Lake Placid, Saranac Lake, Westport NY questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little confused. I wondered if someone can help

Lake Placid, New York and Saranac Lake, New York both have train stations

From what I can tell you can go from New York City to either of these places using Amtrak and from these places to New York City

However, when i look up online the information i find says you have to go by train from New York city to Wesport, New York then catch a cab from there to either Saranac or Lake Placid?

Am I missing something here?

Lastly, and this is a little off topic of Amtrak but do you know if Freight Trains go to either of those three places ( lake placid, saranac lake, and wesport)?

Thanks

Before Covid, Amtrak ran bus service from Westport to Lake Placid. Then the border with Canada was closed, and Amtrak service, which previously ran past Westport to Montreal, was cut back to Albany. This service is just returning now, and it appears the bus has not resumed, yet.

Before Covid, Amtrak ran bus service from Westport to Lake Placid. Then the border with Canada was closed, and Amtrak service, which previously ran past Westport to Montreal, was cut back to Albany. This service is just returning now, and it appears the bus has not resumed, yet.
Ah. Thanks.

Yeah I also found some more information.

It appears to get a train from New York to Lake Placid or Saranac, you only have two options

New York city to Westport then catch a shuttle or cab to either town ( rent a car also )
New York city to Plattsburgh then catch a shuttle or cab to either town ( rent a car also )

Lake placid train station stopped running to New York back in 1965 ;)

Saranac train station stopped back in 1965 too

So that's the options.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Until a few years before the pandemic, the Adirondack Scenic Railroad ran a tourist train between the Lake Placid and Saranac Lake stations. It did not have any specific connection to Amtrak at Westport, although as others have noted above, there was a bus/van service connecting to Lake Placid from the Amtrak train at Westport. The Lake Placid-Saranac trains were halted amid a push by trail enthusiasts to have the state tear up the tracks between the two towns and replace them with a recreational trail -- an effort the state has supported.

Last time I went to Lake Placid we rented a car from Enterprise and they picked us up at West Port and drove us to Enterprise in Lake Placid to pick up the car. About a 40 min. ride if I remember correctly. The train trip up, though, was unbearably long for me that day, crowded in coach.

Until a few years before the pandemic, the Adirondack Scenic Railroad ran a tourist train between the Lake Placid and Saranac Lake stations. It did not have any specific connection to Amtrak at Westport, although as others have noted above, there was a bus/van service connecting to Lake Placid from the Amtrak train at Westport. The Lake Placid-Saranac trains were halted amid a push by trail enthusiasts to have the state tear up the tracks between the two towns and replace them with a recreational trail -- an effort the state has supported.

Which was a shame because before pulling up the tracks they had just started the rail bike program. I never got to ride one but those who did really enjoyed it. I was living in Saranac Lake when they first brought back the SL to LP service, and it was nice hearing the train in town again. The goal had originally been to continue service to Lake Clear and Tupper Lake but it never happened.

Back