Labor Negotiations soon!!!!!!!!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Miami Joe

Lead Service Attendant
Amtrak's workers have been working since 1999 without a contract!!!! :angry: No pay raises, just COLA increases!!!!!!!

COLA is not to be considered "a raise" by Federal law.

After many attempts at the table individually, the 3 unions(TWU, IBEW and IAW) have joined together and requested that a Presidential Review Board be assembled. Since Amtrak refuses to negotiate in "good faith" and all attempts at mediation have failed, the request for arbitration has been filed. :eek:

The unions know that arbitration could favor Amtrak because of the Bush administration, but all else has failed!!!!!!!!!

If the the Board decides against arbitration, the union are allowed to "strike" after 30 days!!!!!!!!

MJ B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Under the Railway Labor Act, it isn't possible to work without a contract, as contracts in the railroad industry covered by the RLA do not expire. They remain open for amendment by a carrier or a union in the form of a "Section 6 Notice". After a new contract has been ratified, it's a long, arduous process until the next one because of the steps involved. One may read all about the Railway Labor Act & the bargaining process at http://www.fra.dot.gov/us/content/955. Worthwhile reading, without the usual "boilerplate".

The unions involved in the current situation you describe are the International Association of Machinists (IAM), the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW), & the Joint Council of Carmen, Helpers, Coach Cleaners & Apprentices (TCU/TWU). This information is from the Transport Workers Union (TWU) website.

Correct title is Presidential Emergency Board. There are other steps in the process so the point of the unions resorting to "self-help", a strike, is down the line aways.

Amtrak's workers have been working since 1999 without a contract!!!! :angry: No pay raises, just COLA increases!!!!!!!MJ B)
Isn't a Cost of Living increase a pay increase? So "no pay raises" is false.
A "pay raise" in this context means negotiated increases in the hourly pay rate, usually over a period of several years. Cost of Living Adjustments (COLA's) are minimal & I doubt any railroad worker would consider them a "raise".

As sympathetic I am to the plight of those that work for Amtrak, I think if Amtrak workers struck, Congress would simply turn off the tap of federal dollars. Sen. Sununu's dream of passenger rail only on the Northeast corridor would come true.

Rick

A "pay raise" in this context means negotiated increases in the hourly pay rate, usually over a period of several years. Cost of Living Adjustments (COLA's) are minimal & I doubt any railroad worker would consider them a "raise".
Maybe a railroad worker would not consider it a "raise", but an action that increases pay is considered a "raise" to the rest of the western world. I would be curious to hear what "minimal" is. The actual increase in the CPI? A fraction of that increase? Some predetermined percentage?

Regardless, the assertion that Amtrak workers have not had a raise since 1999 is false. Maybe it is not the "raise" they would have liked, but they certainly are not working for the same pay rate as they were in 1999. And if they have the same medical benefits conditions as 1999, then I suggest they are way ahead of the game and should count their blessings.

As sympathetic I am to the plight of those that work for Amtrak, I think if Amtrak workers struck, Congress would simply turn off the tap of federal dollars. Sen. Sununu's dream of passenger rail only on the Northeast corridor would come true.
Rick
Certainly the political climate in Washington right now is not conducive to a strike by rail workers, Amtrak or otherwise. I would think that the three Amtrak unions mentioned are hoping for the November elections to bring a Democratic Party majority in either the House or Senate.

Maybe a railroad worker would not consider it a "raise", but an action that increases pay is considered a "raise" to the rest of the western world. I would be curious to hear what "minimal" is. The actual increase in the CPI? A fraction of that increase? Some predetermined percentage?
Yes they are minimal to say the least, the last one was $0.01 per hour or approx. $20.00 per year. The rate for the involved unions is almost $6,000 per year under freight rates and almost $20,000 per year under the highest paid commuter rail lines. Amtrak has stalled the bargaining procedure and still does not bargain in good faith!

(edited to fix quotes - AmtrakWPK)

Last edited:
I agree with many of the posts!

After seeing what is happening with the pensions of airline workers, the buyouts of autoworkers, changes in overtime, etc., it's obvious the Bush adminidtration is anti-labor!!!!!

Amtraks payscale is currently $6.00 behind the average transit employee.

Amtrak's last offer was a $2.75 increase over 3 years, " no back pay" for the last 7 yrs, increased employee contribution for medical, payroll deductions to cover retroactive medical benefits and reclassification of jobs to "Composite Mechanic".

After "crunching the numbers", the hourly wage increase was 24 cents an hour!!!!!!!!!!

MJ B)

Interesting the unions are pulling this off in an election year. As others have noted, there are plusses and minuses to this strategy.

I do wish the union members well. I just hope their strategy doesn't backfire, and kill intercity passenger rail service in the USA once and for all.

The Unions will not strike, which is why Amtrak isn't making concessions. If the Union's go on strike the contract (as it was explained to me) becomes null and void. So a lot of the perks that are in the contract would evaporate if they strike.

