L. A. Departure time

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slither

Train Attendant
Just received an email in regards to a trip on the Texas Eagle in March. It looks like they have moved the L.A. Departure time up a couple hours to 8:00 P.M. Insted of the 10:00 P. M. Departure. Does anyone know if this is a temporary change or is it going to be permenant? Thanks for your info.

It seems temporary - a check of Arrow shows the revised departure time for 1/28 through 3/22 inclusive.

The time appears to stay in the schedule until ELP.

Doubtful since the current bean counter cuts and Boardmans promise to the Congressional Mico- Managers to reduce food and beverage losses are driving Amtrak operations policy!

The CONO serves dinner out of CHI with an 8 pm departure ( regular schedule) so as was said, there's a slim chance but I'd say its Very Slim to None!!!!

I just received an email from Amtrak confirming an 8pm departure in February. After reading numerous posts on this site about the sad state of affairs, I'm considering canceling and just flying to San Antonio. Maybe LD is dead.

Removed - Personal attack on another member
Flying is a perfectly reasonable option for many travelers given Amtrak's slow, infrequent service along this route. In terms of unwanted law enforcement encounters, you're much more likely to be the subject of an intrusive search if you were to drive this route.

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't a personal attack on another member at all, just a comment on flying. Perhaps some people like being prodded and herded I like cattle, I don't.

Last February I took the SL out of LAX at 8PM. The coach car I was in was full. We arrived in Mariposa about 30 minutes "late" and sat there for 1:30 and left right on time.

I did see 2 places where "BNSF?" had lights set up to start doing their work as soon as we went through. We arrived in Tucson on time.

A couple days before that I was on a bus bridge on the San Joaquin Stockton to Turlock. We waited for a train to arrive from Bakersfield. As soon as the northbound passengers got off we got on and backed all the way to Bakersfield.

It wasn't a personal attack on another member at all, just a comment on flying. Perhaps some people like being prodded and herded I like cattle, I don't.
I take it you haven't been to an airport or a cattle farm recently. Because the two are quite dissimilar in reality

I just received an email from Amtrak confirming an 8pm departure in February. After reading numerous posts on this site about the sad state of affairs, I'm considering canceling and just flying to San Antonio. Maybe LD is dead.
Perhaps you should read more of the posts that talk about the good experiences on LD trains, particularly the trip reports.

Honestly, I'd prefer departing at 8:00 instead of 10:00. I'm not sure why this is a bad thing?

Perhaps you should read more of the posts that talk about the good experiences on LD trains, particularly the trip reports.

Honestly, I'd prefer departing at 8:00 instead of 10:00. I'm not sure why this is a bad thing?
*Like!!*

In regards to my original post on this topic, I would be pleased with a 8 P.M. departure from L. A. A couple of glasses of wine and get my bed ready. Unfortunately we are actually departing from Maricopa, and the email is showing a 3:40 A.M. departure from there. Thought about flying to L.A. and leaving from there, but will probably leave things as they are. Should have plenty of time to nap between Maricopa, and Chicago.

In regards to my original post on this topic, I would be pleased with a 8 P.M. departure from L. A. A couple of glasses of wine and get my bed ready. Unfortunately we are actually departing from Maricopa, and the email is showing a 3:40 A.M. departure from there. Thought about flying to L.A. and leaving from there, but will probably leave things as they are. Should have plenty of time to nap between Maricopa, and Chicago.
Oh, yeah, 3:40 would be worse than 5:40. That makes sense.

In my case, I'd probably just stay up and then go to sleep once I boarded, but I'm a certified night owl. :)

My routine is so locked in that I'm lucky to still be awake at 10 P. M. Maybe I'll try to turn the lights off about 6 P.M. ( really just kid'n ),but thanks for all the responses, and we're already looking forward to the ride.

I take it you haven't been to an airport or a cattle farm recently. Because the two are quite dissimilar in reality
The standards of treatment of cattle have dropped, yes. An airport is more like a boutique organic free-range cattle farm. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct. The cattle are treated with more dignity. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back