LA to NY (and back). Help, please???

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B) Just retired! Planning an LA to NY (or Boston) trip and return for me and Mrs. Trainster. Leaving April 15 or so from LAX. Have 4 weeks to have fun on the rails. Bedrooms or roomettes all the way. I've travelled most western trains but have NO CLUE about anything east of Denver. My rules are: no buses/cars/airplanes. Trains only! Open to any suggestions!

Thinking (so far):

1. Sunset to New Orleans (layover);

2. Crescent to NY (layover);

3. THEN: take the Lake Shore (or Three Rivers) from NY to Chicago OR Cardinal back to DC and on to Chicago; maybe Metroliner back to DC and Capitol to Chicago...

4. THEN, Chief back to LAX OR Empire Builder to Portland and Starlate back to LAX (no Cal Zephyr-boring to Denver and done the rest already).

WHEW! That's alot of blackened catfish! Any Help, please!

:D

Couple of suggestions from me. First the Three Rivers is dead by mid-March, so throw that one out. Next, I would take the City of New Orleans to Chicago, then LSL out to Boston or New York, your choice. From there catch the Cardinal or Captiol (again your choice) to Chicago. From there take the EB to Portland, and the Starlate from there.

On a personal note, consider taking an Acela First Class to Washington to catch up with the Capitol or Cardinal, it's an excellent experience. Also, I don't know how you stand financially, but if you need a nice hotel at a low cost in New York I would highly reccomend the Hotel Newton on the Upper West Side at 96th and Broadway. I stayed there for six nights a couple of years ago and was thuroughly impressed with the value, location, and overall experience. Check out their website. Also note it's an easy Subway ride on a 2/3 Express Train or a 1/9 Local from Penn Station right to the Newton's door step at 96th Street.

If I were you, and assuming that cost isn't too much of a factor, I'd do the following.

1) Chief out of LA to Chicago.

2) Cardinal from Chicago to NYC.

3) Acela Express to Boston

4) Lake Shore Limited to Chicago

5) Empire Builder to Portland

6) Coast Starlight to LA.

I think that the Chief is more scenic than the Sunset, and the Cardinal is certainly better than the Crescent. In fact the Cardinal probably has the most scenic stretch of any train east of the Mississippi.

The Acela is of course Amtak's new high speed train and the stretch from NY to Boston is both the most scenic stretch and the only part where the train actually hits it's top speed of 150. If cost is no object, then book First Class on the Acela and let them serve your meal to you at your seat, plus you get free booze too, all included in the price of a first class ticket.

Now if you have your heart set on New Orleans, then take Acela back to DC from NY and then catch either the Capitol Limited or the Cardinal. Be warned however, that in April you'll hit the most scenic stretch of the Card's run after dark. You should also note that the Crescent leaves New Orleans very early in the morning, so I hope you're an early riser.

Regardless of what you choose, have a great trip and just make sure to allow for late trains in all of your connections.

Back