incorporated into the fountain. A man-made stream runs through the foliage providing the water for the waterfall.

Aside from the above restaurant/lounge suggestions, you can eat and drink at the Westin's Brasserie.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/dining/attraction_detail.html?propertyID=1039&attractionId=29011

which is connected to Union Station via "The Link"

According to their webpage, the lounge is open until 12:45p.
Your link says 12:45AM, which is much better actually. Sounds like it might be worth a try next time I find myself in KCY. Probably still end up at Pierponts as departure approaches. I like the idea of supporting in-station bars but I don't mind exploring a bit beyond if the reviews are fond.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pier points is awesome. Great food and service. That airport is a long way from downtown. One time I returned a rental car late at night and there was no taxi. I was lucky and got a ride into town.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back