Kissimmee Station Taxis

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be taking Silver Star to WDW in Sept. from Cary, NC to the Kissimmee, FL station. Does anyone know if taxi's will be readily available at the station when we arrive? Also, any idea how much the taxi fare will be to WDW? Finally, on the return trip back to the station, how much time should I allow myself for the taxi ride and to arrive in plenty of time not to miss the return train? We've taken the SS before heading north but never south or overnight. Will be interesting sleeping in the Coach car, but I like the idea of boarding the train, going to sleep and waking up in Florida (hopefully).

You're better off taking the bus then relying on a taxi. The taxis around here either show up late or never show up at all. If they do show up, they can be expensive. A couple years ago, I met someone who paid $100 for a cab fare. She realized her mistake after that. At $4.50 for an all day pass, you can take just about any bus in the Lynx system.

http://www.golynx.com/maps-schedules/routes-schedules.stml

You don't have to go far either to take the bus either, the Lynx Kissimmee Intermodal Station is literally next door to the Amtrak station. Link 56 heads to Disney World. It will take about an hour for the bus to get there though.

http://www.golynx.com/maps-schedules/routes-detail.stml?portalProcess_dd_0_1_1=showPublicPosting&calendar_entry_id=2424

Last edited by a moderator:
Aloha

A long time ago I traveled to a Convention in Orlando, also visited WDW. Because of the Arival time at the airport I arranged with a Limo service I found on line. Do not remember fare, but semmed to be reasonable, especially at pickup hour. I also arranged for them to take me to the train station after the convention and park activities were over. The driver also was familier with a Hobby store near the route so a stop there was thrown in.

Sorry I do not remember cost, but It seemed reasonable for all that I needed.

There are always taxis and van service at Orlando station. I am not sure about Kissimmee. Last time I was there, I seem to recall seeing a couple of taxis. Mears transportation owns much of the transportation in the area.

Depending on how much luggage you have, the bus may be problematic.

The bus wouldn't be doable - too much luggage. I may give Mears a call and see if they have a car service that could pick us up. We could get off at Orlando, but I was just thinking Kissimmee would be closer. Maybe I am wrong. I've heard the Orlando station is not in a real good part of the city.

The bus wouldn't be doable - too much luggage. I may give Mears a call and see if they have a car service that could pick us up. We could get off at Orlando, but I was just thinking Kissimmee would be closer. Maybe I am wrong. I've heard the Orlando station is not in a real good part of the city.
The Orlando station is very close to Orlando Regional Medical Center in a somewhat industrial area. I think the neighborhood is perfectly safe, but others may not.

That maybe the best bet since you're going to have luggage. As for the Orlando station, it's near US. 441, which unfortunately is not a good area really. Well I can't really say what goes on exactly, but I've driven around there before.

I could tell stories as to what I've seen just driving through that area alone, whether day time or night. Like pennyk stated, the hospital is near the station.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the hotels have arrangements with Mears for shuttles. I would suggest calling and asking, they may be able to help, or at least offer suggestions. My last trip I went into Orlando and picked up a car, but I know a number of people had a Mears bus.

I'd go to Kissimmee, lots of reasonsble hotels and motels. Some have shuttles to WDW and as was said, may pick you up upon request @ Amtrak. You could also get a cab to your hotel or car service.

Oops forgot to say that I am staying with my sister at WDW. Just need to get from the station to the park. She flying in with her family and I will be start my vacation a day early in NY and be riding in.

Three room suite so I can close the door if the kids get loud. Strange how my sister will sneak in and watch TV with me when that happens.

Staying at WDW or close to there you are better coming into Kissimmee. For someone staying in the area of Universal Studios, Orlando is better. I've always used Mears and found them to be very professional and polite. Their website has a fare estimator as well, so you can calculate the estimated cost of the trip. Depending on your hotel in WDW the price may vary: The Magic Kingdom is furthest away from everything, and therefore the most expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back