Keystone power

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

capltd29

Lead Service Attendant
Hey, I havent posted in a while, but i had a question that i was wondering out.

I was wondering what type of power is used on the new Keystone Schedule. Is there catentary?

I didnt think amtrak had any extra AEM-7s.

info appreciated

Jon Parker

Well there always was catenary on the Keystone line, it just wasn't energized in some places and in other places it was in bad shape, possible even a few places where it had been torn down for a short distance. The reconstruction project fixed all that, as well as making track and signaling improvements.

So as of Oct 30, they are now once again running mainly all electric service on the Keystone line. I've heard rumors that one or two of the trains that don't run east of Philly, still use P42's, but I wouldn't say that's been confirmed.

Otherwise the Keystone service now uses either AEM7's or HHP-8's to haul the trains. Amtrak doesn't exactly have an abundance of extra electric motors sitting around, but with the faster running times, I guess that they figured out a way to meet the demmand.

Actually if they really wanted to they could continue to run diesels out to Harrisburg, and still meet these sped up run times. The big thing now is that they don't have to do the engine change (and associate safety junk) in Philly. An Engine change takes about 15 minutes to do. Switching ends takes about a minute since you just need to flip a few switches and do a brake test. That's where the big time savings comes from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back