Kennesaw Georgia

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

XNWA

Service Attendant
I went to my son's wedding today in Kennesaw, Ga. and saw the signs for the railroad museum. Has anyone visited this place? I would think it might be worth going back to visit it sometime.

I went to my son's wedding today in Kennesaw, Ga. and saw the signs for the railroad museum. Has anyone visited this place? I would think it might be worth going back to visit it sometime.
I made it a point to visit the Kennesaw museum last year, and I'd certainly recommend it for any railfan visiting the Atlanta area. The centerpiece (and proverbial climax) of the museum is the General, known for its famous "Great Locomotive Chase" during the Civil War with the Texan, which is housed at the Cyclorama museum in Atlanta. The General has received a top-notch home in the Kennesaw museum, while the Texan (although well-housed) is a bit neglected in that the museum gives very little information on the engine, and it's there primarily as a point of interest in a museum otherwise dedicated to something else (the Cyclorama). Still, you need to see both in order to really complete the "experience."

The Kennesaw museum features many other rail-oriented exhibits on your way to the General's room, and you should expect to spend at least an hour and a half to two hours there—as many as three if you plan on really reading everything in the museum.

-Rafi

Well, I am glad this post came up. I, too, have visited the Kennesaw Museum, however it was probably over 20 or 25 years ago. I have lived in nearby Atlanta for 29 years. Guess it is about time to go back!!

Of interest to me is that the locomotive "General", already referred to above, used to be housed at Union Station, Chattanooga, the favorite station of my childhood.

So, I grew up taking the General very much for granted, especially since locomotives were not as interesting to me as the equipment behind them. But I guess it could re-kindle a fresh appreciaton there of if I visited agian.

The General, as I said, was housed atthe Union Station ( The Nashville, Chattanooga and St Louis Railroad -taken over in 1957 by Louisville and Nashville Railroad).

Incidentally, the other station in Chattanooga, the Southern Railways"s Terminal Station (known today as the Chattanooga Choo Choo) housed the Best Friend of Charleston. NOTE: It might have been a replica, not sure--but I know the General was the original. Now THAT is an antique. It is even older than I. I do not know where it is today--could probably find out very easily on the net..

I Just know I took both of those fine locomotives as well as so much equipment for granted in my childhood.

Last edited by a moderator:
The engineer of The General, played by Fess Parker in the movie, is buried in the National Cemetery in Chattanooga. Here is the unique gravestone as seen from the tourist train in that area.

124794533-L.jpg

Well, I am glad this post came up. I, too, have visited the Kennesaw Museum, however it was probably over 20 or 25 years ago. I have lived in nearby Atlanta for 29 years. Guess it is about time to go back!!
Of interest to me is that the locomotive "General", already referred to above, used to be housed at Union Station, Chattanooga, the favorite station of my childhood.

So, I grew up taking the General very much for granted, especially since locomotives were not as interesting to me as the equipment behind them. But I guess it could re-kindle a fresh appreciaton there of if I visited agian.

The General, as I said, was housed atthe Union Station ( The Nashville, Chattanooga and St Louis Railroad -taken over in 1957 by Louisville and Nashville Railroad).

Incidentally, the other station in Chattanooga, the Southern Railways"s Terminal Station (known today as the Chattanooga Choo Choo) housed the Best Friend of Charleston. NOTE: It might have been a replica, not sure--but I know the General was the original. Now THAT is an antique. It is even older than I. I do not know where it is today--could probably find out very easily on the net..

I Just know I took both of those fine locomotives as well as so much equipment for granted in my childhood.
Yes Bill,

I have lived in the Atlanta area for 27 years, Stockbridge, so I guess its about time I need to drive up to Kennesaw in the near future and visit this site.

Yes Bill,

I have lived in the Atlanta area for 27 years, Stockbridge, so I guess its about time I need to drive up to Kennesaw in the near future and visit this site.

Yea, I have been there a couple of times. It is worth a visit. The other bonus is that CSX has a its huge double track main that runs right by the museum. I remember watching the video that they show upstairs and would often laugh as the horn blasts for the crossing right outside made it hard to hear at times.

I would also add that there is a great model train shop right nearby, across the tracks (from the depot) on the left side. I am not sure if it is still there however, it has been 2 years since I have made it up to Kennesaw. With going to school out here in Cali, I doubt I will have much of an opportunity to get back unless its when i'm back during the summer.

Well P-42, don't be such a stranger!!! Do check in more often.

And, yes, it is neat that the CSX tracks are out there.This speaks to both General (the locomotive) memories,and my own childhood memories on those tracks coming from Chattanooga on "the Georgian" to spend the day in Atlanta

Any time I am exposed to those very busy tracks I enjoy hearing and seeing all the freight trains. But also silently and unfortunately sometimes think--- how very very crowded it would be to try to sneak a passenger train into that picture.

And as to watching a video hearing train noises and a real train outside, reminds of Tom Hanks in "Big". He was in a hotel room in a "questionable" area of the Big Apple. He was watching crime on TV and then heard the same noises outside.

But, again--welcome back P-42. even though you are in California.

Well P-42, don't be such a stranger!!! Do check in more often.
And, yes, it is neat that the CSX tracks are out there.This speaks to both General (the locomotive) memories,and my own childhood memories on those tracks coming from Chattanooga on "the Georgian" to spend the day in Atlanta

Any time I am exposed to those very busy tracks I enjoy hearing and seeing all the freight trains. But also silently and unfortunately sometimes think--- how very very crowded it would be to try to sneak a passenger train into that picture.

And as to watching a video hearing train noises and a real train outside, reminds of Tom Hanks in "Big". He was in a hotel room in a "questionable" area of the Big Apple. He was watching crime on TV and then heard the same noises outside.

But, again--welcome back P-42. even though you are in California.

Thanks Bill! :) Hope ATL is doing well. I have so much work I usually just have time to quickly check the boards and don't have time to post. But when I can, ill always come back!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am currently working on my doctorate at Kennesaw State University. I was at the museum once when I first moved here three years ago. I am overdue for another visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back