I am a Union Member and have been since 1987. I have always told people that I'm 51% company man and 49% Teamster. That always "agitates" some guys. I try real hard to "walk the middle" of the line with both. I do some volunteer work with my Union (going to our State Capitol) and I always remember who my employer is. If my employer is not making any money, I will not have a job. If my union wasn't there, I wouldn't make the kind of benefits and wages I make. I hope and pray that the two sides can come together at this point in time. To try a strike with the current administration (Bush) is very risky. This administration dislikes labor as much as they dislike Sadaam! :lol: This is my dream: The bill that Trent Lott (yes the Republican) goes through with NO amendments etc. Amtrak starts to re-vive or rebuild equipment and routes, the employees get a decent raise and benefits they have stay intact, and we all get a larger choice of trains to take instead of airplanes! Ok, dream over, now back to reality! :)

The Unions will not strike, which is why Amtrak isn't making concessions. If the Union's go on strike the contract (as it was explained to me) becomes null and void. So a lot of the perks that are in the contract would evaporate if they strike.
There are other cards the union could play, assuming they have a "strike authorization" vote from their membership. I'll cite one example, used by the CWA against Verizon.

Loosely paraphrasing the story here, CWA takes strike authorization vote, gets it from membership. Union leadership announces strike for future Monday morning at midnight. Verizon management gets fired up, puts on management crews, hires replacement workers, etc. Three or four hours before strike is set to take place, CWA announces, "Just kidding! Our people will report to work as scheduled..." Verizon management is out millions for hiring people they don't need, managers are cheesed off because of added stress, union laughs.

Incidentally, CWA and Verizon agreed to a contract a couple weeks after that stunt.

So striking isn't the only form of industrial action a union or group of unions could take. I'll close with one other example of activism I read about. One union organizer organizing a campaign suggested "bean day." On the day of an opera or symphony presentation in town, the organizer proposed buying a block of seats, and before the show, feeding the union members attending -- you guessed it -- bean soup, chili with beans, bean dip, etc.; I'll leave what would happen during the show to your imagination.

Imagine, if you will, what would happen if Amtrak's union leadership were as clever. What could Amtrak management say? No eating beans before a shift? Customer service will not be interrupted by passing gas?

Unions will have to be clever in this sort of a way to obtain contracts in the future. I know of one TV station in WV that has not had a new contract in about three years or so. Getting contracts these days is difficult.

Generally COLA increases for government workers has been in the 3-4% range, at least over the past several years. I believe this is the same level of increase seen in Soc. Sec. benefits, but I am not sure about that. In my mind, a COLA increase is a pay raise.

I have to agree with one of the previous posters, who indicated that if Amtrak employee contributions to medical/dental benefits have not increased, they are lucky, since many corporations have decreased their contribution and increased the amount paid by the employee.

I would also be surprised if the Amtrak union employees went out on strike, since, as I understand it, this would give Amtrak the ability to void the existing contracts and work rules.

As an airline employee, I would like to say that if an employee in the intercity transportation industry is not getting a pay CUT these days, they should be happy. Jobs in the transportation industry are going away, so if you can't find one anywhere else that pays you more than you're making now, you'd better hope that your job stays -- with or without a pay raise.

Mr Guest as Amtrak has no problem sending tax money overseas and has no problem on screwing American taxpayers I do not believe in laying down and play dead.

I say enough on erosion of rights and money for American workers while congress and the other freeloaders get raises.

Lets see who will pay these freeloaders in Congress when all jobs are outsourced and nobody pays taxes.

saying tat Union and other employees have to keep what they got and not ask for upkeep is ludicrous and a defeatist statement

The idea of a "strike" is scary!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

I'm surprised Amtrak doesn't file bankruptcy to void labor contracts, reorganize and use non-union labor!

They already have Herzog in facilities!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

The idea of a "strike" is scary!!!!!!!!! :unsure:
I'm surprised Amtrak doesn't file bankruptcy to void labor contracts, reorganize and use non-union labor!

They already have Herzog in facilities!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:
MJ, bankruptcy for Amtrak would really kick over a bunch of people's applecarts. Here's a hard link (I hope) to the GAO Report of Issues Concerning an Amtrak Bankruptcy.

Read it through. Even though the report dates from 2002, the choices the feds would have to make are not pretty.

I wasn't aware Herzog was already in Amtrak facilities. Thanks for the tip -- I'll pass it along.

Herzog is an independent rail operator. They have contracts for commuter rail service throughout the country, but I was not aware they were working on Amtrak property and/or in place in Amtrak facilities. Can anyone be more specific?

Herzog is an independent rail operator. They have contracts for commuter rail service throughout the country, but I was not aware they were working on Amtrak property and/or in place in Amtrak facilities. Can anyone be more specific?
From looking at their web-site they have similarities to R J Corman Co.

It's been a few years, but we had a few foremen apply for a Managers job in the Carolinas. I belive it was servicing the Piedmont trains.

They were the only Amtrak employees on the property and watched over the Herzog employees.

Herzog operates Miami's Tri-Rail system.

Word has it that Herzog lost the contract and Amtrak bid for the contract.

Herzog was making $5-$6 more an hour, but paid for uniforms and medical. Rumor has it that the employees recently joined a union.

Will try to verify.

MJ B)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back