King Street Station in Seattle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steve_relei

Lead Service Attendant
Washington Notebook: $17 million restoration on track for King Street Station

Monday, August 18, 2003

MARGARET ELLIS, Columbian staff writer

The King Street Station in Seattle, which sees Amtrak passengers into the city, is going to be remodeled to the tune of $17 million, according to the Seattle Times.

Marble walls will be patched, painted boards will be taken off windows, and plumbing will be installed to allow a coffee or food cart to provide service.

More train passengers are pouring into the rundown, dirty station. In 1994, 340,000 travelers came through. In 2002, that went up to 600,000.

A second phase to the remodeling plan has also been proposed. It would include restoration of the 45-foot ceiling, now veiled by dingy ceiling tiles. It would also pay for more tracks and reconstruction of elevated streets around the terminal.

That would cost between $135 million and $175 million.

Finally!!! It was completed in 1906 and had all the trappings of that other buildings--including other train stations--had at the time. It was very ornate. The clock tower was patterned after the St. Mark's Clock Tower in Venice. Portland's Union Station has been restored and is a beautiful station and is probably the oldest major station (opened 1896) still in use. Seattle should have no less.

I always think that restoration to any train station is a good thing, it preserves our history, rather than replacing it with something modern. There are some exceptions, such as the Auto Train stations, those need to be built new. But other stations like Winter Park, Orlando, and others should be preserved, much like they plan to do in Seattle.

steve_relei said:
A second phase to the remodeling plan has also been proposed. It would include restoration of the 45-foot ceiling, now veiled by dingy ceiling tiles.
Some of those dingy tiles are missing and you can see the orginal architecture, it's beautiful.

As it is now the station is a bit of a dive. I am really looking forward to seeing the restoration work completed. If you go into the station you can see drawings of what it will look like when all is done. It's going to be awesome. Can't wait to see it!

They really need a cafe of some sort in the station, right now there are just a couple of vending machines. My vote, I know I don't have one, is a starbucks!

Diane said:
They really need a cafe of some sort in the station, right now there are just a couple of vending machines. My vote, I know I don't have one, is a starbucks!
Just what Seattle needs...

B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back