Lake Shore Limited discussion 2023 Q4 - 2024

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m due to leave from Albany Saturday on a sort of a circle trip … kind of a broken circle, due to costs on some segments. The Governor has issued a warning about possible flooding in NYC overnight and tomorrow, and weather looks bad in Boston as well.
Anyone want to venture a guess about the chances of the train running tomorrow? I see the equipment has reached Boston and NY, which is usually a good thing but also means it can get trapped there, so there’s no way of starting the train in ALB.
It would really foul up the whole trip to lose the LSL on the front end. If there’s some warning I can try to jump on a Southwest flight to Midway and catch the Empire Builder there on Sunday.

Don’t panic. The railway runs next to the Hudson River. It can be impacted by extreme weather. Your train has a higher chance of been cancelled by Amtrak for potential disruption before it has any real impact from the storm.

You have a backup, so head for the station for a on-time departure. Deal with any changes as they happen. You have to remember last weekend we had heavy rain, that did cause problems. So this weekend the Governor is trying to get in front of the angry crowds.

I’m due to leave from Albany Saturday on a sort of a circle trip … kind of a broken circle, due to costs on some segments. The Governor has issued a warning about possible flooding in NYC overnight and tomorrow, and weather looks bad in Boston as well.
Anyone want to venture a guess about the chances of the train running tomorrow? I see the equipment has reached Boston and NY, which is usually a good thing but also means it can get trapped there, so there’s no way of starting the train in ALB.
It would really foul up the whole trip to lose the LSL on the front end. If there’s some warning I can try to jump on a Southwest flight to Midway and catch the Empire Builder there on Sunday.
Well, when NYC got 6-plus inches of rain last Friday, the Lake Shore did run in both directions, though it was delayed when the Hudson Line was shut down for about 2.5 hours by high water. The westbound wound up departing NYP about three hours late but didn't lose significantly more time after that. So far, the predicted rainfall total from this storm is not as high as in that last storm.

Thanks all for the reassuring words. Everything seems to be on time. The great broken circle tour is about to get underway.
I’m waiting in Albany and there are 6-8 of those old Pullman cars lined up on the track waiting to attach to something. I saw two others go south on an earlier train. Attached photo only shows half of it. It’s the best shot I could get.

Attachments

• 16242DB1-C2A7-45A7-80F9-416C45622760.jpeg
    16242DB1-C2A7-45A7-80F9-416C45622760.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 1
Has anyone boarded from the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge recently? I am wondering if they still close the lounge well before train boarding time, and send everyone down to the main boarding area to sit and wait.

Reason I am asking, is because I will put my bag in the luggage room when I arrive on the EB. I want to go out for a walk and dinner with my nephew and his wife. It would be nice to know ahead of time how many hours we will have (assuming the EB is on-time, not a given in winter).

I have a mid January trip on 49, sleeper ticket. I have never boarded out of Moynihan lounge. How does that work? Thank you.

I have a mid January trip on 49, sleeper ticket. I have never boarded out of Moynihan lounge. How does that work? Thank you.
Basically they’ll give you the boarding track on the PA before its gets put on the boards. You can either go right to the official boarding gate and be early in line or do what I usually do (which is go to the elevator and get down to track level - or head down to west end concourse and go down stairs before they even open the official gate.) if you want to get down even earlier ask for a red cap at the lounge. The Moynihan lounge is the best lounge in a train station in North America by far - you’ll enjoy your visit.

Basically they’ll give you the boarding track on the PA before its gets put on the boards. You can either go right to the official boarding gate and be early in line or do what I usually do (which is go to the elevator and get down to track level - or head down to west end concourse and go down stairs before they even open the official gate.) if you want to get down even earlier ask for a red cap at the lounge. The Moynihan lounge is the best lounge in a train station in North America by far - you’ll enjoy your visit.
The track numbers for Amtrak are also posted on NJT Departure Vision, if you happen to be sitting in the food court or otherwise away from the screens and sounds. One nice thing about West Concourse (which is on the east side of the building, closest to 8th Avenue) is that you can see the trains.

Has anyone boarded from the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge recently? I am wondering if they still close the lounge well before train boarding time, and send everyone down to the main boarding area to sit and wait.

As of 2 Dec 2023 the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge will stay open into the LSL departure. Which was cancelled yesterday, but is running tonight. Subject to change of course. If it’s important something will go wrong.

As of 2 Dec 2023 the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge will stay open into the LSL departure. Which was cancelled yesterday, but is running tonight. Subject to change of course. If it’s important something will go wrong.
Thank you for the answer! That's good news! Last time I was in Chicago, I had to get back to the Metropolitan Lounge by 8pm. I was dreading having to do that in January, would much rather spend a little extra time with my local nephew ad his wife.

Thank you. Apologies for the late reply, had some water damage at the house that required us to move out for a bit. Question, Where do you access the elevator you mention? I have researched the west concourse and that also appears to be a good option. Thank you in advance.

Thank you. Apologies for the late reply, had some water damage at the house that required us to move out for a bit. Question, Where do you access the elevator you mention? I have researched the west concourse and that also appears to be a good option. Thank you in advance.
The elevators are towards the far 8th ave side of the hall. Take the one adjacent to the escalator gates.

On my YouTube video: Amtrak Lake Shore Limited - YouTube I got this comment: "this is to everyone that is watching this video right now just to let everyone know that starting in the year 2030 Amtrak lake shore limited will no longer have train services from Chicago to New York City the lake shore limited will be starting services from Chicago to Norfolk VA starting December thirty one of that year so that means it will be no longer Amtrak Northeast regional services anymore after that date their services will be terminated because Amtrak Northeast regional services will be starting services from Boston South to New York City services only and I hope that you read this message whenever you have the Time."

I have never heard anything like this and wanted to see if anyone has. Thank you!

On my YouTube video: Amtrak Lake Shore Limited - YouTube I got this comment: "this is to everyone that is watching this video right now just to let everyone know that starting in the year 2030 Amtrak lake shore limited will no longer have train services from Chicago to New York City the lake shore limited will be starting services from Chicago to Norfolk VA starting December thirty one of that year so that means it will be no longer Amtrak Northeast regional services anymore after that date their services will be terminated because Amtrak Northeast regional services will be starting services from Boston South to New York City services only and I hope that you read this message whenever you have the Time."

I have never heard anything like this and wanted to see if anyone has. Thank you!
The most charitable thing I can come up with is that he is getting it confused with some other initiative that is supposed to happen by 2030.

It was interesting to see that video with something resembling real food being served in the diner, pre "flex" dining.

That statement is inarticulate. I can't makes sense of it. Not to mention it was written 6 years ago and the person was projecting out to 2030.

There is not much truth to any of that incoherent comment. It is best to ignore it IMHO.

Logically this makes no sense whatsoever. Why would Amtrak cancel service between the 1st and 3rd biggest cities in the country to add service between the 3rd and whatever rank the Hampton Roads region comes in? Also if the desire is there to add a Chicago to Norfolk train it makes much more sense to extend the CL than reroute the LSL.

Have any of you ever had any issues with leaving your bags in the storage room in the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge? You know -- things like theft, or not having time to retrieve them when your train is called?
Never had an issue of theft, nor have I heard of it. The dragons won't allow anyone without a first class ticket into the lounge. Biggest problem, there isn't enough room and it gets over packed and can sometimes be a challenge to find a spot or get to your bag (s) that is (are) already stored.

There appears to be security camera(s) in the room. I like to place our bags on the top shelf, in clear camera view so that someone would likely show their face up to lift it down and show their face. Also they are usually heavy so it may deter a less strong criminal to find easier to reach bags.

Back